Upgraditis! A fatal disease: Who had the longest and strongest immunity?
Jun 28, 2006 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

kaushama

Headphoneus Supremus
I am again suffering from severe upgraditis after almost nine months! Common fatal disease amongst members!
biggrin.gif
The greatest enemy of the wallet and spouses!!
icon10.gif

Who had the longest immunity to it?
I doubt anybody having life-long immunity to it.

Jun 28, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 63
I got a good dose of immunization by buying the AKG K-1000. Unfortunately, Grado introduced the GS-1000. I will buy one, but I think that'll be the end of it for a good long while.

As for amplification, well, I have some soldering to do. I've got way too many parts around here and not enough time to melt some tin and lead. But I'll get to it. When the dust settles, I think that'll be the end of the amplification bug.

But sources... well, there's still more to explore there.

Jun 28, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 63
Once I went 73 days before upgrading.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
But that was just because my ears hadn't adjusted from my previous upgrade yet.
A couple days after each upgrade I start planning for the next. If I don't get a "fix" (upgrade) I get crazy...

My average time between upgrades/tweaks is 3-4 weeks.

Jun 28, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 63
I almost lasted a year
biggrin.gif

But it all went downhill after that. I've already spent $700 alone this month and I'm thinking of spending another $300
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 63
Although I'am very happy with the Aria (6 months)... I can feel the Prehead Mk II SE calling for me. Lack of a good enough source is my only temporary saviour at the moment.

So scary....

indeed.

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 63
As far as headphones go, purchasing the K701's recently is keeping me pretty healthy. I cant say the same for DAC's though. Ive got a bad case of upgrade-itis in this department.
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 63
Huh! I have more immunity than most guys it seems! But this bug causes irresistable itch, when it is active! Then eats into wallet than you ever think of getting some voluntary control. AHHHHHH I am screaming! LOL
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 63
Immunity? Yea right. I just dropped $ on the parts for a kevin gilmore solid state electrostatic amplifier. My last purchase was exactly one week ago. Although, im about to go 6 weeks without buying anything, due to my being isolated away from the internet for that time.

Jun 28, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 63
the following headphones are a good "shot" to reduce your desire to upgrade:
akg k-1000
stax omega 2
senheizer electrostatic.
ath l-3000

after any of the above, you should be good for a few months minimum. i have 2 of them, and still buy others, but i dont think of it as much as an upgrade as a possibility to find soemthing cheap that i like. after buying ANY of those, a second hand stax system can look cheap...

Jun 28, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
the following headphones are a good "shot" to reduce your desire to upgrade:
akg k-1000

I don't think K1000 will stop the upgraditis. It will just want you to upgrade the rest of the system instead.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 28, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama
I am again suffering from severe upgraditis after almost nine months! Common fatal disease amongst members!
biggrin.gif
The greatest enemy of the wallet and spouses!!
icon10.gif

Who had the longest immunity to it?
I doubt anybody having life-long immunity to it.

I must be most impressionable, suggestible, easily swayed. A couple months, I'm swimming in cans but not satisfied

Jun 28, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 63
If I be honest, the apparent immunity I have mainly due to the bug eating my thin pocket and the limiting factor is the finance! Otherwise I will be swiminng admist a sea of portable audio gadgets!!
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back