Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Sep 24, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #1,726 of 1,958

Quote:
So, are the Mac OS X drivers good? Anyone have any issue with them?

With the modded hiface, I get kernel panics on starting up the device.  To prevent a kernel panic, I log out, turn on the unit and then log back in.  Once things are running, I haven't had an issue.  I understand that this problem doesn't exist with the unmodded HiFace.

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #1,727 of 1,958
no real issues under OSX, the clicking problem is long solved and I have not experienced panics for months now. Excellent for music, though it did have a 600ms delay that made it unusable for movies (haven't tried since... probably still exists)

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #1,728 of 1,958

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I mean best audible sound reproduction that my DAC is capable of once jitter is reduced to a level where further reduction leads to minimal if any audible improvement.  It's not well established just how much jitter has to be present for us to detect it or any further reduction in it.

I tried the 15db attenuator with my Modded HiFace and still hear no appreciable difference in sound.  No change in volume either.  It continues to sound great, as does my optical output through my UltraDesktop Amp's DAC stage.

I've always thought my system sounded fabulous as it stood.  I got the modded HiFace out of the genuine curiosity that things could actually sound even better.  Not to mention the sheer fun of trying it.  Well, I've tried all sorts of things and end up with pretty much the same sound from optical as with the HiFace.

I'm thinking that this here HiFace will work a treat for those with a normally jitter heavy source and who do not use an upsampling DAC that already effectively reduces jitter.

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #1,729 of 1,958

Quote:

I tried the 15db attenuator with my Modded HiFace and still hear no appreciable difference in sound.  No change in volume either.  It continues to sound great, as does my optical output through my UltraDesktop Amp's DAC stage.

I've always thought my system sounded fabulous as it stood.  I got the modded HiFace out of the genuine curiosity that things could actually sound even better.  Not to mention the sheer fun of trying it.  Well, I've tried all sorts of things and end up with pretty much the same sound from optical as with the HiFace.

I'm thinking that this here HiFace will work a treat for those with a normally jitter heavy source and who do not use an upsampling DAC that already effectively reduces jitter.

You didn't notice any effect from the modded HiFace itself, so it's not hard to believe that you can't hear any improvement from attenuators either. It may be your system or the fact that you use equalizers (which mask subtle effects IME...I used EQ's for years). I don't mean anything negative by my comment; just pointing out some things I feel are relevant.

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #1,730 of 1,958

Quote:
You didn't notice any effect from the modded HiFace itself, so it's not hard to believe that you can't hear any improvement from attenuators either. It may be your system or the fact that you use equalizers (which mask subtle effects IME...I used EQ's for years). I don't mean anything negative by my comment; just pointing out some things I feel are relevant.

I'm not using any EQ'ing at the moment so.....

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #1,731 of 1,958

Quote:

Quote:
I'm not using any EQ'ing at the moment so.....

The interesting thing is that Shahrose hears improvement while you don't.

You both have highly resolving gear, so equipment aside,  the main difference seems to be that Shahrose has 2 large clocks in his modification and you don't....  

Occam's Razor.

USG

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #1,732 of 1,958
Hey E.

I'll be testing out the attenuators this weekend (I got them thanks to the very generous and helpful Bubu1 on Head-Fi). I'll post my impressions here.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #1,734 of 1,958

Quote:
Hey E.

I'll be testing out the attenuators this weekend (I got them thanks to the very generous and helpful Bubu1 on Head-Fi). I'll post my impressions here.

Glad to see that you got them.  Hope they work out for you!  
popcorn.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #1,735 of 1,958

Quote:

aimlink,
Thanks for posting your impressions.  While your impressions are different than mine, I'm glad to hear that you gave them a try. Keep enjoying the music!!!
beerchug.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #1,736 of 1,958

Quote:
Listen carefully and try to listen blindly.  There's much expectation surrounding those attenuators.

E

Definitely. I'm not expecting anything. For all I know, it could make my system sound worse. I hope that's not the case, but even if it is, it's not a big deal since the funds invested were small.

Quote:

Glad to see that you got them.  Hope they work out for you!  
popcorn.gif

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #1,737 of 1,958

Quote:
The interesting thing is that Shahrose hears improvement while you don't.

You both have highly resolving gear, so equipment aside,  the main difference seems to be that Shahrose has 2 large clocks in his modification and you don't....  

Occam's Razor.

USG

I didn't know that I had small clocks in mine.  What makes you think that?

Sep 28, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #1,739 of 1,958

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

crack it open or we kill the bunny.

Should I really get involved in mine are small while they should be big wild goose chase?

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #1,740 of 1,958

Quote:
I didn't know that I had small clocks in mine.  What makes you think that?

Oops, I thought you had looked.......

Quote:
crack it open or we kill the bunny.

Ditto.

Quote:
Should I really get involved in mine are small while they should be big wild goose chase?

Well, you have had problems hearing any differences from the beginning, while Shahrose did not.  You both have the same modification unit.   You both have similar DACs and very good equipment so the reason why you don't hear any differences, and Shahrose does, might very well be the clock issue.....   which might not turn out to be a wild goose chase after all.  

There is no question that my large clocked replacementFace sounded better than my small clocked originalFace and Shamu reported a similar thing when he compared the two of them...  There is also the fact that Regal replaced his small clock mod with a large clock mod, at his own expense, because Marco wouldn't exchange it for him.

On the other side of the coin, xdanny couldn't hear any differences between his small clock and a borrowed large clock version through his speaker rig....  but I'm wondering  if he opened the borrowed unit to see what was in it?   (many apologies if pics of the internals of the borrowed unit were already posted, and even more if it was not xdanny who did the large clock-small clock  comparison)

So bottom line:  open it up, inquiring minds need to know.......
beyersmile.png

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back