USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Sep 16, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #1,516 of 6,504
Seriously, anyone that wants intro to these should get Apple dongle and, if you love it, get some heat shrink tubing to protect the cable. It's very rigid once done.
20200916_135125.jpg
[beginner heat shrink tubing job by me]

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #1,517 of 6,504
Seriously, anyone that wants intro to these should get Apple dongle and, if you love it, get some heat shrink tubing to protect the cable. It's very rigid once done.
20200916_135125.jpg
[beginner heat shrink tubing job by me]
Beautiful work. Initially I had a similar idea with the Meizu pro (I think the cable is too thin), but I gave up because if the dongle is too rigid it can provide a lever effect on the USB c pin when moving the headset cable, and then damage the phone's usb c for a while. But this is just a precaution for me, because I have no money and I need my smart phone to last for many years.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,518 of 6,504
Beautiful work. Initially I had a similar idea with the Meizu pro (I think the cable is too thin), but I gave up because if the dongle is too rigid it can provide a lever effect on the USB c pin when moving the headset cable, and then damage the phone's usb c for a while. But this is just a precaution for me, because I have no money and I need my smart phone to last for many years.
It's an understandable concern. However, I think USB C is far more durable than other type so it should not be an issue for a few years to come. You can use a softer/thinner version of tubing to reduce the rigidity (I think). I bought mine from Amazon just out of curiosity, but if there's a next time that I need to redo this for Apple dongle, I'll choose a thinner one with shrink ratio at least 3:1 or better yet 4:1 (mine is 2:1, it was a pain)

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #1,520 of 6,504
Shanling UA1
* ES9218P DAC chip
* 7-strand 18-core high-purity oxygen-free copper wire
* Small body, large energy, low heat generation
* Almost zero noise floor
* Shanling music APP control support (only Android )
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6952123604
1600308938509.png

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #1,522 of 6,504
Ibasso DC03 is about to be released, it's higher powered version of DC02 with 3.5mm unbalanced, wonder if it can drive high OHMs IEMs, up to 100ohms presumably or even more?

Actually for drivability, the sensitivity values of the IEM matters too, not only the ohms value. So we might need both numbers.

Sep 16, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #1,524 of 6,504
U have a 100 ohm iem? Those are pretty uncommon! Any idea what is the sensitivity value for it? I think some math whizzs here can possibly help calculate for u if this dongle can drive it.

I ever auditioned an ikko OH7 before. It had an impedance of 90 ohms, but sensitivity of 105 dB so i was surprised when my low powered smartphone could drive it.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,525 of 6,504
https://twitter.com/Sales2019tempo1/status/1289096596752412672?s=20

Capture.PNG

For users of the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, they have a firmware update released today.
Only now I found this comment. My Sonata HD Pro was shipped on 24th June and got delivered on 29th July. So it is less likely it have that firmware already installed. Did you flash this firmware? What difference did it make after flashing? At present I don't have my PC near me, most probably I could flash this only after two weeks. ☹️

Though I do have an issue with this DAC that I've to unplug and replug it everytime my music is stopped or played anything outside from the playlist, while using it with my Lenovo ZUK Z2 Plus phone. Also it doesn't work with my OnePlus 7T at present, don't know what's the issue.

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #1,526 of 6,504
Only now I found this comment. My Sonata HD Pro was shipped on 24th June and got delivered on 29th July. So it is less likely it have that firmware already installed. Did you flash this firmware? What difference did it make after flashing? At present I don't have my PC near me, most probably I could flash this only after two weeks. ☹

Though I do have an issue with this DAC that I've to unplug and replug it everytime my music is stopped or played anything outside from the playlist, while using it with my Lenovo ZUK Z2 Plus phone. Also it doesn't work with my OnePlus 7T at present, don't know what's the issue.

What does the latest firmware actually do? I have older firmware on my Sonata HD Pro and works fine?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it lol

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #1,527 of 6,504
Only now I found this comment. My Sonata HD Pro was shipped on 24th June and got delivered on 29th July. So it is less likely it have that firmware already installed. Did you flash this firmware? What difference did it make after flashing? At present I don't have my PC near me, most probably I could flash this only after two weeks. ☹

I think the newer firmware supposedly fixes issues with the Sonata HD Pro not working on some smartphones. Soundwise, I don't think there are any changes from the old firmware.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #1,528 of 6,504
Hello. I had the iBasso DC02 and quite liked the sound of it with my Meze Rai Pentas but I lost it. So I got the Meizu Pro a while back and it's fine. I like the size of it but I feel my Pentas sound a little less bassy and warm than I remember them. I haven't been using my wired IEM's for awhile now since I got the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2's so I don't remember the DC02 that much. Has anyone tried the Dunu DTC 100? It is for sale on their website and uses a Sabre DAC https://www.dunu-topsound.com/product-page/dtc-100-usb-type-c-dac

Or have any other recommendations for a slightly warmer fuller sound?

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #1,529 of 6,504
I see the iBasso dc-03 is coming out. With so little info on the Dunu dongle I think I'll just go with the DC03 when it comes out. One review I read for a dongle that uses the same Sabre chip as the Dunu dongle said it brought out the treble a bit, not interested in that. iBasso here I come now just get released.

Sep 20, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #1,530 of 6,504
I see the iBasso dc-03 is coming out. With so little info on the Dunu dongle I think I'll just go with the DC03 when it comes out. One review I read for a dongle that uses the same Sabre chip as the Dunu dongle said it brought out the treble a bit, not interested in that. iBasso here I come now just get released.
The Sennheiser Momentum is better than your Meze ? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back