Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Nov 17, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #211 of 1,958
I am currently using a Hagermann HAGUSB USB to SPDIF converter as found here with my laptop running windows 7 64bit, and was wondering if anyone has used both? I am strongly tempted to order this with BNC connections and try it anyway!

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #212 of 1,958
Hi all, 1st time poster here but long time reader
smile.gif

Got word form Marco that Hiface units shipment is scheduled for Saturday.
I ordered mine long time agoooooo (october 19) so I don't know delivery time for people who've just ordered.

I'm currently using a musiland 02 us as usb/spdif converter, I'm really pleased with it (got a musiland 01 usd tho, the 02 us sounds definitively better).

I'll let you know when I'll receive the hiface which unit I prefer in my rig.

And FIY, Marco told me he's planning on releasing a "wasapi-like" driver anytime soon.

C'ya.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #214 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Portnoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello! I have Musiland USD01, and i love it.

However, will i be happy with hiface? (more than with musiland?)

The Dac will be AudioGD dac19MK3.

Thanks from Brazil!

Fernando.

*sorry the bad english.

Hi, I have the audio-gd dac-19mk3 too and I prefer the Hiface over the musiland.
By the way, you can read my review here where I compare the 2 units.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #215 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I have the audio-gd dac-19mk3 too and I prefer the Hiface over the musiland.
By the way, you can read my review here where I compare the 2 units.

Thank you!

Fernando.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #216 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by totozero53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got word form Marco that Hiface units shipment is scheduled for Saturday.
I ordered mine long time agoooooo (october 19) so I don't know delivery time for people who've just ordered.
I

I ordered a Hiface 10 days ago too. I had been reasonably happy using my 0404 usb until it fell on the floor and broke. I am hoping to hear an improvement when the Hiface arrives. For now, my rig is silent
frown.gif

I hope mine is included in the current shipment

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #218 of 1,958
I know there was some pictures of HiFace innards online at some Italian forum but is there any way to get them here? I couldn't download them because it required registration.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #220 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by glt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are here: M2TECH Hiface USB->SPDIF 24/192Khz asynch - diyAudio

As I said in my previous post, you can't open them without registering to the forum. I have no intentions to do that so if someone could kindly post the pictures here.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #221 of 1,958
Dec 2, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #223 of 1,958
Quote:

Originally Posted by glt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you were referring to some italian forum... Anyways, I hope it is not against any kind of forum rules...

That was my mistake. I remembered the forum wrong.

Thanks for the pics.

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #224 of 1,958
It looks like from the pictures that the hiface is using two different clocks for 44.1 and 48 multiples. It is amazing how much is stacked in such a small enclosure.

Anybody knows if m2tech is planning to release new products ? I think that a product based on the hiface technology which uses an outboard enclosure and a separate power supply could be interesting ... Just a thought
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #225 of 1,958
Yesterday I quickly switched back to my ESI Juli@ which is connected to DAC19Mk3 with Blue Jeans optical cable. HiFace is connected to coaxial input with Belden digital cable. I only did a very short listening this time so don't take anything I say too seriously. These are initial impressions. Before testing I thought that there wouldn't be any differences or at least I couldn't hear them... I was wrong. Even with a very short comparison, the difference was quite easy to hear actually.

HiFace has clearly blacker background with less "stuff" going on over the sound. Everything was more clear and instruments were easier to separate. More air between the notes. What stroke me most was the difference in dynamics. I tested with few tracks including deep bass notes and there was huge difference. It sounded like Juli@ would lack the deepest bass completely compared to HiFace. I remember that Bel Canto USBLink had also very clear sound but the problem was that the upper register was harsh, digital sounding. With HiFace this problem is gone. Upper register is pleasure to listen to.

If I would have to describe the sound difference with picture, this would be quite a good one:

Leslie760MIG-L1.jpg

Please don't care what this picture means/measures originally but try to image these two lines as HiFace's and Juli@'s sound. Upper one is HiFace and lower one is Juli@. This picture shows well how HiFace is able to do quicker turns and it's reaction times are much faster when Juli@ takes it easier and is slower in it's reactions and movements. If this picture would be perfect, the upper lines peaks would also be on higher and lower level than the peaks of the lower line.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry if this picture confused someone. IMO it's good to picture the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back