Usb 24 192khz M2tech Hiface
Jul 20, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,501 of 1,958

Quote:
After reading the thread that I posted, do you guys still bother reading this guy's (audioengr) posts? 
wink.gif

After reading that, I started wondering why he hasn't been banned.

He's full of it.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #1,502 of 1,958

After reading the thread that I posted, do you guys still bother reading this guy's (audioengr) posts? 
wink.gif

Yes, I definitely do! They work as a sanity check for me, and I like the " your system is not very resolving" part...as it's meant to make you feel dumb and vulnerable. I still rest my case that $1.3K can be much better invested than in some power cable...but we're not in the MOT thread, and I'm afraid this is getting terribly OT. Some ppl like to buy very pricey cables, it's great that some other ppl are here to help them...they basically run an OCD charity business.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #1,504 of 1,958
Quote:

Yes, I definitely do! They work as a sanity check for me, and I like the " your system is not very resolving" part...as it's meant to make you feel dumb and vulnerable. I still rest my case that $1.3K can be much better invested than in some power cable...but we're not in the MOT thread, and I'm afraid this is getting terribly OT. Some ppl like to buy very pricey cables, it's great that some other ppl are here to help them...they basically run an OCD charity business.

I totally agree with you. spending money on those power cables in your case would be a total waste of money. much better spent in something else... like... this

(sorry but could not resist)

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #1,506 of 1,958

spending money on those power cables in your case would be a total waste of money. much better spent in something else... like... this

(sorry but could not resist)

Wow, I have to admit that you are quite an entertainer mister! Tbh, if I had $1300 to burn right now...I just wouldn't know what to buy?! The only phone that would top the cd3k in my SONY fanboy head is the R10, which usually goes for ±$7000...so I guess I would put that money on a bank account w/ a high interest, and wait for a while
biggrin.gif

BTW, I see pricey cables got their supporters
shiftyj.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #1,507 of 1,958
Regarding the HiFace, sorry if this is a dumb question, but...

it sounds like it can be used on the mac with iTunes with no problem as long as the HiFace is chosen as the interface in the audio control panel, correct? (a "system-wide setting," right?)

On a PC, from what I can gather, you have to use an audio program like foobar and configure it to output thru the HiFace, so it's more of an "application-specific setting" on the PC? What I'm getting at is...is it possible to make this thing work at it's optimum configuration on a PC using iTunes?

Thanks

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #1,508 of 1,958
wasn't too fond of CD3000s back when i had them but definitely would like to try the R10s one day :)

Quote:

Wow, I have to admit that you are quite an entertainer mister! Tbh, if I had $1300 to burn right now...I just wouldn't know what to buy?! The only phone that would top the cd3k in my SONY fanboy head is the R10, which usually goes for ±$7000...so I guess I would put that money on a bank account w/ a high interest, and wait for a while
biggrin.gif

BTW, I see pricey cables got their supporters
shiftyj.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #1,509 of 1,958

Quote:
On a PC, from what I can gather, you have to use an audio program like foobar and configure it to output thru the HiFace, so it's more of an "application-specific setting" on the PC? What I'm getting at is...is it possible to make this thing work at it's optimum configuration on a PC using iTunes?

It works in all programs in Windows as a standard Windows sound device, but foobar is better when using bitperfect ASIO, kernel streaming or WASAPI.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #1,510 of 1,958

Quote:
It works in all programs in Windows as a standard Windows sound device, but foobar is better when using bitperfect ASIO, kernel streaming or WASAPI.

Right, so it looks like to use the bitperfect functionality on a PC, I have to use foobar or MediaMonkey with a plugin? 

My original concern is that my computer isn't in the same room as my audio system.  I currently have both a Sonos and an Airport Express, but am not 100% happy with their performance.  Rather than get the Sonos modded, I was considering a nice network player like a Linn, waiting for the PS Audio PerfectWave Bridge module or lastly, going the USB asynchronous DAC route for 24/192 support until I came upon these asynchronous converters.  I went ahead and preordered the M2Tech HiFace EVO and will connect it to my existing DAC via coax (Stereovox XV-2) or the AES/EBU connection. 

I don't like having a computer near my audio stuff, so was looking into USB-over-IP solutions (like Digi's AnywhereUSB, SIIG's product, or the Belkin USB Network Hub, etc) and/or wireless USB to get this into where my audio system is.  If those options fail, but the quality is sufficient from the EVO, I suppose I could build a low power fanless mini-ITX system with an SSD and hide it somewhere... but I'd rather not and might as well get the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC and Network Bridge instead.  That, or wait for their next-gen Digital Lens product which will supposedly have a slot for the bridge module.

I enjoy using the Sonos and Apple Remote apps on my iPhone and iPad - especially looking forward to the Sonos iPad app...so was initially disappointed I could not use iTunes on PC without sacrificing quality due to not using the Kernel Streaming feature.  Theoretically, it looks like I could use this "MonkeyTunes" Server app along with MediaMonkey with the Kernel Streaming plugin to allow the Apple Remote app to control MediaMonkey:

http://melloware.com/products/monkeytunes/

Pair that with a USB-over-IP solution, and I might be able to have a high-quality computer-controlled media streamer controllable via my iPhone.

Any other ideas on remote-controlling this thing?

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #1,512 of 1,958

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHMMMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Theoretically, it looks like I could use this "MonkeyTunes" Server app along with MediaMonkey with the Kernel Streaming plugin to allow the Apple Remote app to control MediaMonkey:

Any other ideas on remote-controlling this thing?

Foobar is also controllable via iPhone and presumably iPad as well via a plug-in. Apple seems to have no interest in iTunes quality for Windows, not surprising considering how little they care about the rest of their software for the Windows platform.

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #1,514 of 1,958
Is there a non-iPhone remote control for Foobar? I have a HTC smart phone with Windows Mobile, Wifi and 3G, it'd be nice to have a solution. Thanks!

Quote:

Foobar is also controllable via iPhone and presumably iPad as well via a plug-in. Apple seems to have no interest in iTunes quality for Windows, not surprising considering how little they care about the rest of their software for the Windows platform.

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #1,515 of 1,958

Quote:
Is there a non-iPhone remote control for Foobar? I have a HTC smart phone with Windows Mobile, Wifi and 3G, it'd be nice to have a solution. Thanks!

We are little OT here, but this could help you:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components_0.9#Remote_control
I hope you will find good solution for your needs.

And there are more remote control plugins available, eg.:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/foobarandroidrc/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/foohttpserver/
http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/show.php?id=63
... try to find "remote" on this page: http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/general.php
... and you can try to google more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back