USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 24, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #4,607 of 6,485
I'm referring to the ones you compared it to😁
I guess that you are talking about the Truthear SHIO.
If yes, then the performance is similar to lower specked DAPs like the Shanling M0 Pro or the Hidizs AP80 PRO-X.
Mid range DAPs with extra amplification op-amps, like the Shanling M3 Ultra or the iBasso DX170 sound a little better, more effortless and dynamic.

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #4,608 of 6,485
Mar 25, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #4,609 of 6,485
I wish the DC03 Pro had those firmware options. The 100 volume steps on the DC03 Pro are just tooooooo much for me. 30 would be great, maybe 50 if you like listening to music at night.
If you use it without allowing permission to the UAC then you have less steps for volume adjustment but you can't configure the rest of the menu...

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #4,610 of 6,485
I wish the DC03 Pro had those firmware options. The 100 volume steps on the DC03 Pro are just tooooooo much for me. 30 would be great, maybe 50 if you like listening to music at night.
iBasso could possibly add this via updating the app to have option for different steps for volume. Just need to send feedback to them.

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #4,611 of 6,485
If you use it without allowing permission to the UAC then you have less steps for volume adjustment but you can't configure the rest of the menu...

iBasso could possibly add this via updating the app to have option for different steps for volume. Just need to send feedback to them.
Needs to be done through a firmware because….

I use my DACs on iPhone and Windows Laptop XD. So, no UAC app for me.

I've sent feedback to them about it but, they always respond generic answers. It would need to be feedback from several people, maybe for them to listen to us.

Mar 26, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #4,612 of 6,485
This weekend we take a detailed look at the new FiiO KA5 DAC/AMP. we're giving it our Recommended Buy Award, now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/fiio-ka5-review/

chrome_2023-03-26_09-50-13.png

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #4,613 of 6,485
Mar 27, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #4,614 of 6,485
I am really sorry, but I personally ...

Today's review on Headfonia is all about the brand new iBasso DC04PRO DAC/AMP. The DC04PRO dongle features the good old CS43131 from Cirrus-Logic, and it's our newest Recommended Buy Award winner. An article by @nanotechnos

Find out how the new iBasso DC04PRO sounds and performs, now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/ibasso-dc04pro-review/
... find the quality of this headfonia.com review quite disappointing:

• A lot of copy and paste from the DC03 Pro review, especially in the part regarding the sound performance, with several sentences where you even forgot to replace „DC03 Pro” with „DC04 Pro”.

• A lot of reciting/echoing of iBasso's marketing especially regarding the specs, without putting in context, without explaining, without questioning.

• Several inaccuracies (e.g.: „software seems available for Windows”), wrong statements (e.g.: „it draws less power than before”), misleading statements (e.g.: pros-cons-list implying volume control is for android-users only), omitted details (e.g.: mentioned power saving mode, but without the fact that it disables the RT6863 amps) and missing information (e.g.: whether or not the lightning-cable is included).

This weekend we take a detailed look at the new FiiO KA5 DAC/AMP. we're giving it our Recommended Buy Award, now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/fiio-ka5-review/
... and the quality of this headfonia.com review really disappointing:

• Not. A. Single. Word. About the supposedly outstanding feature in this price class (changing settings and filters via local OS, independent from the host device and without the need of an app)?

• You even state „I’d have been really curious to try the other gain mode, but as for now, the app seems to be available on Android devices solely.” And you additionally repeat this in the pros-cons-list with „Many software options [but] for android users only”.

What? Did you even use the FiiO KA5 yourself? Or is this so-called review all made up? All settings are supposed to be changeable directly on the device, without any app. And you are omitting/ignoring this the whole review all along?

Additionally:

• Why do you even state that there is no app for iOS, when FiiO, as well as a simple google search, both say that the FiiO Control app is also available for iOS?

• Why do you state that CS43198 in KA5 is higher end than CS43131 in KA3 [edit: KA2], when in reality they are basically the same, except with integrated amp (CS43131) or without (CS43198).

• Why do you quote the output power as stated by FiiO, without mentioning that those values are measured at totally impractical THD+N<1%.

• Why do you not question FiiO's claim to achieve 768 kHz sampling rate, when the official datasheet of CS43198 states that CS43198 is only capable of 384 kHz? Did you test/verify this yourself? And if it really works, how is it achieved? By simply downsampling?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #4,615 of 6,485
I am really sorry, but I personally ...

... find the quality of this headfonia.com review quite disappointing:

• A lot of copy and paste from the DC03 Pro review, especially in the part regarding the sound performance, with several sentences where you even forgot to replace „DC03 Pro” with „DC04 Pro”.

• A lot of reciting/echoing of iBasso's marketing especially regarding the specs, without putting in context, without explaining, without questioning.

• Several inaccuracies (e.g.: „software seems available for Windows”), wrong statements (e.g.: „it draws less power than before”), misleading statements (e.g.: pros-cons-list implying volume control is for android-users only), omitted details (e.g.: mentioned power saving mode, but without the fact that it disables the RT6863 amps) and missing information (e.g.: whether or not the lightning-cable is included).

... and the quality of this headfonia.com review really disappointing:

• Not. A. Single. Word. About the supposedly outstanding feature in this price class (changing settings and filters via local OS, independent from the host device and without the need of an app)?

• You even state „I’d have been really curious to try the other gain mode, but as for now, the app seems to be available on Android devices solely.” And you additionally repeat this in the pros-cons-list with „Many software options [but] for android users only”.

What? Did you even use the FiiO KA5 yourself? Or is this so-called review all made up? All settings are supposed to be changeable directly on the device, without any app. And you are omitting/ignoring this the whole review all along?

Additionally:

• Why do you even state that there is no app for iOS, when FiiO, as well as a simple google search, both say that the FiiO Control app is also available for iOS?

• Why do you state that CS43198 in KA5 is higher end than CS43131 in KA3, when in reality they are basically the same, except with integrated amp (CS43131) or without (CS43198).

• Why do you quote the output power as stated by FiiO, without mentioning that those values are measured at totally impractical THD+N<1%.

• Why do you not question FiiO's claim to achieve 768 kHz sampling rate, when the official datasheet of CS43198 states that CS43198 is only capable of 384 kHz? Did you test/verify this yourself? And if it really works, how is it achieved? By simply downsampling?
Great analysis!
I just learned to ignore most of reviews as paid-in-kind advertisements.

Mar 28, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #4,617 of 6,485
Mar 30, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #4,618 of 6,485
Got my Ibasso dc04pro, coming from a shanling m2x stacked on top of my topping g5 I gotta say iam very impressed.
I love an app for tuning , love the NOS filter (sounds a little more analog) and love the form factor (with volume buttons)
What I don't like is how android works with usb nowadays, but with uapp and bitperfect it sounds good.

To be honest it's more musical than the "open sounding" but bright sounding topping. I only have warm sounding headphones, so the topping matches great plus it has moutains of power, but it loses in musicality!

If i had to choose today it would be hard one, for real clean "hifi" sound I would say topping g5, but for enjoying my music the clear winner is the Ibasso! And for that price I would say it's a steal!

I have tested it with my hifiman r9, Fiio fh15, final e5000 (even the finals works great, the finals needs alot of power but still sound very nice over balanced. I choosed a different filter tho)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back