Upgrading from my Sennheiser HD238's. Would like open headphones. What should I look at?
Dec 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

willmiz

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sennheiser 238's that I love, and would now like to take my listening to a new level. Here are some details:

I listen to a lot of bass heavy music (house, trance) as well as lots of acoustic/alt rock.
I am very satisfied with the level of bass on my HD238's (a little more bassy) and would like a set of headphones with similar bass.
I would like something comfy, though it isn't a huge deal if it means great performance. 
I would like to find something I can find for $200 or under (new or used)

I have been looking at K701/2's as well as Grado SR80's. How do these compare to the HD238s? Are the K701/2's worth the extra $100 over the Grados? Also, if there is anything else someone suggests I should look at let me know.

Much appreciated! Thanks!

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 5
If you want to get the 701/2s, be prepared to spend more money (>500) on a proper amp to really get the bass up. Unamped, you may not like their anemic bass, especially since you're coming from a bassy set of cans.

I like grados with electronica and metal. However, I wouldn't say they are very bassy either, being an open can.

Try the beyerdynamic DT 770(closed)/880/990s and the sennheiser hd600s, i like the bass of the beyers (not the mids though) and the musicality of the hd600s.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 5
Feels like I'm hijacking every thread here, but I guess it's better than starting new ones. I currently have a pair of Goldring DR150's, they were 130$ here (Sweden) so compared to UK (£60 or 100$) they weren't very cheap, and it was kind of stupid of me to not check prices in other European countries before buying here.

But enough about that, I'm wondering how much I'll have to pay for a fairly proper upgrade. I've looked primarily at the AKG K 242 HD's, Sennheiser's HD280 Pro and the AKG K 240's. They're all in the same price range (around 150$. The K242's were a little more expensive in Sweden, but they could be ordered from Germany at around 150$), and they're all fairly known and acclaimed.

I'm mostly wondering - will any of these, mainly AKG K 242 HD, need an amp? I won't buy 'em right now but I'm getting a better soundcard now, and I have to know if it's worth paying for Essence ST or if Xonar DX or perhaps EMU 0404 will do.

I've also looked a bit at DT-770 Pro 80Ohm, but they were much less inexpensive and will probably need a proper amp..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back