Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Aug 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,937 of 1,958

Quote:
That doesn't sound really encouraging.
I'm still wondering if the spdif output of my alc892 onboard chip is really bitperfect using wasapi.

Bitperfect output isn't a function of the card, it's a function of the music player.  The card will simply output whatever the music player sends it.  I'm not a Windows guy, but a lot of them seem to like Foobar for bit perfect output.

The point of the card is to have reduced jitter.  The M2Tech is also able to drive very long cables, which is why they put the gain in.  It works great up to 96K, and I'm running an 18' cable.  The problem is 192 for my devices.  It could also be my card, but as I have no 192 source I don't lose sleep over it.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #1,939 of 1,958

Quote:
192 is complete overkill anyways. There is no one on the earth that can reliably blind A/B an exact audio file 192 vs 96

Golly, nothing like a giant sweeping generalization to finish the day....

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #1,940 of 1,958
Hi,

I get this error when I try to use WASAPI: Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported buffer size (0x88890016)

Here is some info:

-foobar 1.1.8
-just downloaded WASAPI
-brand new computer, Pentium 3 ghz, 4 gigs ram, windows 7 64bit home premium edition.
-I get the error in all modes: 16, 24 and 32 bit in foobar preferences/output
-in foobar's preferences/output I selected WASAPI-hiface option
-I tried setting the buffer to the max with no change
-I disabled all unnecessary sounds in Windows
-I installed the m2Tech drivers for Windows7- 64 bit.
-it works in DS mode...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sep 22, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #1,941 of 1,958

Quote:
Hi,

I get this error when I try to use WASAPI: Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported buffer size (0x88890016)

Here is some info:

-foobar 1.1.8
-just downloaded WASAPI
-brand new computer, Pentium 3 ghz, 4 gigs ram, windows 7 64bit home premium edition.
-I get the error in all modes: 16, 24 and 32 bit in foobar preferences/output
-in foobar's preferences/output I selected WASAPI-hiface option
-I tried setting the buffer to the max with no change
-I disabled all unnecessary sounds in Windows
-I installed the m2Tech drivers for Windows7- 64 bit.
-it works in DS mode...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Go into preference then Output. Look for the buffer sliding thingy. That buffer number cannot exceed 1000

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #1,942 of 1,958

Quote:
Go into preference then Output. Look for the buffer sliding thingy. That buffer number cannot exceed 1000

THANK YOU !! THANK YOU!!  I was going nuts!

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #1,943 of 1,958
Golly, nothing like a giant sweeping generalization to finish the day....

He's right though when he says no one has managed to identify the difference in DBT. If you like sweeping generalizations though, here's another for you: 192k is inferior quality to 96k!

G

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,944 of 1,958
Technically I agree with you, and lot's of quantifiable tests and data verify that so as a generalization at least there's a real basis for the statement.  I can generalize and say "atoms are all very small" and that'd stand up to scrutiny, too.
beerchug.gif

All my gear is optimized around 88.2 or 96K.  

I don't rule out that 192 won't get better, but right now the technology isn't there to make it linear and accurate, and I'm not aware of any 192 ADC or DAC that is more linear and lower noise than a 96K, though there may well be...  

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #1,945 of 1,958
I have been using the USB hiface for about a 2/3 weeks now, got a Belkin F5U237QEA Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-port Hub to power it as using the computer (USB) or switched mode based power was a no-no for me regardless of the internal regulators etc, my assumption/reasoning is if the hiface is expecting the PSU to be potentially noisy/varying and the actual PSU is then less noisy (I hope) and likely more stable, then the PSU quality to the to the hiface internals should now be very clean and even more stable.The Belkin hub came with an unregulated 6v/4A linear PSU which should be a good thing and I will keep my fingers crossed that the Belkin hub does a good job of regulating and filtering the 5v supply. I also for good measure bought a  Belkin Premium Series USB 2.0 to 5-Pin Mini-B Cable 1.8M  >>>(link for illustration purposes only) as they are gold plated, have screened conductors and are seemingly very well made, the mini-B end fits the hub more securely than the supplied cable and can be had for about £3.50...why not?.

I stick to x2 upsampling (which in practice means 88.2/96khz as seen by the Hiface/DAC I think) use 24 bit mode as it apparently stops you losing resolution when you "turn down" the volume and I always stick to kernal streaming mode, 2 reasons...1, It was the original operating mode for the hiface and I guess the most developed of the drivers and 2, the wasapi mode sometimes gives some buffer messages that I do not ever get in kernal mode. I set my other USB sound card as the default sound card as that it connected to my A/V setup via toslink, the hiface usually is just used by Foobar and is connected to the DAC/hifi/..no need to change or swap soundcards for general browsing and all other windows mixer applications, you can even have both sounds at the same time. My understanding is that the hiface "clocks out" the data to the DAC from the p.c so I use about 200ms of buffer..I suppose if you are multi tasking your own p.c you might want to use a little more buffer to ensure you don't get dropouts while the p.c is otherwise engaged.

On sound quality..just brillant in all departments even on less than perfect mp3's...not as nice as analogue but the sound has great seperation, a more organized and 3D sound stage and the quality of the bass is like no CD or digital player i've ever heard, smooth, not the usual digital "hammering bass" but more subtle, extended and textured too ..might be because of the precision clocks etc coupled with the fact that the sound/digits are no longer meandering through the various windows sound mixers. Looks like I finally can accept digital as good and possibly excellent sounding..maybe I should have had my previous CD players clocked. Made me hear things I never heard before and made me listen to tracks I previously may not have listened to. Be in no doubt the Hi-Face is worth every single penny if you have a DAC and a p.c...it sure ain't hype.

Oct 22, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #1,946 of 1,958

Quote:
On sound quality..just brillant in all departments even on less than perfect mp3's...not as nice as analogue but the sound has great seperation, a more organized and 3D sound stage and the quality of the bass is like no CD or digital player i've ever heard, smooth, not the usual digital "hammering bass" but more subtle, extended and textured too ..might be because of the precision clocks etc coupled with the fact that the sound/digits are no longer meandering through the various windows sound mixers. Looks like I finally can accept digital as good and possibly excellent sounding..maybe I should have had my previous CD players clocked. Made me hear things I never heard before and made me listen to tracks I previously may not have listened to.

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #1,947 of 1,958
Hi,

I have a Hiface here with AMD 760G chipset board, running on Windows 7 Prof. SP1 64 bit. 

Unfortunally I have the same problem as many others had when connecting
the Hiface to the USB port. The Audioplayer (jriver, foobar) freezes, audio controll freezes, etc.

I read some posts about this common problem but could not find a solution yet.

Is there any fix available for this problem? 

Thanks and regards
Loo

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #1,948 of 1,958
I wonder if you more tech-savvy people could clarify something for me.

I recently got a Steam Link which works fine except no audio when streaming to my TV.
The hookup is: ethernet cable from mb to 4G router -> ethernet to Link -> HDMI to TV.

There is sound when not streaming, that is, the HDMI audio connection works between the Link & TV.

The question is if it's even possible for Steam to capture audio & send it to the Link using HiFace as the only playback device?
(Win 10 Pro 64-bit)

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #1,949 of 1,958
I'd say the playback device on the server should have not impact on the Link sound output, but you can try enabling the onboard audio in W10 (and maybe remove HiFace) and see if it changes? Troubleshooting step 1.

Also, check if the sound output of the Link/Game is in PCM stereo, PCM signal has the widest support in televisions. Maybe it just gets a surround signal it doesn't understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back