$300: DAC for iPhone or DAP?
Dec 19, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #16 of 30
For uncritical listening on the go (Podcasts etc. when travelling) I use my iPhone XR with a Dragonfly Black, which requires a CCK. I wish I’d known about the Zerda before I bought it...

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #17 of 30
Was about to open a similar thread when I found this one. I have a similar search going on for a more portable dac for my iPhone. I currently use a Topping NX4 which is too cumbersome when travelling. Have been looking at many options the last days including usb c dongles (the Ztella is getting good reviews), the Fiio BTR5 or Shanling M0. The Zelda looks indeed very portable and no extra cables. I rejected the Cobalt because it looks to me way too expensive for what it delivers. Appreciate any feedback as I don’t want to lose too much of SQ (love the sound of my NX4).

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #18 of 30
As requested by @thamasha69 (and on my site) :

For context, I was looking for a DAC/Amp for my iPhone XR in order to see if there's something better than Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter. I was also curious to see how dongles compare to a TOTL DAP such as A&K's SP1000M.

I will approach this comparison from the following two angles: “money no object” and “best value” with the conclusion taking into account the latter angle. The DAC/Amps compared are the following which all met the single criteria I had, i.e. a direct Lightning termination:

· Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter / USD $9
· Ikko Zerda ITM03 / USD $99
· Cozoy TAKT C102 / USD $155

BEST VALUE

For the price, Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter is unbeatable, period. It's intimate with a dark / warm signature with matching bass, mids, highs and soundstage.

Everything gets better with Ikko's Zerda ITM03 compared to Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter. It preserves its darkish / warmish signature while improving on detail, transparency and soundstage. Even the volume increments/steps are an improvement.

Compared to Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter, Cozoy's TAKT C102 is better yet is no match compared to Ikko's Zerda ITM03. The TAKT C102 is a bit like the Zerda without the soundstage, perhaps a little less dark / warm though not by a significant margin. Its volume increments/steps are also too big.

MONEY NO OBJECT

If money is no object, get a TOTL DAP get the Zerda and invest in the piece of equipment with which you'll instantly hear the biggest difference: headphones or IEMs. There's seriously not much difference in-between mid-range DAPs and something like the Zerda if your headphones or IEMs do not require too much power and have 3.5mm, single-ended, terminations. Yes, a TOTL DAP like A&K's SP1000M is better than anything else I ever tried but is it worth its price in sound? Absolutely not. In this price category, however, money shouldn't be a factor or it'll be the beginning of your financial end — you've been warned.

CONCLUSION

On a tight budget? Stick to Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter for USD $9. If you have a little to spend, get Ikko's Zerda ITM03 for USD $99.

With that said, if you already have quality music files and/or access to a quality streaming service, again, invest in the piece of equipment with which you'll instantly hear the biggest difference: headphones or IEMs.

Ikko Zerda ITM03
5/5

Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter
4/5

Cozoy TAKT C102
3/5​

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #21 of 30
Hello,

I currently use an iPhone 7 with the Apple lightning to 3.5 adapter and Ety ER4P's. I listen to metal, gothic, industrial, and dark ambient, usually FLAC files from Bandcamp or Apple Music.

I like to pack light, using my combo in coffee shops, campsites, travel, etc.. so I'm not wanting a large DAC/DAP. I've been eyeing the Dragonfly Cobalt, Nextdrive Spectra, or something similar. I'd need the lightning to USB adapter, though.

I'd also consider a smaller DAP like an M0, Fiio M6, AP80, or your suggestions.

For $300, what would be a significant and lightweight upgrade to what I have now?

--k

I'm sporting an iPhone 8 and I've loved pairing it with the FiiO BTR5 for ~$150. You don't get to reap the full benefits of the BTR5 because the iPhone only utilizes AAC and SBC bluetooth codecs (which aren't as good aptXhd or LDAC), but it's still a great choice. I did end up going the DAP route though for a number of reasons; expandable storage, better DAC and more power, don't have to mess with bluetooth. I full sent it to the Fiio M11 pro (I figure I'm only going to buy a DAP once, right?), but the Fiio M11 is just about the same thing for $400. Those are both a little out of your price range though. I've heard great things about the M6, but you don't get a balanced output (at least I don't think you do). I would honestly direct you to the FiiO M9 - you don't have the Google Play store, but you do have white-listed streaming apps (Tidal, Spotify, etc. basically all of them but Google and Apple Music) and you get that balanced port. Check it out!

