Upgrading from my Klipsch S4. Ideas? Suggestions?
Jul 31, 2010 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

cquedado

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 21, 2009
Posts
7
Likes
0
Hey all
 
I used to own a set of klipsch s4's but they recently broke (they fell out of my ear while riding my bike and got eaten up by the spokes in my tires)...
 
Anyways, i loved em a lot for the bass and comfort. But now i'm looking to upgrade. What do you think would be the next logical step, with bass/comfort in mind. I'd be willing to throw down $150 max. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
 
Carlo
 
Jul 31, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 18

bisayaboi

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Posts
536
Likes
22


Quote:
Hey all
 
I used to own a set of klipsch s4's but they recently broke (they fell out of my ear while riding my bike and got eaten up by the spokes in my tires)...
 
Anyways, i loved em a lot for the bass and comfort. But now i'm looking to upgrade. What do you think would be the next logical step, with bass/comfort in mind. I'd be willing to throw down $150 max. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
 
Carlo

Fischer Audio DBA-02's no question.
 
Oh, and I highly reccomend taking a look at joker's IEM review thread to make a better decision:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-91-iems-compared-fischer-dba-02-ath-ck90pro-phaiton-ps200-q-jays-added-07-26
 
Jul 31, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 18

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Posts
8,311
Likes
1,977
DBA2 would a great upgrade for. I would recommend Radius but from the sounds of it they would be a bad choice ergonomically speaking. You can also look at the klipsch custom 3 as they are clearing out for around your price range.
 
Jul 31, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 18

rawrster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Posts
10,565
Likes
206
DBA-02 for bass? They definitely have a lot less bass quantity than the S4 from my memory of the S4. Of course the quality is much better. Comfort on the DBA-02 is better imo however.
 
Jul 31, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 18

bisayaboi

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Posts
536
Likes
22


Quote:
DBA-02 for bass? They definitely have a lot less bass quantity than the S4 from my memory of the S4. Of course the quality is much better. Comfort on the DBA-02 is better imo however.

However the bass on the DBA-02 should be more impactful than those such as the RE0, ER4s, and possibly CK-10 correct?
 
 
Jul 31, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 18

rawrster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Posts
10,565
Likes
206
It's more than the RE0. I don't know about the ER4 and I remember it being a bit more than the CK10 but I didn't do much A/B when I had them both. Either way it's still nowhere near S4 level of bass and the difference in impact between the CK10 and DBA-02 isn't exactly night and day.
 
Aug 1, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 18

imisim

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Posts
1
Likes
0
Why not get the same one again.  You can get the S4 at an online authorized dealer for $55.79, which is a bargain.  I just bought it yesterday.
 
IMAGES4B Image S4 Comfort-Fit Noise-Isolating in-ear Heapdhones - Black1$79.00$79.00
Order Subtotal: $79.00
Promotional Discount($23.21)
Sales Tax: (PA Residents Only)$0.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Order Total: $55.79


 
Aug 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 18

fallingreason

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Posts
775
Likes
22
Try the IE7's if someone is selling them here for ~$150ish.  Although, I tried them on my bike and i get horrible noise from the wind.
 
I am curious, do the S4's isolate well enough while road biking so that you don't get the loud wind noise over the music??
 
 
Aug 2, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 18

Kunlun

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Posts
3,750
Likes
386


 
Quote:
Fischer Audio DBA-02's no question.
 
Oh, and I highly reccomend taking a look at joker's IEM review thread to make a better decision:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-91-iems-compared-fischer-dba-02-ath-ck90pro-phaiton-ps200-q-jays-added-07-26



Are you kidding? That's a terrible choice.
The guy liked the bass on the S4.
The DBA-02 will be a huge disappointment on that score.
 
The monster turbine is a good suggestion and you can get them for around $105 or so.
Haven't heard the Custom 3's but it's probably a good choice, too, if you don't mind the cable (I didn't on my custom 2).
 
Aug 2, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 18

Kunlun

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 25, 2010
Posts
3,750
Likes
386


 
Quote:
Try the IE7's if someone is selling them here for ~$150ish.  Although, I tried them on my bike and i get horrible noise from the wind.
 
I am curious, do the S4's isolate well enough while road biking so that you don't get the loud wind noise over the music??
 

wearing them over-the-ear cuts microphonics, isolation is pretty good on the s4
 
didn't bike with the ones I had, but I don't recall wind being a problem when I ran

 
 
Aug 2, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 18

bisayaboi

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Posts
536
Likes
22


Quote:
 


Are you kidding? That's a terrible choice.
The guy liked the bass on the S4.
The DBA-02 will be a huge disappointment on that score.
 
The monster turbine is a good suggestion and you can get them for around $105 or so.
Haven't heard the Custom 3's but it's probably a good choice, too, if you don't mind the cable (I didn't on my custom 2).

In terms of value I will recommend it all day.
 
I really like bass but I did NOT mind going to the RE0.
 
 
Aug 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 18

tacomn

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 14, 2010
Posts
473
Likes
10
well it depends exactly what your trying to go for.. I would recommend the dba in that price rang, but they are more balanced and thus more natural. They are obviously going to be a step up from the s4 in terms of analytics but I you want the most bass then dba will disappoint. Radius is great I hear for bass- but fitting seems to be a problem for some. With talking to them these people usually have small ears. Finnaly hippo vb and fisher enterna vs 1 seem to have great bass and are alot cheaper, 80 dollar range.   
 
Aug 2, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 18

rawrster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Posts
10,565
Likes
206


Quote:
In terms of value I will recommend it all day.
 
I really like bass but I did NOT mind going to the RE0.
 


I'd have to agree with Kunlun here. I have the DBA-02 and I've owned the S4 in the past. Judging the OP's desire for bass/comfort the DBA-02 are not that great a choice. The OP liked the bass from the S4 and quantity wise the S4 has much more bass but quality is better on the DBA-02. I like the DBA-02 a lot but I would not recommend them. Just because something is a good value buy does not mean everyone will like it.
 
Actually something to consider may be the Golds. I believe they go for around $150 but not too sure about that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top