USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 22, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #4,396 of 6,443
Please help me, I'm so confused. I am looking for a way to add a portable USB-C DAC to my basic setup.

Source:
Google Pixel 4 (android OS)
Tidal Hifi (not MQA)
IEMs (currently FLC 8s but new IEMs on the horizon)

Desire:
Inexpensive DAC with 3.5mm and 4.4mm

I thought I had found exactly what I was looking for with the ibasso DC06 except I have become so confused with the volume control issue. Am I understanding correctly that I need to use their UAC app to control the volume? Will this interfere with Tidal's control of the USB-C port? Can I not use my phone's volume buttons to change volume?

I really dislike the idea of needing to open an app to control the volume and am hoping for someone to clarify the UAC app combination with Tidal and if this can cause the same issue I've read from people using the UAPP and tidal.

Is this why the DC03 Pro features hardware buttons for volume control? Would I be better off foregoing the 4.4mm of the DC06 in favor of the buttons of the DC03 Pro for my setup?

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #4,397 of 6,443
Well, dont know if it's been discussed or not. But the ifi go link it's quite something. Bass is EXQUISITE (and its a ess chip, which impresses me even more) soundstage it's amazing, and the holographic feeling hits it out of the park. For the price I'm blown away. I can easily use this as my daily driver. It has a hint of analogue sound that hits the cda m1 out of its throne, I'm utterly impressed

Jan 22, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #4,398 of 6,443
Well, dont know if it's been discussed or not. But the ifi go link it's quite something. Bass is EXQUISITE (and its a ess chip, which impresses me even more) soundstage it's amazing, and the holographic feeling hits it out of the park. For the price I'm blown away. I can easily use this as my daily driver. It has a hint of analogue sound that hits the cda m1 out of its throne, I'm utterly impressed
And its just the entry level dongle. I am attempted by GO bar but its price competes against Cayin (which I think is the organic #1).

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #4,400 of 6,443
Has anyone compared the Ibasso DC03 Pro to the ifi Go Link? They’re in the same price range with similar features, but different DAC chips. I just picked up the DC03 and it sounds very good, but I am still curious about the ifi.
If you're using it with your phone as the source, can you see my post above regarding volume? Do you need to use the UAC app from iBasso? How is the noise floor? Do the volume buttons on the unit actually control the DAC or the phone's volume settings.

Lastly, if you use it with your phone on cellular data (not wifi, not airplane mode) for streaming audio, is there any RF/EM interference/noise?

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #4,401 of 6,443
If you're using it with your phone as the source, can you see my post above regarding volume? Do you need to use the UAC app from iBasso? How is the noise floor? Do the volume buttons on the unit actually control the DAC or the phone's volume settings.

Lastly, if you use it with your phone on cellular data (not wifi, not airplane mode) for streaming audio, is there any RF/EM interference/noise?
No need to use the UAC on the iPhone because there is no UAC available to use, according to another post here it defaults to high gain, turbo mode, filter1 when connected to a device without UAC installed. Trying with my 7Hz Timeless, noise floor is below the audible threshold and the volume buttons control the DAC itself, not the system volume. Also the DC03 Pro remembers the volume level you set when you last used it.

I will check for interference when on cellular soon.

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #4,402 of 6,443
No need to use the UAC on the iPhone because there is no UAC available to use, according to another post here it defaults to high gain, turbo mode, filter1 when connected to a device without UAC installed. Trying with my 7Hz Timeless, noise floor is below the audible threshold and the volume buttons control the DAC itself, not the system volume. Also the DC03 Pro remembers the volume level you set when you last used it.

I will check for interference when on cellular soon.
Excellent. I really hate the idea of having to use an app (I'm on android) to control the volume (which the DC06 seems to suggest).

Out of curiosity, then, what volume config do you have to use for this? Max the system volume then adjust with the DAC volume?

Thanks so much for the response! Very curious to know about the cellular interference as that unknown is literally all that's stopping me from buying it at this point.

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #4,403 of 6,443
Excellent. I really hate the idea of having to use an app (I'm on android) to control the volume (which the DC06 seems to suggest).

