$300: DAC for iPhone or DAP?
Dec 6, 2019 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

kulte

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I currently use an iPhone 7 with the Apple lightning to 3.5 adapter and Ety ER4P's. I listen to metal, gothic, industrial, and dark ambient, usually FLAC files from Bandcamp or Apple Music.

I like to pack light, using my combo in coffee shops, campsites, travel, etc.. so I'm not wanting a large DAC/DAP. I've been eyeing the Dragonfly Cobalt, Nextdrive Spectra, or something similar. I'd need the lightning to USB adapter, though.

I'd also consider a smaller DAP like an M0, Fiio M6, AP80, or your suggestions.

For $300, what would be a significant and lightweight upgrade to what I have now?

--k

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 30
Hello,

I currently use an iPhone 7 with the Apple lightning to 3.5 adapter and Ety ER4P's. I listen to metal, gothic, industrial, and dark ambient, usually FLAC files from Bandcamp or Apple Music.

I like to pack light, using my combo in coffee shops, campsites, travel, etc.. so I'm not wanting a large DAC/DAP. I've been eyeing the Dragonfly Cobalt, Nextdrive Spectra, or something similar. I'd need the lightning to USB adapter, though.

For $300, what would be a significant and lightweight upgrade to what I have now?

--k

Just for IEM use? I would say consider the Radsone ES100. Being able to skip the wired connection to the phone is a huge improvement in usability IMO.

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 30
Hello,

--k

The dragonfly is ok.. I had both red and cobalt. The red sounded more warm to me. The cobalt was more an in your face sound.. the way I experienced. For travelling these will be a very good option. If you look more like a device.. maybe an Ifi nano black is an option. It has mqa support as well.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 30
Hello,

--k

Maybe something like the Fiio i1 if you're really looking for something super lightweight.

Dec 7, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 30
I used to have the Dragonfly Red and thought it sounded great... But it stopped working after less than a year and a half. Just out of warranty, of course. There are also a lot of people complaining about the Cobalt's build quality and at least one person's completely fell apart. I'm not going to say not to get it, but you should be aware of those problems. (Also, I've not heard the Cobalt, but the impressions I've read are generally the opposite of Meester's, above; the DFR is more aggressive. I might be misremembering, though, so read up.)

I tried the ES100 and thought that the DFR sounded a bit better, though not being connected to my phone was nice. I read that the FiiO BTR5 sounds more analytical than ES100 and the balanced output is not far behind the Q5S, so I'm going to try that next.

You might also check out the E1DA #9038S, which some people are claiming is endgame for only $80. There are a lot of caveats, though, so be sure to read up on it first.

I assume the FiiO Q5S is too big for you? Anyway, it's a bit beyond your budget and that thread is riddled with complaints from iPhone users. You might check out the older Q5, though, which is now within your budget. I think the Q5S's only new features are Bluetooth compatibility that don't apply to Apple users, which makes the Q5 more appealing.

Anyway, just some ideas.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 30
$300: DAC for iPhone or DAP?

It'll be easier to make the choice if you rehash the question:

Ungainly brick with external cable connection or UI without iTunes nor direct access to streaming apps?

I'd just get a Fiio BT amp. More power and lower output impedance than a phone without the problems of using the other options. You can go for the cheap ones but if you really want to provide more power in lieu of the lower sensitivity of the Etymotics, there's the Q5 Pro.

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 30
I've been on this journey of testing/auditioning various options with my iPhone 6S since 2016 (see my profile) and nothing has really fit the bill from a portability standpoint due to requiring the Apple CCK or USB 3 adapter, else it is MFi certified. I recently purchased the Ikko Zerda and am literally testing for the first time right now and thus far it is quite nice especially from a portability standpoint, not requiring the Apple adapter.

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 30
It'll be easier to make the choice if you rehash the question:

Ungainly brick with external cable connection or UI without iTunes nor direct access to streaming apps?

Sadly, you might be right: The choice seems to be either having another thing to carry and without streaming or a tangle of wires to kludge something together.

The ES100 to go wireless was tempting but apparently I wouldn't be able to take advantage of any sort of hi-res over Apple's bluetooth. What I would get out of it is the flexibility to use the ER4Ps wirelessly when I don't care about hi-res, but wired when using FLAC, etc. Otherwise, I am still looking at bolting together solutions...

Dec 9, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 30
You can also go with something like the HiBy R3 which is a small Dap that can also do Airplay from a iPhone so you can stream to it or use as a Dap. AirPlay is lossless as well.

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 30
Sadly, you might be right: The choice seems to be either having another thing to carry and without streaming or a tangle of wires to kludge something together.

The ES100 to go wireless was tempting but apparently I wouldn't be able to take advantage of any sort of hi-res over Apple's bluetooth. What I would get out of it is the flexibility to use the ER4Ps wirelessly when I don't care about hi-res, but wired when using FLAC, etc. Otherwise, I am still looking at bolting together solutions...

Fiio Q5 Pro.

BT on the move where high res isn't going to make much of a difference with all the ambient noise like cars, a train, or jets, plus possibly your attention span on "not get run over/not slam into that guy with his office's coffees."

When you get to a more comfortable seated position (including a plane) then hook it up using a cable and not have BT compression.

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 30
I'm very interested in your experience with the Zerda!

Have used over the years and currently own HifimeDIY 9018, Stoner Acoustics UD125, VE Odyssey, Audio Opus #11, and HifimeDIY S2 9038 and I'm loving the Zerda thus far. All my prior DAC/amps required the Apple USB 3 adapter and even additional power in the case of the UD125 so they weren't ideal from a portability standpoint. My favorite sonically was the Opus 11, very lush and smooth still with great detail. Hifimediy S2 quite close. The Zerda has no harshness in the treble, yet still extends well and has great detail/separation. Rather neutral with a tinge of warmth. It's a nice fatigue free signature and it's so liberating to not have to use the Apple adapter! This is now my go to. If not the Zerda, HifimeDIY sells a $29 micro USB to lightning cable to be used with the S2 and doesn't require the apple adapter, so that is another very good option (the S2 sharing the same DAC as the Dragonfly Cobalt). The S2 has earned a permanent spot in my 2 channel stereo being fed into it's optical input by a Chromecast Audio.

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #14 of 30
You can also go with something like the HiBy R3 which is a small Dap that can also do Airplay from a iPhone so you can stream to it or use as a Dap. AirPlay is lossless as well.

I was thinking about the Hiby R3 also for the OP. The R3 Pro has recently been released I believe and at $200 it looks like a good buy.

For kulte I would also suggest the Chord Mojo. It is arguably a little cumbersome for a portable set up, but it is manageable and the sound is very good.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed he has purchased something.

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 30
+1 on the Mojo. It should offer a step up from the Zerda for critical listening. It might be interesting to see how the optical output of the Zerda into the Mojo compares with direct USB connection (as you would apparently be eliminating the CCK).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back