Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Sep 16, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #1,696 of 1,958

Quote:

It's troubling that the stock HiFace seems to do better with my NOS Constantine and Stello (with upsampling off) than it does with the North Star which was specifically purchased for the usb needy, secondary, laptop rig.

Now that I've covered all the things you don't agree with, :)  what's your take on the small clock - large clock issue.  Do you think the small clock is sonically inferior to the large clock or do you think, as some have said, that there is no sonic difference between the two?

USG

First keep this in mind,  for the average DAC under a few grand in price it is much easier to implement NOS properly,  that is one of the reasons NOS became popular.

As far as the clock issue,  see the clock thread for my take on it.  I will never buy another Hiface product until Mr. Marco is "redeployed" some where else.

Rankin's claim would be 8 bits shifted where 1 bit is 6dB,  so that would be a 48 dB difference!  Obviously the hiface volume difference some of you are hearing isn't the difference between load headphones and a jet taking off (48 dB),  so yes his claim is a bit off from the science of digital audio,  I'm sure he would clear up his statement to be exactly as I said,  some DAC's don't handle the padding correctly.

As far a the treble tilt,  I just don't hear it at all.  And the fact that my DTS decoding receiver decodes a DTS encoded signal from the Hiface proves that it is a physical impossibility,  I'm sorry but I will never by into that one.  I have seen DAC's handle volume poorly usually as I said in getting the format correct from the reciever chip,  so I believe you on that but you are blaming the wrong device.

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #1,697 of 1,958
I agree, in digital the maximum level is 0dBFS that is the maximum value of a sample, 65k at 16bit and 16M at 24bit, the number of bits defines the dynamic range which is 96dB and 144dB (the 0 sample is -96dBFS  and -144dBFS accordingly). 0dBFS should produce the same analog maximum level so this "hiFace is 3dB louder because it's 24bit not 16" doesn't make any sense to me.

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #1,701 of 1,958

Quote:
I agree, in digital the maximum level is 0dBFS that is the maximum value of a sample, 65k at 16bit and 16M at 24bit, the number of bits defines the dynamic range which is 96dB and 144dB (the 0 sample is -96dBFS  and -144dBFS accordingly). 0dBFS should produce the same analog maximum level so this "hiFace is 3dB louder because it's 24bit not 16" doesn't make any sense to me.

I PM'd Gordon Rankin about this.  I'm curious to see what he says.

USSG

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #1,702 of 1,958
This is Gordon Rankin's reply: 

Eric,

In the future, just send me an email. 16 bit data is shifted 8 bits to make 24 bit data and that's the reason.

Thanks
Gordon

My expertise on why the HiFace plays louder ends with asking the question.

I would like to believe that Gordon Rankin knows what he's talking about when he says, "that;s  the reason" the HiFace plays louder.

In any event, make of this what you will, because the reason why the HiFace plays louder was never the issue.

USG

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #1,703 of 1,958
Did you guys managed to order an attenuator from minicircuits for a decent shipping price?
They replied me that shipping with EMS for $29 instead of their ridiculous $92 with UPS is possible but since then no reply.

Attenuators price is very decent but shipping price is stupid...

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #1,704 of 1,958
Yup, they charged me $9 for shipping, UPS ground. But I'm in FL, USA.

Quote:
Did you guys managed to order an attenuator from minicircuits for a decent shipping price?
They replied me that shipping with EMS for $29 instead of their ridiculous $92 with UPS is possible but since then no reply.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,705 of 1,958

Quote:

Pacha, which one do you want to get? I might have a couple of extra ones, I bought 2 10db and 2 6db.  I think I will keep a 10 and a 6.  PM me if interested...

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #1,707 of 1,958

Quote:
This is Gordon Rankin's reply: 

Eric,

In the future, just send me an email. 16 bit data is shifted 8 bits to make 24 bit data and that's the reason.

Thanks
Gordon

My expertise on why the HiFace plays louder ends with asking the question.
I would like to believe that Gordon Rankin knows what he's talking about when he says, "that;s  the reason" the HiFace plays louder.
In any event, make of this what you will, because the reason why the HiFace plays louder was never the issue.

USG

He may mean that if a DAC expects 24bit data, the 16bit sample gets padded with 0s at the bottom so the original maximum value becomes maximum-256. And this -256 would be -3dB? He must know what he's talking about, he's the guru.

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #1,709 of 1,958

Quote:
Can anybody explain why the DACMagic does not do well with the Hiface?

I'm really in need of a USB to RCA Coaxial converter.

Hi ccbass,
Some are using the HiFace to improve the sound of their system.  Some are using it for your purpose, i.e., in that you need a USB to RCA Coaxial converter.  For your personal need, you'll find that the HiFace works a treat and I'd highly recommend it.

However, if you're looking out for an improvement in sound as well, then that's another matter.  You may or may not hear one, even with the DacMagic.
If you hear an improvement in sound, that's great since it's apparently expected.  However, if you don't, this is apparently not what should be and the main argument that would be given for this is that the DacMagic is an upsampling DAC.

Apparently, upsampling can be deleterious to the quality of an already highly jitter free signal.  Just how deleterious this is and whether or not this is at all audible in all setups is left to be settled.

I'm personally on the skeptic side in that I too have an upsampling DAC.  My HiFace works well, but it doesn't improve on the optical output from my iMac.  They both sound great to me and I'm not really surprised with my findings, to be honest.  A lot of claims are being made, but with very little backup through controlled testing.

So if you really need the rca coaxial interface, then go for it.  If you don't really need it and are trying to tweak your system's sound further, then your mileage will vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back