Out of curiosity, then, what volume config do you have to use for this? Max the system volume then adjust with the DAC volume?

Thanks so much for the response! Very curious to know about the cellular interference as that unknown is literally all that's stopping me from buying it at this point.
I don’t know about Android, haven’t used one in many years. On iPhone, when I plug in the DC03 Pro, my system volume automatically goes to max and then is disabled (I can’t manually adjust it using the hardware buttons or in the UI), and all the volume adjustments have to be done via the volume buttons on the dongle.

Regarding interference, I’ve got mine plugged into my phone, Wi-Fi off, streaming hi-res files remotely and surfing the internet, no interference whatsoever. The few reviews I could find online also mentioned no audible interference. I’d say you’re safe to buy one.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #4,404 of 6,443

I didn't notice any cellular interference.

You can control the volume with or without the aid of UAC.
If you don't have UAC application installed or if you have it and don't grand permission then the DC03 Pro will use the default android volume control which doesn't allow too much steps of fire adjustment.

If you have the UAC installed and grand permission then it bypasses the android system and allows for 100 steps of fine adjustment.

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #4,405 of 6,443
Further thoughts on the Ibasso DC03 Pro:

Man, this thing is tiny. Granted, my point of comparison is the Cayin RU6 which was much bulkier. Also the DC03 Pro barely gets warm even after hours of continuous playback. Whatever they’re doing to maximize power efficiency is working extremely well. This feels just slightly larger than the inline mic size dongles.

The overriding quality of the sound on this is clean. This might sound different with the different digital filters, but with filter1 in high gain, the music comes through crisply and clearly, with fast transients and a silent blackground. There’s some bite and sizzle here—rock guitars have a satisfying tone with a bit of an edge, cymbals sound like real metal being struck—but it’s not from a tipped up treble.

The real kicker is that this is $70. Seems like the top tier for this segment is currently $150-$400, and most of the well regarded dongles in the space fall into that price category. The Ibasso has features on par with higher end dongles (removable USB-C, independent volume, physical volume buttons), with high end sound for $70. Bravo!

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #4,406 of 6,443
I didn't notice any cellular interference.

You can control the volume with or without the aid of UAC.
If you don't have UAC application installed or if you have it and don't grand permission then the DC03 Pro will use the default android volume control which doesn't allow too much steps of fire adjustment.

If you have the UAC installed and grand permission then it bypasses the android system and allows for 100 steps of fine adjustment.
Perfect, thank you so much! I ordered one last night straight from ibasso's website.

My curiosity was about how UAC works with other apps (Tidal) that also want permission for full control of the USB c port. It is important for tidal to have it so it can transmit bit perfect. So if I install UAC for volume control, will I be able to control 100 steps while using tidal or will it be blocked from doing so? One of the other things that the DC06 mentions is that using the UAC app lowers the noise floor (somehow?). Is this the case with the DC03 pro as well? If not, I'm not going to bother installing it. Seems like more trouble than it's worth, personally.

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #4,407 of 6,443
Perfect, thank you so much! I ordered one last night straight from ibasso's website.

My curiosity was about how UAC works with other apps (Tidal) that also want permission for full control of the USB c port. It is important for tidal to have it so it can transmit bit perfect. So if I install UAC for volume control, will I be able to control 100 steps while using tidal or will it be blocked from doing so? One of the other things that the DC06 mentions is that using the UAC app lowers the noise floor (somehow?). Is this the case with the DC03 pro as well? If not, I'm not going to bother installing it. Seems like more trouble than it's worth, personally.
When you plug the DC03 Pro the UAC will automatically open and ask for permission that you have to grand.
Then you open the Tidal and grand permission again.
Ready to steam.
The DC03 Pro doesn't support MQA.

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #4,410 of 6,443
Oh yes, on more thing I forgot about the DC03 Pro: It sounds just as good out of a phone as it does out of a laptop. The Cayin RU6 sounded noticeably better from a laptop or desktop than it did from a phone.
Maybe because it is quite sensitive to cellular interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back