USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 5, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #4,366 of 6,452
So… 2 related questions since i think (hope) we all use our usb c dongles on our phones

1) has anyone tried usb c 2.0 OTG and usb c 3.1 (or 3.2 if you got a Sony Xperia 1 mkIV) and see if there’s a difference in power supply/ audio quality?
2) whats your mobile setup and how you like it battery wise?

I’m using a oneplus 9 pro, tbh the whole reason i changed to android (at the beginning) was cause of getting a proper audiophile app, better battery life, stop buying lightning to usb c cables and being able to use my Flac files on my phone, before using the OP9P i had a Samsung a72, battery life in the OP9P was very bad at the beginning, but with software updates, it turned for the better, though i THINK there was a change in the power delivery and the quality of the sound from one phone to the other, though i think the Samsung was louder… never a/b em.

Anyways the thing here is to compare battery life with some dongles

For example, i just got the Cayin ru6 and it goes faster than many, i mean it was expectable. I’m getting around 20% battery drain in 1 hour or so.
Anyways… don’t know if theres a way we can compare this and have some recs for phones for this. Just a thought

Jan 5, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #4,367 of 6,452
I'm using iBasso DC03Pro with iphone 13 mini and I love it, everything works perfectly. Beside, it's definitely not a power hungry dac at all. My test shows that it only draws 10% of battery after 1 hour (Apple Music with maximum sound quality). My DC03Pro settings is Medium Gain and Turbo Mode.

IMG_0015.jpg
Thank you very much!
What headphone you are using?

I want to use DC03 with Etymotic ER2SE, I see you have ER2SE. Please can you do a test with low gain & normal mode: I want to know which volume level is listenable from 100 steps with that settings and some words about sound (ER2ES + DC03Pro)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #4,368 of 6,452
So I have only one question before buying DC03Pro:sweat_smile:

TANCHJIM Space mentions output power 1Vrms (Unbal, low gain), but don't mention how to change gain. Is it via software or buttons combination and do it remember gain setting after disconnecting to from phone?

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #4,369 of 6,452
I'm using iBasso DC03Pro with iphone 13 mini and I love it, everything works perfectly. Beside, it's definitely not a power hungry dac at all. My test shows that it only draws 10% of battery after 1 hour (Apple Music with maximum sound quality). My DC03Pro settings is Medium Gain and Turbo Mode.

IMG_0015.jpg
According to iBasso, those are not your settings of the DC03PRO when connected to the iPhone. But I would need to test it in different android phones to verify myself, which I don’t have.

This is the info iBasso shared via email:

When you are using the DC03Pro with your iPhone or on the device without the UAC, the default setting is high gain, Turbo mode, filter1.

You can't set the DC03Pro on an Android device, and use it on your iPhone. The settings can't be saved in the DC03Pro. But those settings can be saved on the UAC APP.

Which is a shame, because there’s no way to change settings or filter when you use the DC03Pro on a laptop or an iPhone.

Jan 5, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #4,370 of 6,452
Very sad :weary:, Jay Ros thank you one more time.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #4,372 of 6,452
If Jay's confirmation is true, then I don't have anyway to test since I don't have any android phone :frowning2:. Ibasso needs to release new firmware to make the settings kept inside the DC03PRO
Yes,
New firmware will not solve it, I think it is a hardware problem (It must have some flash memory), it can not be solved by a soft

Jan 6, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #4,373 of 6,452
If Jay's confirmation is true, then I don't have anyway to test since I don't have any android phone :frowning2:. Ibasso needs to release new firmware to make the settings kept inside the DC03PRO

Yes,
New firmware will not solve it, I think it is a hardware problem (It must have some flash memory), it can not be solved by a soft
The good thing is that it sound good on the iPhone with the default settings.

But yes, it’s really sad I didn’t know this info before buying. I have a very old FiiO BTR3 and you can setup that DAC on any phone and use those settings on any other device, so I assume this was going to be the same.

What we could do is pressure brands into releasing full functional apps on iOS.

A lot of developer shield themselves under the excuse that iOS is very restricted and blah blah and that’s why they can’t develop an app for iOS.

Then Qudelix released the most complete app for their DAC on iOS and proved that brands are just lazy.

Jan 7, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #4,375 of 6,452
So… 2 related questions since i think (hope) we all use our usb c dongles on our phones

1) has anyone tried usb c 2.0 OTG and usb c 3.1 (or 3.2 if you got a Sony Xperia 1 mkIV) and see if there’s a difference in power supply/ audio quality?
2) whats your mobile setup and how you like it battery wise?

I’m using a oneplus 9 pro, tbh the whole reason i changed to android (at the beginning) was cause of getting a proper audiophile app, better battery life, stop buying lightning to usb c cables and being able to use my Flac files on my phone, before using the OP9P i had a Samsung a72, battery life in the OP9P was very bad at the beginning, but with software updates, it turned for the better, though i THINK there was a change in the power delivery and the quality of the sound from one phone to the other, though i think the Samsung was louder… never a/b em.

Anyways the thing here is to compare battery life with some dongles

For example, i just got the Cayin ru6 and it goes faster than many, i mean it was expectable. I’m getting around 20% battery drain in 1 hour or so.
Anyways… don’t know if theres a way we can compare this and have some recs for phones for this. Just a thought

I'd just get a cheap USB Multimeter off of eBay, aliexpress, ... (+ a couple USB adapters as needed) and check the average current drain, power consumption, whatever ...

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...4.m570.l1313&_nkw=usb+multimeter&_sacat=58300

Jan 10, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #4,377 of 6,452
Guys has any one try TANCHJIM Space with iPhone?

Jan 10, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #4,378 of 6,452
Tanchjim Space is currently unobtanium: sellers don't have it in stock for some weeks now... I am still waiting for mine.

Edit: finally shipped.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #4,379 of 6,452
Hey guys,

What's the best of these devices available nowadays to drive Sennheiser HD650? The most I'm willing to pay is E1DA-ish price (150 max). If a Tempotec Sonata Pro will do it, great!

I appreciate any input! :)

Jan 14, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #4,380 of 6,452
Hello, actually I am looking for a good dongle and I have some questions:

- Would you choose a dongle with mqa for tidal or is this not very Important?

- Is it better to change the volume Control with the Smartphone or with the Dongle? Maybe with the dongle because it is analogue? So Hardware Buttons are Good to have?

- are integrated batteries better oder worse? You don’t need the power of the Smartphone but you have to Look for Full batteries in the Dongle and it is a wear Part.

I only use the Single Ended Output and I can’t decide between ibasso dc03 / dc06 , shanling ua3 and fiio q3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back