USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 24, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #976 of 6,485
Either you really lucky or or uapp already is set for upscales. Mine is just terrible.

Have you already tried the different optimization options?
Like playing around with buffer size and those different usb optimization modes?

Those modes and settings are I guess included because there were often issues in the past, also with other devices, that could be fixed with those settings.

Maybe there is also a chance that the way the usb works on each phone has an impact on this cutout phenomenon, so you other settings might work?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #977 of 6,485
Everyone assumes the S8 and the Sonata Pro are the same thing. Yet, I haven't seen a single objective comparison using measurements, nor have I seen a subjective SQ comparison, nor a teardown showing identical PCBs. That being the case and keeping in mind that Hidizs isn't very reliable with delivering on their official specs (Sonata II) I would not spend any money on it.
Looking at pure specs - they share the same chip. The rest is how it's implemented id details.
I must admit , you planted a seed of doubt in my mind :) with your post... I was nearly shure i want Sonata HD PRO... but ...I'm still looking for best amp/dac for me.

Jan 24, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #978 of 6,485
Looking at pure specs - they share the same chip. The rest is how it's implemented id details.
I must admit , you planted a seed of doubt in my mind :) with your post... I was nearly shure i want Sonata HD PRO... but ...I'm still looking for best amp/dac for me.
Actually, an internet friend of mine compared his Sonata Pro to the Meizu Pro and found the Meizu Pro to be a lot better while I easily prefer the S8 to the Meizu Pro. This is suuper subjective but it might be a sign that the two are not in fact identical.

Jan 24, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #979 of 6,485
Have you already tried the different optimization options?
Like playing around with buffer size and those different usb optimization modes?

Those modes and settings are I guess included because there were often issues in the past, also with other devices, that could be fixed with those settings.

Maybe there is also a chance that the way the usb works on each phone has an impact on this cutout phenomenon, so you other settings might work?

I'm talking to a brick wall, yes I tried, but the problem is also there playing flac with the Meizu plugged in to the pc, or plugged into the fiio m5 or plugged into the v1.

It doesn't Mather at all as soon as you send 16 bit 44.1 khz to the non pro Meizu dac it starts stuttering.

Uapp can upsample to 16 bit 48khz this is the only thing that removes the stuttering while playing flac on the meizu non pro.

Jan 24, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #980 of 6,485
I'm talking to a brick wall, yes I tried, but the problem is also there playing flac with the Meizu plugged in to the pc, or plugged into the fiio m5 or plugged into the v1.

It doesn't Mather at all as soon as you send 16 bit 44.1 khz to the non pro Meizu dac it starts stuttering.

Uapp can upsample to 16 bit 48khz this is the only thing that removes the stuttering while playing flac on the meizu non pro.
Same for me. I've also spoken to one of the devs and they said that fixing this bug is out of their control and that it'll most likely stay broken.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #981 of 6,485
It's not only the smartphone. It's the same problem with Tempotec V1/V1-A, Fiio M5... It's the hardware issue of Meizu.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #982 of 6,485
Jan 25, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #983 of 6,485
Spec wise seems not good.

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #984 of 6,485
which ones? (idk much without reference)

Max sampling rate: stereo 96kHz/192kHz/384kHz @ 16/24/32Bit(needs device support)

Playing

SNR: 100dB

THD+N: -84dB

FR: 20k -0.06dBr/80k -3dB

Crosstalk: -80dB

Recording

DNR: 94dB

THD+N: -84dB

FR: 0.014dBr @ 100Hz/1.4dBr @ 20Hz

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #985 of 6,485
Could anybody suggest me a decent 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable that does support mic?
On Amazon i’ve found trs to trs cables, 4-poles / trrs to trrs cables, splitters, trrs to trs with embedded crappy mic... even 5-poles (trRrs?) to 5-poles cables!!!!

I still can’ t find a damn 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, let alone one made with good materials that has a good reputation here on head-fi.
I already searched the website, but i can only find reviews of IEM cables.

Any suggestion?

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #986 of 6,485
Actually, an internet friend of mine compared his Sonata Pro to the Meizu Pro and found the Meizu Pro to be a lot better while I easily prefer the S8 to the Meizu Pro. This is suuper subjective but it might be a sign that the two are not in fact identical.
Well that's very interesting
Those two REALLY share the same parts
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hone-adapter-review.10823/page-11#post-313202
Look at this post. There are Hidizs and Sonata side by side

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #987 of 6,485
Well that's very interesting
Those two REALLY share the same parts
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hone-adapter-review.10823/page-11#post-313202
Look at this post. There are Hidizs and Sonata side by side
Very interesting. Going back to my personal impressions, my EJ07 sounded thinner with the Sonata HD Pro. Being that it's a fairly mid-centric IEM, this change was noticeable and hence turned me off immediately. Perhaps I did not give it a fair shake, as I only gave it about 15 minutes before I gave my preference to the meizu, which keeps weight in the mids (but sounds thin in the bass). The Sonata for me had a nice sound stage and decent bass & treble extension. EJ07 simply did not pair well with it. I'll see about pairing some other IEMs I have around.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #988 of 6,485
Jan 25, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #990 of 6,485
I saw it already. I guess I really did waste $30 by going with the S8. ^^
I'll give the Meizu another try tomorrow to see if I can notice the S8's V-shaped FR and to once again make sure that I prefer the S8.

I don't know if you own any IEMs with noticeable mid weight. If you do, try them with the S8 and see if it thins out. I went through that thread and I saw someone linked my review, then some guy trashed me for saying it sounds V shaped. I probably used the wrong words to describe the sound (the dac isn't tuned the same way a transducer is), but a dac absolutely has a sound sig that can't be measured with instruments, you need to listen for it. Tonality, timbre, Soundstage are all qualities you can't measure objectively, yet make a huge difference in the enjoyment of the overall sound. I love the science and objectivity of sound, but people that try to pretend that there is no subjectivity involved really frustrate me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back