Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Apr 7, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #1,921 of 1,958

Quote:
I was checking out the Tweak Geek web site yesterday and they are recommending the Harrison Attenuators for RCA HiFaces.  Is there any downside to using an audio attenuator on a coax cable?

"Attenuators - The hiFace is known to have a pretty high output, too high for some DACS. We have had great success using signal attenuators to get the output to a lower level, and the end result is a smoother sound.
  1. RCA Attenuators - for RCA hiFaces, the Harrison Labs 12 dB RCA line level attenuators are highly recommended."

http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/Portable_Computer_Audio/product/HiFace/M2Tech_HiFace.htm

This does not look like the right way to attenuate the signal.  Unless this is a 75 ohm stepdown transformer, it could REALLY mess up the signal, especially at higher bit rates. I couldn't find a spec on the device, but from what I could tell, it appears to be meant as a gain adjustment between preamp and amp, or source and preamp.  As such, it's probably a high impedance resistive device, and will not work reliably in a 75ohm setup.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 11, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #1,922 of 1,958
Question for the group. I've got a BNC Hiface. When using it during normal playback, every 15-20 seconds I get a small click that is a fraction of a second. It's quite irritating, and makes this pretty unusable. Any ideas on how to address this?

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #1,923 of 1,958
Question for the group. I've got a BNC Hiface. When using it during normal playback, every 15-20 seconds I get a small click that is a fraction of a second. It's quite irritating, and makes this pretty unusable. Any ideas on how to address this?

Try their tech support, Marco is quite responsive.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #1,924 of 1,958
Thanks for the suggestion. I did figure it out though. It was an issue with my reference 1! If I had more than one source connected, the hiface got completely erradic! So as long as it's the only thing connected, so hiccups at all. 
Quote:
Quote:

Try their tech support, Marco is quite responsive.

May 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #1,925 of 1,958
Bonjour,

Marco Manunta from M2tech has sent me the following answer by email on April 30th:

"I'm afraid hiFace cannot be used with Linux as we didn't develope the driver, nor we have plans to do that so far."

So we won't be able to use the hiFace with Linux after all. To bad for the millions of Linux users out there.

Regards.

Alain-Olivier

May 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #1,926 of 1,958
I am new to this forum, I joined as I saw this huge thread on the hiface. Basically since I switched from my old mac mini to the new mac mini (the hdmi one) I have problems when watching movies through VLC as I only get stereo output and there seems to be no way to select anything else. The sound does go through the hiface to the receiver but only as stereo. It used to work fine with my previous mac mini but cant figure out the difference...

I have it configure in audio midi setup and when i right click on it to select "configure speakers" it only offers stereo setup. Do other people have the same, is it normal ? Is there something else to do to be able to pass DTS and such... ?

Thanks for your help !

May 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #1,927 of 1,958

Quote:
I am new to this forum, I joined as I saw this huge thread on the hiface. Basically since I switched from my old mac mini to the new mac mini (the hdmi one) I have problems when watching movies through VLC as I only get stereo output and there seems to be no way to select anything else. The sound does go through the hiface to the receiver but only as stereo. It used to work fine with my previous mac mini but cant figure out the difference...

I have it configure in audio midi setup and when i right click on it to select "configure speakers" it only offers stereo setup. Do other people have the same, is it normal ? Is there something else to do to be able to pass DTS and such... ?

Thanks for your help !

I use HDMI out of my new mini for home theatre, so I have a different configuration and don't have this problem.  I would suggest your first thing is to verify you have the most recent driver.

May 29, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #1,929 of 1,958
DIYER MOD From Taiwan (courtry on the Earth)

1.MOD Frist Time (Not Good = Fail)
hiface_01.jpg
hiface_02.jpg
hiface_03.jpg
hiface_04.jpg
hiface_05.jpg
hiface_06.jpg
hiface_07.jpg
hiface_08.jpg
hiface_09.jpg
hiface_10.jpg
hiface_11.jpg
hiface_12.jpg
hiface_13.jpg
hiface_14.jpg
hiface_15.jpg
hiface_16.jpg
hiface_17.jpg
hiface_18.jpg
hiface_19.jpg
hiface_20.jpg
hiface_21.jpg
hiface_22.jpg
hiface_23.jpg

2.MOD Second Time (So Good = Sucess)
hiface_24.jpg
hiface_25.jpg
hiface_26.jpg
hiface_27.jpg
hiface_28.jpg
hiface_29.jpg
hiface_30.jpg
hiface_31.jpg
hiface_32.jpg
hiface_33.jpg
hiface_34.jpg
hiface_35.jpg
hiface_36.jpg
hiface_37.jpg
hiface_38.jpg
hiface_39.jpg
hiface_40.jpg
hiface_41.jpg
hiface_42.jpg
hiface_43.jpg
hiface_44.jpg
hiface_45.jpg
hiface_46.jpg
hiface_47.jpg
hiface_48.jpg

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #1,932 of 1,958
Cracks and pops are not jitter, that's data loss.  It could be multiple possibilities, one is that the high output voltage of the HiFace is overloading your input, another is a driver issue with the HiFace.  Contact M2Tech support and get the latest driver, the driver that was on the website (when I last checked) was not current (why?  who knows.).

It would make debugging easier if you had a second DAC to try.  If not pops, then the problem is the HiFace output voltage.  They can be modified to be S/PDIF voltage spec (they made the voltage much higher than spec to support long cable runs like my 18 footer).  

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #1,935 of 1,958
I have had trouble at 192K on my Burson and my iBasso D12.  I haven't found a good RCA 75ohm 6db attenuator to see if dropping the voltage helps but that is the next step.  I think it was a bad design idea to set the voltage so high, most good cables won't have a huge drop over moderate runs.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back