USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 20, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #1,112 of 6,470
I've just received ibasso dc02, and I try to use it on my MacBook with Tidal app. When Tidal app uses it, I can't increase/decrease sound volume via standard volume keys - only using Tidal's internal volume slider. So I need to switch to Tidal app every time I need to modify the volume. Does anybody know any workarounds?

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #1,113 of 6,470
I've just received ibasso dc02, and I try to use it on my MacBook with Tidal app. When Tidal app uses it, I can't increase/decrease sound volume via standard volume keys - only using Tidal's internal volume slider. So I need to switch to Tidal app every time I need to modify the volume. Does anybody know any workarounds?

Check out Sound Control, I use it to manage the volume of my E1DA 9038S in macOS.
You can also try Soundflower which is free, but I believe it has some issues when running on macOS Catalina.

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #1,115 of 6,470

With the Cozoy TAKT C at around USD$150 and the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter at USD$9...

Did anyone here found a DAC/Amp in the USD$150 price range (max.) which performs significantly better than Apple's adapter keeping in mind the convenience not having to use Apple's Lightning to USB Camera Adapter?

Personally, I struggle and the money I've put on various DAC/Amps would have been better invested in other audio gear.

Is there a unicorn hidden somewhere or is the unicorn already in the hands of most iPhone users in the form of Apple's adapter...?

I think it's the latter but...

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,116 of 6,470
With the Cozoy TAKT C at around USD$150 and the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter at USD$9...

Did anyone here found a DAC/Amp in the USD$150 price range (max.) which performs significantly better than Apple's adapter keeping in mind the convenience not having to use Apple's Lightning to USB Camera Adapter?

Personally, I struggle and the money I've put on various DAC/Amps would have been better invested in other audio gear.

Is there a unicorn hidden somewhere or is the unicorn already in the hands of most iPhone users in the form of Apple's adapter...?

My 9038S has a lot more detail/resolution than my Meizu Pro, which, from what I've read, already sounds better than the Apple dongle.

Mar 23, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #1,117 of 6,470
I have used a some type C DACs and reviewed them too. From my side

20$ Best - DD TC35 ( Good - Build quality, price, sound )
Bad - Nothing. Detailed review - Here

30$ Best - ISN Audio Type C DAC (Good - Build quality, sound)
Bad - No mic support, No ASIO driver)
Better than BGCP T01 because ISN Audio's DAC cable is stronger than T01.
Detailed review - Here

40$ Best - Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (Good - Great Sound, power, Price, Build)
BAD- None. Detailed Review - Here

50$ Best- Yet to try Meizu Hi-Fi Pro

70$ Best - Zorloo Ztella
(Good - Price (with discount), sound (Imaging and sound stage), MQA playback)
Better than Atom pro due to Atom pro's poor build quality.
Detailed review - Here

Recently using DD TC35B and Audirect Beam 2.

Really interested in your opinion, I have the sonata, zorloo, beam 2 and meizu pro (and the fender lightning adapter) the meizu is hands down the best, though! Because of my portable source (my iPhone X) it doesn’t get enough power, the beam2 with the latest firmware is the most balanced of the bunch imo, however sonata hd pro could be the very best if the build quality wasn’t so sketchy, mine has the USB port loose since arrival and don’t want to start a discussion on AliExpress, it’s already an stressing enough time with all crap going down the way.

The Zorloo is really really good and it’s iPhone adapter is top notch, the quality of the cable is legit. Sound wise, it is quite ok, but soundstage is way more ample on the rest of the herd. Bass is textured and extended, clarity is ok, the meizu has waaaay better details and clarity, I wish I could jump to another platform but I need the apple ecosystem due to work and the whole idea of getting a usb dac is to not carry more stuff in my pockets

My 9038S has a lot more detail/resolution than my Meizu Pro, which, from what I've read, already sounds better than the Apple dongle.

I ordered mine since January, wish to know if the v3 is coming out anytime soon so I can change my order on linsoul

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #1,118 of 6,470
Really interested in your opinion, I have the sonata, zorloo, beam 2 and meizu pro (and the fender lightning adapter) the meizu is hands down the best, though! Because of my portable source (my iPhone X) it doesn’t get enough power, the beam2 with the latest firmware is the most balanced of the bunch imo, however sonata hd pro could be the very best if the build quality wasn’t so sketchy, mine has the USB port loose since arrival and don’t want to start a discussion on AliExpress, it’s already an stressing enough time with all crap going down the way.

The Zorloo is really really good and it’s iPhone adapter is top notch, the quality of the cable is legit. Sound wise, it is quite ok, but soundstage is way more ample on the rest of the herd. Bass is textured and extended, clarity is ok, the meizu has waaaay better details and clarity, I wish I could jump to another platform but I need the apple ecosystem due to work and the whole idea of getting a usb dac is to not carry more stuff in my pockets

I ordered mine since January, wish to know if the v3 is coming out anytime soon so I can change my order on linsoul
I'm testing a sample unit right now so that Ivan and I can work out all the bugs.
Should be available in 2-3 weeks (don't quote me on that!).

Mar 23, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,120 of 6,470

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/300-dac-for-iphone-or-dap.920700/post-15353646

Mar 23, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,122 of 6,470

Ifi hip dac, i believe. It is the best dac amp in this price.

(Still Need to use adapter though.)

Mar 23, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #1,123 of 6,470
Ifi hip dac, i believe. It is the best dac amp in this price.

(Still Need to use adapter though.)

Argh… I considered it but it's too big for me… I love Burr Brown DACs though… but also the Cirrus S43198… sooo… following @thamasha69 's comment, I just ordered the IKKO Zerda as a nearby stockist had one in stock with the Lightning termination. Oh well, they pretty much have the same colour :p

Thank you very much though !

Mar 23, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,124 of 6,470
Argh… I considered it but it's too big for me… I love Burr Brown DACs though… but also the Cirrus S43198… sooo… following @thamasha69 's comment, I just ordered the IKKO Zerda as a nearby stockist had one in stock with the Lightning termination. Oh well, they pretty much have the same colour :p

It might seem big compared to normal usb c dac but it is only 125g very lightweight. :) maybe next time. enjoy the music.

Mar 23, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #1,125 of 6,470

Awesome! Do post some impressions once you get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back