USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jul 15, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #1,366 of 6,458
By using UAPP, you allow the phone to bypass android audio limitations, and you can stream Tidal through it. Hardware volume control will also work in UAPP.

Does Poweramp works in bypassing android audio limitations?

Jul 15, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #1,367 of 6,458
I don't use only YouTube. That was just an example. Audio would not play back from any app / the entire phone.

I do not want to spend $20 a month to get lossless streaming with Tidal.

I am happy with Spotify, YouTube Music, and Bandcamp.

The point I was trying to make was about the phone and the DAC, not the apps.
This point I was trying to make is that Android phones often don't want to play well with USB audio devices, and an app like UAPP, Neutron, or Poweramp is the only way to truly control them. I had an issue sort of (but not exactly) like yours with another dongle before I started using UAPP to control them (I was usin
g Deezer), which is why I mentioned it.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,369 of 6,458
This point I was trying to make is that Android phones often don't want to play well with USB audio devices, and an app like UAPP, Neutron, or Poweramp is the only way to truly control them. I had an issue sort of (but not exactly) like yours with another dongle before I started using UAPP to control them (I was usin
g Deezer), which is why I mentioned it.

Thank you for clarifying. I understand your point now.

Are there any third party music apps like these that allow you to stream from, say, Spotify? As far as I can tell, most of these apps are made for playing files on your device (offline), with the exception of UAPP, which only streams from Tidal and Quobuz. I have been using those other apps for years and have tons of playlists that would be painstaking to recreate in another music app. Plus, I listen to a lot of punk, hardcore, and indie, so Bandcamp and user-uploaded content on YouTube are things that I use regularly.

I didn't get an external DAC for bit perfect playback. I got one because my new phone does not have a 3.5 mm jack and I was looking for a bit of an improvement over a bluetooth connection. Also, and this is a big one, the convenience of not having to carry around two devices for bluetooth, but rather just the phone and a dongle (I use this while exercising, for instance, so having just the phone and dongle would be much less cumbersome). Plus I want to be able to use the IEMs that I have now and not buy new ones.

It doesn't have to be bitperfect, just a little better than the setup that I have now.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #1,370 of 6,458
Yes, Poweramp bypasses Android audio and gives full reign to the DAC.

Just got the Ibasso DC01 and we have the same problem:sweat_smile:... it is true that phones are not friendly with dacs. I disabled Direct Volume Control from the Poweramp and it worked but the sound is shallow..

Jul 15, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #1,371 of 6,458
Thank you for clarifying. I understand your point now.

Are there any third party music apps like these that allow you to stream from, say, Spotify? As far as I can tell, most of these apps are made for playing files on your device (offline), with the exception of UAPP, which only streams from Tidal and Quobuz. I have been using those other apps for years and have tons of playlists that would be painstaking to recreate in another music app. Plus, I listen to a lot of punk, hardcore, and indie, so Bandcamp and user-uploaded content on YouTube are things that I use regularly.

I didn't get an external DAC for bit perfect playback. I got one because my new phone does not have a 3.5 mm jack and I was looking for a bit of an improvement over a bluetooth connection. Also, and this is a big one, the convenience of not having to carry around two devices for bluetooth, but rather just the phone and a dongle (I use this while exercising, for instance, so having just the phone and dongle would be much less cumbersome). Plus I want to be able to use the IEMs that I have now and not buy new ones.

It doesn't have to be bitperfect, just a little better than the setup that I have now.
I can empathize with you there, as someone who's active in my local music scene and listens to a lot of stuff that isn't available on streaming services. Sorry if I came off like I was getting down on you for using YouTube. I get it now.
You might have to do some playing around in the developer options for it to work. Also, once I used UAPP, my phone stopped acting up using it with other sources. Might have just been dumb luck there. My only real suggestion is to try some stuff that's counter-intuitive in the developer options. Disable auto USB Audio routing, for instance. Also, maybe try downloading the demo version of UAPP, or a cracked Apk, just to try it out, even if you don't intend on using it. That way, you may be able to tell if it's a problem with the phone's settings/rom (tempotec works in UAPP) or possibly an issue with the device itself (tempotec does not work in UAPP). I hope it works out, as it really is a fantastic little device, usually.

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,372 of 6,458
New kid on the block: YinLvMei (Yin Lu Mei) S3
https://www.linsoul.com/products/yinlvmei-s3?_pos=1&_sid=7ea3ada48&_ss=r
20_fd8862ad-ac19-48db-a1fd-67f656d21b35_1024x1024.jpg

Jul 17, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #1,373 of 6,458
Just got 9038SG3. Man it is so powerful. very resolute and natural.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #1,376 of 6,458
Just pulled the trigger.....
I was actually inquiring before in linsoul about shipping, my last experiences with em haven’t been that good, they sit oN my shipment without having the merchandise and take forever to reply, and as cash goes, I’m a wee broke due to covid19. Will have to hear some reviews b4 saving for it

Jul 19, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #1,377 of 6,458
I'm testing a Sharkoon but it actually sucks... I was searching for a >50 dongle dac but this one it's bad. It's not easy to find few of the ones mentioned in this thread here in italy :frowning2:

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #1,378 of 6,458
I'm testing a Sharkoon but it actually sucks... I was searching for a >50 dongle dac but this one it's bad. It's not easy to find few of the ones mentioned in this thread here in italy :frowning2:

Have you considered the one I got recently? ddHifi TC35B. I got mine on Amazon thru Linsoul's store there.

Perhaps they list it on an EU Amazon site? Or you can possibly order direct from Linsoul.

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #1,379 of 6,458
Have you considered the one I got recently? ddHifi TC35B. I got mine on Amazon thru Linsoul's store there.

Perhaps they list it on an EU Amazon site? Or you can possibly order direct from Linsoul.
Well my curiosity about them started from your review... and when I tried to buy it i couldn't find it on Amazon :frowning2: so I'm testing this one but doesn't sound like a terrific improvement https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0828CRWC7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back