Apr 13, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #22 of 30
I prefer a decent DAP. Mostly because listening to music doesn't drain your phone battery. Also, it's just simpler than messing with the peripherals you'll need to make a phone sound stellar, which are at a minimum a USB DAC and an OTG cable.

As for budget buying, I'm all about it. And to that end I almost never buy the latest & greatest. Instead I look for the stuff everyone was raving about a few years ago. The difference in SQ between great gear from 3 years ago and now is imperceptible to my ears. As such, last year I got a new old stock FiiO X5 2nd Gen for $200 and it sounds fantastic with everything but my hardest to drive cans. I couldn't be happier, and couldn't care less about not having a touchscreen or all the latest features. I know, you need streaming ability, so obviously the X5ii wouldn't work for you. But there are plenty of new old stock X5 3rd gen units available, just as one thing to look for. Older iBasso models would be really great too.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #23 of 30
I prefer a decent DAP. Mostly because listening to music doesn't drain your phone battery. Also, it's just simpler than messing with the peripherals you'll need to make a phone sound stellar, which are at a minimum a USB DAC and an OTG cable.

As for budget buying, I'm all about it. And to that end I almost never buy the latest & greatest. Instead I look for the stuff everyone was raving about a few years ago. The difference in SQ between great gear from 3 years ago and now is imperceptible to my ears. As such, last year I got a new old stock FiiO X5 2nd Gen for $200 and it sounds fantastic with everything but my hardest to drive cans. I couldn't be happier, and couldn't care less about not having a touchscreen or all the latest features. I know, you need streaming ability, so obviously the X5ii wouldn't work for you. But there after plenty of new old stock X5 3rd gen units available, just as one thing to look for. Older iBasso models would be really great too.

Good luck.

That's a great point.
I'm not big on trying to keep up to date with the latest and greatest either. When I jump, I'll get what's good for that time (hence me buying the FiiO M11 pro) but I'm not going to play the constant upgrade game. I figure, I can spend a little now - get some tech that's only a couple hundred dollars but a few years old. Use it for a couple more years before something in it like a battery or computer chip gives out and chalk it up to a loss. Orrrrr I can spend a little bit more now but potentially use that tech for the next five to six years. In the grand scheme of things, you probably end up spending the same amount of money over a 5 to 10 year period. It really just depends on whether or not you have the budget right now or not. If you need your fix now, but only have $200 then hunt for that used item that's a couple years old. But, if you're in no rush and want something more expensive, then go ahead and save - just plan on holding onto that thing for a while.

I also don't know what the standard life of is for most DAPs. I assume they aren't like Apple products where they're rendered obsolete in three years.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #24 of 30
I think DAPS are over rated when it comes to mid tier IEMS, I would just use the phone and buy the best possible IEMs you can afford.

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #26 of 30
Hello,

I currently use an iPhone 7 with the Apple lightning to 3.5 adapter and Ety ER4P's. I listen to metal, gothic, industrial, and dark ambient, usually FLAC files from Bandcamp or Apple Music.

I like to pack light, using my combo in coffee shops, campsites, travel, etc.. so I'm not wanting a large DAC/DAP. I've been eyeing the Dragonfly Cobalt, Nextdrive Spectra, or something similar. I'd need the lightning to USB adapter, though.

For $300, what would be a significant and lightweight upgrade to what I have now?

--k
Ikko Zerda what I use. Have Fiio M15, Dragonfly Cobalt but Zerda is super tiny and light with great sound and dynamic for IEMs
E4CE8926-67BC-4FD2-86D3-4BB17CEB88B2.jpeg

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #27 of 30
Hello,

--k
Trash can the Apple & get yourself an LG"G8x" or "V50"..Absolute audiophile sound into IEM's,cans or via LDAC BT5.0...

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #28 of 30
I was thinking about the Hiby R3 also for the OP. The R3 Pro has recently been released I believe and at $200 it looks like a good buy.

For kulte I would also suggest the Chord Mojo. It is arguably a little cumbersome for a portable set up, but it is manageable and the sound is very good.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed he has purchased something.

Good suggestions!
I use the R3 (non-Pro) stacked with the Mojo.
R3 also works as a BT DAC for a phone, or as a source for BT headphones, or you can control it via App from the iPhone
SQ of the non-Pro is ok, Pro should be good, stacked with Mojo it's great.

When I have to go small the Tempotec Sonata Pro works well, is cheap ($50) and comes with both Lightning and USB-C cables for iPhone and Android.
SQ comparable to the R3 (non Pro) IMO, but I didn't do critical comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back