Upgrading my HD25-1 ii amp/cable?
Mar 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

diodiel

500+ Head-Fier
hello there people! just wondering how i can maximize the potential of my hd25-1 ii?

im aiming for better sq and wide soundstage..

are their any special headphone amp for it? portable or non-portable?
and yea lastly im just wondering about the most best for the buck and where to get a good replacement cable to upgrade the hd25-1 ii.

thanks i hope i can get replies! any advice would be nice ^_^

ive never experience any diy stuff either

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 21
I hated my HD-25-1 with the stock steel cable. Way to bright. I put a posting here at headfi for a stock HD600 cable as a want to buy. I had a couple offers for about $15 each. That cable is much smoother and improved the phones immensely. Only problem is you have to wrap the cable around the cup of one driver to make it look neat.  You get something that looks like this (i'm using a ALO rubber band to secure the cable to the cup.) Not bad looking, I think!

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 21
Do the HD600/HD650 connectors (black/red) fit or do I have to cut sth?

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
http://www.moon-audio.com/RSA_Protector/SilverD_protector_3.jpg iwish i have these

The connectors?? I ve got my last ones at ebay.co.uk for a reasonable price incl shipping.. The problem is that I dont remember the exact size and it seems to me that the plugs of the HD 25 are smaller..

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 21
I had HD25-1 with blue dragon, but I lost them during the holidays. where DID they go!? :frowning2:  I stumbled on to this thread as I was looking around to see if there's any good alternatives or if I should re-buy them. Anyway, I sorta remember that the blue dragon tones the brightness down a bit from the HD600 cables. Its been a while since I compared them though. As chadbang said, stock cables were horrible.

Quote:
@chadbang lol you should teach on how you did that

@mono iono they looked like the cables on hd25 but i read someone having a silver dragon on their hd25

Mar 3, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
I had HD25-1 with blue dragon, but I lost them during the holidays. where DID they go!? :frowning2:  I stumbled on to this thread as I was looking around to see if there's any good alternatives or if I should re-buy them. Anyway, I sorta remember that the blue dragon tones the brightness down a bit from the HD600 cables. Its been a while since I compared them though. As chadbang said, stock cables were horrible.

oh thats good to know sir that would be perfect, are those better than the black dragon, and the one that says for sennheisers all can fit to hd25? and do you use any amp/dac that matches good with hd25s? thanks :)

http://www.moon-audio.com/Images/Blue%20D%20Head5.jpg its this one right?

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 21

Quote:

I have one question concerning the termination. Was the blue dragon terminated with the normal aftermarket connectors for the HD650/HD600? I am playing with the idea to replace my cable because beside the good sound, I dont like it at all when I touch the cable and I can really hear it (microphonics).

Oh ..ok, I have looked at the pictures and it seems the plugs are the same :)

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 21
Yeah, those are the ones. Silver/Black Dragons weren't around for purchase when I was looking around for a replacement. I bought the blue dragons when I was able to compare the HD600 cable and the blue-dragon at a meet . I did listen to silver dragons at a meet afterward though, and remember thinking the silver dragon sounded more refined overall. The blue-dragon bass could sound bloaty vis-a-vis with the silver dragon.
I don't know about DACs as I used the HD25-1 for my iPod, and I only carried around my Hornet and Pico when I used my Etys.
Quote:
oh thats good to know sir that would be perfect, are those better than the black dragon, and the one that says for sennheisers all can fit to hd25? and do you use any amp/dac that matches good with hd25s? thanks :)

http://www.moon-audio.com/Images/Blue%20D%20Head5.jpg its this one right?

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
The connectors?? I ve got my last ones at ebay.co.uk for a reasonable price incl shipping.. The problem is that I dont remember the exact size and it seems to me that the plugs of the HD 25 are smaller..

The actual connectors are exactly the same - but the HD 600/650 cable has fatter ends where the cable comes out.  This was so the connector would fit tight into the cut-out of the 600/650 and not wobble and crackle.

If you use the HD 25-1 professionally outdoors (as it was designed for), lightly dip the mini-plugs into Vaseline before plugging them in.  This helps prevent oxidisation and tarnishing of the connectors.  This is really for Sound Recordists using them outdoors in all weathers.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #13 of 21
Thats the answer :) Thanks a lot!!

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
The actual connectors are exactly the same - but the HD 600/650 cable has fatter ends where the cable comes out.  This was so the connector would fit tight into the cut-out of the 600/650 and not wobble and crackle.

If you use the HD 25-1 professionally outdoors (as it was designed for), lightly dip the mini-plugs into Vaseline before plugging them in.  This helps prevent oxidisation and tarnishing of the connectors.  This is really for Sound Recordists using them outdoors in all weathers.

lol that reminds me when i replace my car batteries/lights.

@zChan im kinda getting my eyes on headphile's silverblack theyre around 100 bucks ill see maybe after i get fiio e7 =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back