USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 24, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #4,726 of 6,526
No portable amp/dac dongle is going to get the best out of a HD650 believe me.

Likewise, no desktop AMP/DAC will get anything out of the HD650 (or any other headphone for that matter) when out and about :D

Every situation needs a different tool. Thank God, there is no shortage of those, both for indoor and outdoor use :)

Apr 24, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #4,727 of 6,526
What's the best option for an iphone? Is every dongle (even the weak ones) limited by the Iphone because it doesn't deliver enough power?
I have an iPhone and have used plenty of dongles with it. Compared to my desktop I feel the iPhone actually sounds better - I had the same impression with my previous laptop too. It was only really after playing around with dongles that I realized. I think there must be some other factors to do with noise in USB signal or jitter perhaps, so in my experience it’s not just about power from the phone vs computer influencing sound quality.

On the one hand I don’t have an Android phone to compare with, but there’s plenty of options around that play well with the iPhone, including some with higher voltage like A&K HC2 or that have a good amount of current like Questyle M15. My current favorites are HC2&3, M15 and Chronos, but there’s plenty of others I haven’t even heard.

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #4,728 of 6,526
Hello,

thank you. do you think these dongles make a much better sound with planar iems than the apple dongle? i think yes. i tried the apple dongle and it was a bit bright and peaky. the chronos sounds interesting but it is a bit expensive, weak and unbalanced. do you know the 9038? do you think the chronos could be an interesting alternative for an iphone?

Apr 24, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #4,729 of 6,526
Hello,

thank you. do you think these dongles make a much better sound with planar iems than the apple dongle? i think yes. i tried the apple dongle and it was a bit bright and peaky. the chronos sounds interesting but it is a bit expensive, weak and unbalanced. do you know the 9038? do you think the chronos could be an interesting alternative for an iphone?

It depends on the planar IEM. Some planar IEMs are relatively easy to drive, whereas some like the low sensitivity P1 need something akin to a desktop amp rather than a run-of-the-mill dongle.

Which model of planar IEM are you looking at, and do you have the specs (sensitivity, impedance values)?

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #4,732 of 6,526
Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #4,733 of 6,526
Im thinking of getting Ibasso DC04 Pro but same time I want get Filo KA5? they are abt the same right? I tried both I like them but i wanna know the flaws between them
I haven't seen comparative reviews, but this Andy guy ( ) rates it on par with a couple of 200+ dollar models
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 02-31-13 Best Class D Amp! Aiyima A07 Pro vs Fosi Audio BT20A Pro.png

I would like to see some more comparisons though by People like Gizaudio (wo rates the KA5 very high but not in the league Andy does) and the Honest Audiophile.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #4,734 of 6,526
Apple making the switch to USB-C is about to make the dongle chain a thing of the past. Can't wait to try my 9038 with an iPhone 15.

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #4,735 of 6,526
Apple Iphones are a very bad source. It would be the Timeless AE.

The Timeless AE has specs of:
Sensitivity : 104dB/1kHz.
Impedance : 14.8Ω

I would say this IEM is relatively easy to drive. Though it might scale better with amplification.

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #4,739 of 6,526
Do you know if there is any dual DAC 4.4mm dongle with detachable cable smaller and lighter than ddHifi TC44C ?

29076699.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back