UPGRADING THE CRYSTAL (X0) ON ESSENCE STX
Sep 17, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #151 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try it - I'm sure 99% of listeners will hear the improved details if nothing else. And probably a lot more ! The only way to go from skeptic to cognoscenti is to hear it !

Sure. There are far too many people that make opinions based on what they have read instead of what they have actually heard.
You have me curious now, I was going to do a clock mod on another card but maybe I will do the clock mod on the ST instead to see ho it turns out. Maybe I will just order a bunch of them and mod out a few cards if the first one give audible gains which it should.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #152 of 246
Quote:

Hi,

If I understand the circuit, the CS2000 is cleaning the master clock from the AV100 (CMI8787/8788) ? That chip's datasheet says it has 750ps !

I've tried to measure it on my STX, using the method explained here.

You play a signal that is a 11025 Hz sinewave at -3 dBFS added to a square wave at 229 Hz at -90.3 dBFS. When you examine the signal around the 11025 Hz peak, the peaks at 11025-n*229 Hz and 11025+n*229 Hz result from data-induced jitter.

List of approximate jitter values:
-100 dB = ~500 ps
-110 dB = ~180 ps
-120 dB = ~60 ps
-130 dB = ~20 ps

According to this the jitter of the STX seems to be around 210-220 ps (-108 dB)

2ff442af11ee413d91e73642771c2f87.jpg

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #153 of 246
care to share the audio file, and possibly the exact method you used? if you were to make a tutorial thread, we'd have many figures from many different equipments to look at
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #154 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. There are far too many people that make opinions based on what they have read instead of what they have actually heard.
You have me curious now, I was going to do a clock mod on another card but maybe I will do the clock mod on the ST instead to see ho it turns out. Maybe I will just order a bunch of them and mod out a few cards if the first one give audible gains which it should.

Get to it - you'll be pleased for sure !

PS Ever read Moby Dick ? The ship's carpenter - 'evinced by the foolish pride of reason'.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #155 of 246
200 seems much more reasonable. Reduce that by 31% for the ST (according to Asus) gives 140. The change was noticeable ( I owned both cards ) but the 2ps XO was more noticeable - conservatively say 60 % - so I'm guessing a modded ST will be around 60ps or less jitter.

Now you just need to stop doing the maths and get the XO changed so you can appreciate for yourself what a difference it makes.
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by riderforever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried to measure it on my STX, using the method explained here.

You play a signal that is a 11025 Hz sinewave at -3 dBFS added to a square wave at 229 Hz at -90.3 dBFS. When you examine the signal around the 11025 Hz peak, the peaks at 11025-n*229 Hz and 11025+n*229 Hz result from data-induced jitter.

List of approximate jitter values:
-100 dB = ~500 ps
-110 dB = ~180 ps
-120 dB = ~60 ps
-130 dB = ~20 ps

According to this the jitter of the STX seems to be around 210-220 ps (-108 dB)

2ff442af11ee413d91e73642771c2f87.jpg

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #156 of 246
Quote:

Get to it - you'll be pleased for sure !

PS Ever read Moby Dick ? The ship's carpenter - 'evinced by the foolish pride of reason'.

Meaning?
confused.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #157 of 246
Quote:

Now you just need to stop doing the maths and get the XO changed so you can appreciate for yourself what a difference it makes.
atsmile.gif

LOL
k701smile.gif

Forgot to say I've ordered the Audio-gd clock last week, I'm just waiting for it to be delivered
wink_face.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #158 of 246
It means we shouldn't be so foolish as think something is true just because it makes sense or is logical to us.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible to work out what an XO change can do, but only experience can really say what benefit it is to the music. Of the changes I've made, is the clear winner - low cost (just US$30 in total) with the biggest return.

So I'm just trying to encourage people to stop talking theory and do it !

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #159 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by riderforever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL
k701smile.gif

Forgot to say I've ordered the Audio-gd clock last week, I'm just waiting for it to be delivered
wink_face.gif

YES ! You will be plsd for sure ! And maybe you can post before and after results ? That'd be very interesting !

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #160 of 246
Quote:

It means we shouldn't be so foolish as think something is true just because it makes sense or is logical to us.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible to work out what an XO change can do, but only experience can really say what benefit it is to the music. Of the changes I've made, is the clear winner - low cost (just US$30 in total) with the biggest return.

So I'm just trying to encourage people to stop talking theory and do it !

Yes but some like to analyze to the best of their ability what this or any upgrade might give them. Just the nature of this place.
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #161 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes but some like to analyze to the best of their ability what this or any upgrade might give them. Just the nature of this place.
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, lots of armchair travellers here :wink:

I like to theorise but only if I actually get to do it. I'm currently thinking of using a Charlize class-T amp as a headphone amp - I need to make some independant left and right cables because it is a bridge-tied-load amp and I'll probably need to mod the output filters but I reckon that amp will suit HD650s very well. It's smooth with lots of grunt and a laid back top end. We'll see....

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #163 of 246
This seems interesting! I think i want to try the audio-gd clock on my STX myself.

But the one they have on their page has wrong frequencies?
Will I just have to mail them and ask for one with 24.576 mhz?

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #165 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by awesom-o /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This seems interesting! I think i want to try the audio-gd clock on my STX myself.

But the one they have on their page has wrong frequencies?
Will I just have to mail them and ask for one with 24.576 mhz?

Yes, just email them. I got 2 modules from them that way (fast shipping, too)

Quote:

With some clock "modules" there are setting on the module itself to change the frequency. IIRC, this is the case witht he Audio-GD module

No good high-quality clock will have a variable frequency. The multiple outputs you saw on the Audio-GD module are various fractions of the base rate achieved through dividers. I belive they have F/2 F/3 and F/4 outputs, but I'd have to check again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back