USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
May 19, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #2,416 of 6,526
Since Apple Music has introduced changes recently, if Apple does release a Meizu-like dongle or add HiRes to its devices, most of the USB audio dongles will become obsolete. I'm guessing that this thread will ultimately find the Apple dongle II to be the best overall dac adapter. if it came true.

May 19, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #2,417 of 6,526
Since Apple Music has introduced changes recently, if Apple does release a Meizu-like dongle or add HiRes to its devices, most of the USB audio dongles will become obsolete. I'm guessing that this thread will ultimately find the Apple dongle II to be the best overall dac adapter. if it came true.
Except for all us Android users who don't use Apple products and or streaming services :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 19, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,418 of 6,526
Will look into that. Cannot imagine a dongle by apple besides the one they sell already.

Quick heads up, I’ve got the ikko itm05 for my iphone (and seriously thinking of getting it for my iPad Pro) this is one of the best devices out there, i don’t get why it doesnt get any love, i would consider it almost in pair with my modded ltp s1, the sound is spectacular and super clean, soundstage is great and its super neutral (reminds me a lot of the qudelix 5k but on steroids) besides its the only one that its actually ready for portability, “the Patch” is the best on the go solution I’ve seen in any portable, and the capability of charging the device while using it its an amazing feature, battery usage doesnt seem any crazier than any other dongle (besides my iphone battery its at its 70% capability, I’m urged to either change it (the battery) or buy a new phone)

May 19, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #2,419 of 6,526
Apple will ensure that their $10 dongle becomes obsolete and they will now charge $50 for more or less the same dongle with just Hi-Res logo slapped on it. That's how they've ran their business in last decade or so. For all you know they might even change the lightening pin with the newer models.

May 19, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #2,420 of 6,526
But we have all been comparing DACs/dongles which all virtually measure transparent beyond audible limits 🤷‍♂️

Sounds like Apple products can avoid any scrutiny, even here!

I'm very green on testing gear but would really love to see some more opinions after some blind volume matched comparisons.

May 19, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #2,423 of 6,526
That link says CS43131 cannot be compared with Qualcomm or Realtek dongles.

May 19, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #2,424 of 6,526
Apple will ensure that their $10 dongle becomes obsolete and they will now charge $50 for more or less the same dongle with just Hi-Res logo slapped on it. That's how they've ran their business in last decade or so. For all you know they might even change the lightening pin with the newer models.
OK, but if Apple doesn't maintain the price to something lower than the already fairly affordable Meizu, or doesn't implement DSD or sth, then of course other dongles will continue to thrive.

I forgot to be more detailed, but I implied all this with the mention of 'Meizu'.
And really, when it comes to Apple all I care about is functionality - if even that's not up to scratch then there's no need to even mention it.

May 20, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #2,425 of 6,526
Thanks for the link and it seems a good audio adapter for the price. It is plug and play and uses the Asio driver for the ibasso DC03 if you need that.
it suffers phase shift issue exactly the same like what DC03 did. but DC03 fixed it via firmware update, but this thing doesn't even have a proper page to check for firmware update. they name this dac as CS-PRO audio because it uses cirrus logic dac chip while they have other dac called ESS-PRO audio and that pretty much self-explanatory.

in the end, i placed my order on tempotec sonata hd pro instead of this. if there is firmware to fix this CS-PRO audio dac phase shift issue, i would say this is a better buy than tempotec sonata hd pro. it comes with type c port instead of sonata hd pro micro usb port, the unit and cable built quality looks better, comes with a side button for pause/next/previous function, green light for pcm and blue light for dsd decoding indication.

May 20, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #2,426 of 6,526
OK, but if Apple doesn't maintain the price to something lower than the already fairly affordable Meizu, or doesn't implement DSD or sth, then of course other dongles will continue to thrive.

I forgot to be more detailed, but I implied all this with the mention of 'Meizu'.
And really, when it comes to Apple all I care about is functionality - if even that's not up to scratch then there's no need to even mention it.
I doubt whether Apple will ever create a dongle like Meizu. Too much effort for them to invest in an accessory that costs less than 10% of Airpods. Primarily they will create stuff which is relevant to their ecosystem and DSD users amount to a very small base as most folks stream music nowadays.

They will retain/create a bare bones model which will simply play audio. Btw, Apple dongle measures very good when compared to many other dongles in the budget category in terms of distortion and clarity. It lacks power but that's understandable as it is not an amp but simply a DAC to replace the earphone jack.

May 20, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #2,427 of 6,526
I doubt whether Apple will ever create a dongle like Meizu. Too much effort for them to invest in an accessory that costs less than 10% of Airpods. Primarily they will create stuff which is relevant to their ecosystem and DSD users amount to a very small base as most folks stream music nowadays.

They will retain/create a bare bones model which will simply play audio. Btw, Apple dongle measures very good when compared to many other dongles in the budget category in terms of distortion and clarity. It lacks power but that's understandable as it is not an amp but simply a DAC to replace the earphone jack.
Indeed. The business model of all the major phone makers now LG has quit the market is to focus on wireless/bluetooth solutions. The dongle market will thrive while a few of us dinosaurs who care about lossless and hi-res will pay for it, but the phone companies are looking elsewhere. Some small evidence for this is that recent Pixel firmware stopped external DACs from working as exclusive devices!

May 20, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #2,428 of 6,526
Indeed. The business model of all the major phone makers now LG has quit the market is to focus on wireless/bluetooth solutions. The dongle market will thrive while a few of us dinosaurs who care about lossless and hi-res will pay for it, but the phone companies are looking elsewhere. Some small evidence for this is that recent Pixel firmware stopped external DACs from working as exclusive devices!
Like it or hate it, but Google is on their way to become Apple 2.0 they're slowly and steadily following them. Hope someone forks AOSP and keeps it free like good old days.

It's high time that Android and iOS duopoly is challenged it's ultimately good for consumers and will keep these two companies in line.

May 20, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #2,429 of 6,526

Thanks, this keeps things in perspective - what you have written is the most likely and compelling outcome.

They'd most likely put hires dacs in airpods and stuff that's expensive, but maybe many years later the dongle might get a redesign, and be repriced of course...nothing beats Meizu but I'm sad that it's gone. The ones on aliexpress are stock from July 2019 etc.

May 22, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,430 of 6,526
Hi everyone,
I was looking for more info on ibasso dc03 and I found this crosstalk chart and it is very different from ibasso dc04 crosstalk chart. What does it mean?

Attachments

• dc03.PNG
    dc03.PNG
    150.7 KB · Views: 0
  • dc04.PNG
    dc04.PNG
    108.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back