Upgrading to customs... need some advice!
Mar 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lootbag

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

(Posting in this forum because I believe the customs would be the most influential/important component of the upgrade.
I have tried to do as much reading as I could on the forums but everyone says everything is good, so here I am.)

Sort of disappeared from Head-Fi because I was so satisfied with my equipment but now I am back and looking to upgrade!
Then my friend at university suddenly invests in a new setup (UM3X, iBasso D12, Cowon J3) and gets me all worked up again.
There's no better place to stop and ask for advice than Head-Fi right?

My portable audio setup has not changed much in the past few years.
- iPod 5G RockBox'd (5-6 years)
- Westone 3 with extended large comply foam tips (2.5 years)
- Whiplash SCSCag Viablue LOD
- RSA Predator (thousands of hours)

Now I am looking to redo the entire setup.

What I had in mind was...
- Westone ES5
- Whiplash Elite Balanced TWag V2 cable
- Whiplash Elite Micro LOD (Right Exit)
- RSA Protector
- Keep iPod 5G or upgrade to Cowon J3? ( I really want something with longer battery life... so Hifiman players I think are out of the question)

Regarding the DAP, I love the sound that comes out of the iPod 5G and I have become quite accustomed to it over the many years of use.
I might just replace the battery and call it a day there.
Or should I really try a better source to make proper use of my other components?

Regarding the customs, is that my best option?
Go all out and get top of the line ES5?
Don't know if I can fully appreciate it haha.
Would it be better to go the more cost effective route and maybe try something like... 1964Qs?
Or maybe reshell my W3? But that does not really change the sound signature but rather should create a better fitting IEM.

Will this new setup rock my socks?
I know when I got my current rig, it was quite mindblowing.

Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated!
And thanks for reading.

Adrian

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 3
lootbag - Kinda same decision for me too.  I'm thinking of upgrading my iems since my SE530's are showing the cable wear like my previous SE500's before the cable started cracking.  So my decision is between the es5 and jh13.  Think I'll go the es5 route after reading reviews.  Shame I can't demo them somewhere.  I'm using RWA iMod 240g/Whiplash TWag iMod/arrow/se530 and love the sound quality.  Battery life of the iMod is short with lossless files, but I love the sound quality.  Also looking at trying an RSA amp but probably the p51 mustang.  Let me know how you like the es5 cuz that's going to be my next upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back