Upgraditis! A fatal disease: Who had the longest and strongest immunity?
Aug 31, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #46 of 63
Since your Upgraditis target isn't specific -- I'll throw my analog setup into the ring -- which hasn't been modded or upgraded since new in 1989: Oracle Delphi Mk II TT w/Odyssey Tonearm + Promethean Green Cartridge, NYAL Tube Phono Preamp (8x6922/6DJ8 tubes), Elektron Kinetics Eagle II SS Power Amp, Duntech PCL3 speakers w/2xThor powered subwoofers, Discrete Technology speaker cables, Tara Labs subwoofer cables.

Just replaced tubes, but not upgrade - just removed dying tubes.

Will need replace cartridge since it's reached the end of its life: probably Grado Sonata MM -- and the power supply, which has died (will get same model from Oracle).

A venerable, relaxed and very musical system - nearing antique status. Perhaps the NYAL photo preamp is already there.

Aug 31, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #48 of 63
I've been very happy with my setup for ~ one year; and I still am just as happy as when I put it together. But now that there is a big PSU upgrade available for the Raptor, I will probably take another hit...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #49 of 63
My upgraditis will soon be gone, as will my presence here. Tomorrow I'm giving my computer to my friend, so no more Head-fi, and no more eBay.

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #51 of 63
I am so happy as so many of you suffer like me!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #52 of 63
Zero immunity, zero resistance, zero self control... buying the HE60 just makes me _lust_ after some HE90...

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #53 of 63
yeh, I upgraded three speaker systems in three months... a huge hole in the wallet. Now hobby in upgrading headphone seems more bearable

Aug 31, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by porschemad911
My upgraditis will soon be gone, as will my presence here. Tomorrow I'm giving my computer to my friend, so no more Head-fi, and no more eBay.

Oh No! Another Hi!/Bye!

Why no music without a computer? Portable digital music players? Portable CD/DVD players? Home music system with headphones?

Ah well. Best Wishes. Be well and enjoy life!
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #56 of 63
Well, my upgraditis started a long time ago with a $20.00 pair of speakers for my PC which just broke down and detereorated over the period of a couple of years or so of regular use (they were so crappy!), after that I decided to get a good quality product so it would last me a bit more. So, with my upgraditis driving me along I went ahead and dished out the $100.00 or so for a pair of Bose PC speakers, which up untill getting me a pair of AKG K701s (about a month or so ago) I thought were the best speakers in this damn world! Well, you know what they say "Ignorance is bliss".

I don't really remember the exact reason why I got the AKG K701s, I guess I just liked the idea of really, really big headphones!

That being said, I will never forget the very first moment I heard music from my AKGs, I thought "Holly SH#*! This can't be this good!" I had never heard anything so good before in my life...ever! Well, as you might be able to guess my beloved Bose speakers are now collecting dust.

My upgraditis is slowly creeping up on me once more. I just keep thinking "could the sound of my AKGs get any better?" According to this newly found community of mine (you guys) the answer is a desperate and expensive YES!

So, once I get enough info on the proper amplification information regarding my AKGs, you can bet I'll be getting me a nice amplifier. Furthermore the thought of also getting me a super cool PC sound card has also made my upgraditis violently explosive! so in the hope of alleviating it a bit I'm also wanting to find info. on sound cards.

I'm sure eventually I'll want to venture outside my wonderfull AKGs (probably for some Grados) but I feel that for now that day is somewhat far away
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #57 of 63
Best part is to have that "wow" factor when you acquire good gear yet knowing there are plenty of wows ahead. Pleasure with pain is more pleasurable than ever!!! CURSE YOU HEAD-FI

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #58 of 63
Do cables count?

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #59 of 63
i've downgraded my whole system, yet i don't miss my expensive gear at all...

used to have the rs-1/mad ear+ HD, CIA modwright VDA1/VAC1 combo and it was fantastic...

now i'm running with hf-1/sr200, an alien DAC/PINT or supermini IV combo...

i think a lot of the fun is trying new things...then you eventually settle on stuff you really like, some of which may not be expensive at all
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #60 of 63
Maybe I’m the winner here,

My last amp + phones purchase from dr. Jan Meier, December 01, 2002.
I already settled with my combo:
1. Arcam Diva 72 > Kimber PBJ > Corda HA-2 > Equinox + HD600 = more relaxing sound.
2. Arcam Diva 72 > Kimber PBJ > Corda HA-2 > DT 931 for serious listening.

It’s almost 5 years and I still enjoying those combos.

Porta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back