Upgraditis! A fatal disease: Who had the longest and strongest immunity?
Jul 1, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #31 of 63
I started into Head-Fi back in 2001. I got a free HD495 from Sennheiser and purchased a Headroom TotalAirHead Amp. I quickly followed that up with an SR-80 from Grado (which I almost forgot that I had). These lasted me until about May 2005 when I started reading about Dr. Xin's Supermacro3. Things have changed many times since. I hope I am finally about ready to settle on something for another period of time. You can get a sense of what I now have and what additional I may get soon from my sig. Then maybe I can rest a while and simply enjoy the music without touching those things that get between me and those zeros and ones.

My post count has gone from ~55 from 2001 to 2005 to over 1000 today...This is too much time on line. My wife now calls me addicted. When I get up in the night I sometimes check out this site. There probably is no hope for me now though.

WOW....what I am listening to now....is so much more than just a year or so ago.

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #32 of 63
Hopeless cause over here -

I've gone through at least 6 headphones, 4 IEMs, 5 amps, and 1 source (iAudio 5)... that's all since January this year. Desperation though, is forcing me to clean out my stock... hopefully that'll be it until something new comes along (or I start receiving new suggestions).

Jul 1, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #33 of 63
going cold turkey wont work - you'll just build up the fever until it breaks like a flood, and breaks your wallet too. just treat it like you would a vaccination - you know, small doses of the disease keep the doctor away. you won't ever be totally immune, but as long as you get your shots in before flu season, it should help tide you over until the next product announcement!

Jul 1, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #34 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser
My wife now calls me addicted. When I get up in the night I sometimes check out this site. There probably is no hope for me now though.

One sure part of the treatment!!! Wives!!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #35 of 63
I nominate my dad for immunity records. He bought a Hifi setup in the early 80s and nothing about it changed much. New CDP in mid 90s. New speakers 99/2000 New headphones in 2005.

Was:
Quad 34/405-2
Mission DAD7000
Beyer DT880
Monitor Audio Floorstanders

Now:
Quad 34/405-2
Arcam Alpha 7
Stax 2020
Bose Acoustimass (yeah I know, but he wanted something that wouldnt take up all the space)

Me myself? I cant seem to go 1 month without buying something, even if its some crappy vintage headphone on ebay, although I dont suppose those actually count as upgrades, more hoarding.

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #36 of 63
I lasted a month. Someone needs to bring me out to a field and shoot me in the head.
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #37 of 63
All of my blue jeans have burn marks showing through near the pockets...need I say more.

...BUT, I spend only cash on my addiction...it helps me hide the evidence from my wife
tongue.gif
...paper trail and all...

Jul 2, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #38 of 63
I think it is good that adults should give young headfiers some advice on this. We will spend everything on the system b4 we marry.

Jul 2, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #39 of 63
But the irresistible itch one develop for the disease will remain after matrimony too making them to adopt various secret tatics to cure the itch!
Indeed we need some good medicines and vaccines to cure the disease! LOL
biggrin.gif

One good way of doing it by self cure acquiring most cost-effective and efficient gear. Later concentrating on enjoying the good music! After all we all do this to enjoy wonders of music aren't we?

Jul 2, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
All of my blue jeans have burn marks showing through near the pockets...need I say more.

You have many? I have used the same clothes for 10 years.

Jul 3, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #41 of 63
I just lost my immunity again to consider Xin Supermacro over Supermini for the latest upgrade!!!! Lasted only few days!!!!!!!
k1000smile.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #42 of 63
This is becoming deadly now!

Most recently,
  1. I have got iAudio G3, Senn CX00, Senn HD580 (expecting HD600 grilles and HD650 cable) and Cardas HPI 6"(
  2. Ordered XIN SUPERMACRO
  3. Will order XENOS 0HA REP
  4. Sold PA2V2, Xenos 3HA
  5. Planning to buy HeadRoom MicroDAC and iRiver H120
  6. Planning to sell HD497 and iRiver IM450

[size=x-large]Will it ever end without killing me?? [/size]
k1000smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif

BTW is there another resonably priced DAC with all kinds of input (OPTICAL\COAXIAL\USB) versality?

Aug 31, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #44 of 63
I think I've been doing pretty well. Since joining I've bought e2c, ksc75 (x2), hd280, and ms1. Each purchase was about 6 months apart. Nothing too outragous but enough to keep that new feeling alive. Of course the next step seems to be buying an amp and I have no idea how far that will go.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #45 of 63
This poor college student has had the HD-650 for a year, with nothing but late 1980s NAD Integrated Amp to drive them with. It's going to make my Heed CanAmp sound all the more eargasmic, though! (That, by the way, is the amp I've eventually decided on ordering). Just have to wait another month or so before I get the cash to actually do so
plainface.gif

Of course, my immunity has been due to a lack of funds, and nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back