USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 8, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #4,651 of 6,526
I got myself a ddHifi TC44A, i'm quite happy with this purchase :)
It's a neat tiny device, it drives my IE800s pretty well, clarity is very good.

20230408-105721.jpg

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #4,652 of 6,526
I got the iBasso DC04Pro, so I'll offer a few comments and comparisons (TempoTec E44, Tanchjim Space) after a couple days of listening.

First, I got it from Amazon and I received it in two days as usual, so you can experience relatively instant gratification, as opposed to the multi-week uncertain journey you might expect if ordered direct from China. It came with a USB-C to Lightning cable, which was a nice surprise. Now I have to figure out how to get my wife to let me use her iPhone! :ksc75smile:

I listen to Qobuz hi-res files through USB Audio Player Pro with the bit-perfect output. So for me, on-the-fly use of the iBasso UAC app isn't going to happen much. But fortunately, the DC04Pro remembers the settings you chose, so you can pick your settings and use them later with the bit-perfect output. I couldn't convince myself that I was hearing a difference between the digital filter and NOS settings (It shouldn't matter so much with hi-res files, right?). The other settings like gain, eco, and "turbo" certainly make a differenced, but when would I want to toggle them to the lower settings? Still, they might have utility for someone.

As for the listening experience, it sounds great. Comparing the three I mentioned, the Space has a bit more high-frequency energy and it has slightly better resolution. The DC04Pro has a bit warmer presentation. I think it's a touch less resolving but the sound is still very clear and the trade-off in the richness of a violin tone, for example, is appreciated. The E44 sounds very clear but less so than the Space, and the tone quality is slightly grainier/more unrefined than the others. The differences between them are quite small imo, but for me, Space=DC04Pro>E44. I can see how one might prefer the DC04Pro over the Space, but I haven't developed a preference between them yet.

Apr 9, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #4,653 of 6,526
My Space matched with the Dusk IMO is an excellent pairing, not only in resolution but also aesthetics with the matte metal and acrylic.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #4,654 of 6,526
My Space marched with the Dusk IMO is an excellent pairing, not only in resolution but also aesthetics with the matte metal and acrylic.
It's missing a Hi-Res sticker, though! :wink:

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #4,655 of 6,526
I got the iBasso DC04Pro, so I'll offer a few comments....

Can you comment on power efficiency of the iBasso DC04 Pro ?

Apparently, it is a power hungry beast, particularly when listened through balanced output.

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #4,656 of 6,526
Can you comment on power efficiency of the iBasso DC04 Pro ?

Apparently, it is a power hungry beast, particularly when listened through balanced output.
I don't have a way of testing that. But the UAC app does have an Eco mode and they claim improved power efficiency.
https://ibasso.com/product/dc04pro/

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #4,657 of 6,526
You could charge your phone to 100%, connect the dongle, play music for 2 or more hours (the longer the better) and check how much of the battery power has been consumed (in %).

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #4,658 of 6,526
I got the iBasso DC04Pro, so I'll offer a few comments and comparisons (TempoTec E44, Tanchjim Space) after a couple days of listening.

First, I got it from Amazon and I received it in two days as usual, so you can experience relatively instant gratification, as opposed to the multi-week uncertain journey you might expect if ordered direct from China. It came with a USB-C to Lightning cable, which was a nice surprise. Now I have to figure out how to get my wife to let me use her iPhone! :ksc75smile:

I listen to Qobuz hi-res files through USB Audio Player Pro with the bit-perfect output. So for me, on-the-fly use of the iBasso UAC app isn't going to happen much. But fortunately, the DC04Pro remembers the settings you chose, so you can pick your settings and use them later with the bit-perfect output. I couldn't convince myself that I was hearing a difference between the digital filter and NOS settings (It shouldn't matter so much with hi-res files, right?). The other settings like gain, eco, and "turbo" certainly make a differenced, but when would I want to toggle them to the lower settings? Still, they might have utility for someone.

As for the listening experience, it sounds great. Comparing the three I mentioned, the Space has a bit more high-frequency energy and it has slightly better resolution. The DC04Pro has a bit warmer presentation. I think it's a touch less resolving but the sound is still very clear and the trade-off in the richness of a violin tone, for example, is appreciated. The E44 sounds very clear but less so than the Space, and the tone quality is slightly grainier/more unrefined than the others. The differences between them are quite small imo, but for me, Space=DC04Pro>E44. I can see how one might prefer the DC04Pro over the Space, but I haven't developed a preference between them yet.
OK, I have to say it's Space>DC04Pro. The advantage in resolution cannot be denied. For me, that's the sine qua non of hi-fi audio, and the Space excels at it while still sounding pure and beautiful. I'm glad to have both, but if I were trying to make a buying decision, that's the advice that would be best for me. Maybe for someone else, too.

Looking forward to reading the impressions of others now.

Edit (5/18/23): I now prefer the DC04Pro. I didn't want to post again since the world doesn't need updates on my latest preferences, but if you are reading this after the initial post, I don't want to mislead anyone. Both are great. The DC04Pro sounds better with more music for me because the overall tonal profile is more balanced: fuller mids, less intense highs. But the resolution is still excellent. The Space is better for hearing the layering in a thickly orchestrated recording, or catching minute details. The DC04Pro is better for smoothing rough edges and letting tonal beauty dominate, while still being very clear and resolving.

Ediit (5/20/23): I keep going back and forth depending on the music. Glad to have both!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #4,659 of 6,526
OK, I have to say it's Space>DC04Pro. The advantage in resolution cannot be denied. For me, that's the sine qua non of hi-fi audio, and the Space excels at it while still sounding pure and beautiful. I'm glad to have both, but if I were trying to make a buying decision, that's the advice that would be best for me. Maybe for someone else, too.

Looking forward to reading the impressions of others now.
Do you know the output impedance of the Space ?

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #4,660 of 6,526
Do you know the output impedance of the Space ?
No, I don't. Its specs are published. I have no additional specs. All I can offer are sound impressions.

Apr 11, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #4,663 of 6,526
1. How many volume steps does the Space have? I know that DC04Pro/DC03Pro have 100, which can easily be seen in the app, but for Space it is not clear.

2. How is your Space's build quality? I have seen a few users complain about loose USB/Audio sockets, rattling buttons & other components
I don't know, but DC04Pro has 100 and the Space seems similar.

Build quality is great. No issues so far. I like that it's small and light while feeling sturdy.

Apr 11, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #4,664 of 6,526
How can you switch between low and high gain on Space ?
You switch modes by holding down the volume keys simultaneously.

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #4,665 of 6,526
1. How many volume steps does the Space have? I know that DC04Pro/DC03Pro have 100, which can easily be seen in the app, but for Space it is not clear.
I counted 61 steps.

steps.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back