Upgraditis! A fatal disease: Who had the longest and strongest immunity?
Jun 28, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
I don't think K1000 will stop the upgraditis. It will just want you to upgrade the rest of the system instead.
evil_smiley.gif

not always.

i have not upgraded any of my home amps in ages. i am very happy running my k-1000 from my millet hybrid.

i am debating the build of a balanced m^3.

the stax system has me looking further at an outboard dac/big cd player.

Jun 28, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
Although, im about to go 6 weeks without buying anything, due to my being isolated away from the internet for that time.

Everyone, I think gstein has found the cure for upgradeitis. This is of course unless you have high end audio shops on your way to work...

Me I've been doing well. Three months have gone by.

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 63
Anyway it is a disease to be proud of!

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #19 of 63
Still only got one set of headphones (Sennheiser 540 ref) and I've had them for 20 years. I'm on my second headphone amp (headfive) because my first one is no longer operational (a Tim de Paravicini designed unit) after 20 years of service. So I guess headphones may be due for a change, but the amp should keep me going for the next 20 years.

Paul

Jun 29, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #21 of 63
If you find the sound you want you don't need to upgrade anymore. My goal was to find a cure for upgraditis, it seems like I am close now.

[size=small]Fixing problems[/size]

Nordost Valhalla power cord

Fixes RFI/EMI problem without messing up the sound.

Nordost Valkyrja or Frey headphone cable

See above. If using speakers, use Valhalla speaker cable.

PS Audio Power Plant

Cleans up dirty power. Also put a UPC-200 or UO between wall and Power Plant, there's still background noise that Valhalla reveals.

PS Audio GCC-100 amp (Underwood modification)

Lets signal pass through from source without messing it up much. Warm or bright depending on system (need to fix problems). Cheap and good enough.

ERS Paper

Blocks RFI/EMI reflections inside chassis and makes it sound smoother.

Isolation rack and feet

Reduces vibrations that messes up the sound. Equipment manufacturers knows this and tries to control the resonances and boost up the price...

Upsampling

Makes it sound smoother the higher you go. Tubes or vinyl are not required anymore at 700+ kHz. Hard to hear improvement above 800. Cary 303/300 or Reimyo CDP-777 are good enough.

Interconnect upgrade

After all problems above are fixed. Valhalla.

Hardwire cables or use Contact enhancer

Reduces signal loss problem and makes it louder with more microdynamics.

After you have fixed the major problems then what else do you want, magic?
I only upgrade if I hear something wrong with my system, I'm not interested in placebo from buying overpriced marketed "mysterious" junk. Cheap + fix problems is the way to go. It's good enough for me. $975 Benchmark DAC-1 + cheap warm interconnect is fine, it hides the 192 kHz harshness problem pretty good. I'm sure many will like it (if not, fix other problems and you will see). If you want to fix the 192 kHz problem too, then it's only $22k for "professional" 5.6448MHz upsampling EMM Labs source + few grand for interconnect.

Rule #1) If it already sounds good then you don't need to upgrade.

Jun 29, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #22 of 63
I was doing fine until SACD_Lover posted how nice the HD595 120 ohm cans sounded with the PPX3..... Now my K701's & DT880's have been sitting gathering dust. The new HD595 120's are just incredible with this amp. Who would of thought???

Jun 29, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #23 of 63
I have very little immunity. I love upgrades
orphsmile.gif

Jun 29, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #24 of 63
It seems almost everyone is susceptible!
evil_smiley.gif
No cure!!!

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #25 of 63
i have no willpower. ready to sell the car to finance more bliss

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #27 of 63
i predict that once i get the eddie current HD25 they'll be no more system upgrades for at least a year and a half, (maybe a new digital cable or something weird like that, but no major components).....

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #28 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
If I had a car I would sell it and buy cable.

who needs a fast car anyway, can only go so fast on a highway
basshead.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #30 of 63
I think the best way is to save enough before you buy the best equipments within your resonable means. But when u blow so much $$$ at one go, chances are that u wont like your music......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back