Upgrading from Klispch S4 need recommendations please!
Nov 15, 2010 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sdhobbs

New Head-Fier
These Klipsch S4's are my first IEM's.  I've used them everyday for a few weeks now.  At first I really liked them but now i'm kinda of bored with them.  They have good bass but the overall sound is muffled.  They sound good with hip hop & trance but muffled with everything else. I mainly listen to alt. rock, I don't listen to classical or jazz.  They fit great, they are light and comfortable with medium size tips they come with.
I use a Fiio E7 connected to either a computer or ipod.

I'm looking for IEM's with similar fit but better detailed and clear sparkly highs, really overall better sound.  I like punchy bass, since I listen to rock, I like to hear the impact of drums and bass but don't want to loose the vocals and guitars which is happening with the S4's.  Could you guys recommend something that would go well with my Fiio that has better highs than my S4's and still has some bass?  My Fiio has a bass boost option that works well, could that help if I got IEM's that lack bass but have good highs?

Some IEM's i've been considering:
RE-0
IE8
Westone 3
UE TripleFi 10
Monster Turbine Gold

Thanks for you help!!

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 15
Go with either the TripleFi or W3.  TripleFi has more sparkle in the highs, Westone's have more bass.  Both are fantastic.  I believe the fit to be superior with the Westone 3's though.

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 15

Thanks for your help!  Since I will be wearing them everyday for 6-8hrs comfort & fit is important for me.  I can wear my S4 all day with no issues.  Maybe Westone 3's may be the call if they have better fit.  I've also been reading about some quality issues with the Triple Fi's from reviews on Amazon.  Someone said that after Logitech bough the company their quality isn't the same.

Quote:
Go with either the TripleFi or W3.  TripleFi has more sparkle in the highs, Westone's have more bass.  Both are fantastic.  I believe the fit to be superior with the Westone 3's though.

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 15
Jokers imrpessions of the Westone 3 made themout ot be pretty good.  No experience witht hem myself, but it caught my eye.

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 15
The natural step up would probably most be the HJE900. However there are a couple questions to ask yourself. Do you want a BA or a dynamic driver earphones and how important is isolation? There are some differences and the main one is the low bass rumble is present on most dynamics and timbre is a bit different with BA.

If the HJE900 is not an option then the W3 is probably the only other one that sounds similar enough but better although I consider the W3 better than the HJE900 as well.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 15

I think I want a dynamic driver earphone.  But i'm not sure really, from what I have read people seem divided as to which has better bass.  My S4's are dynamic and I like the bass rumble in those.  From what fallingreason said the Westone 3 has more bass than the TripleFi 10 which is cool as long as it doesn't muffle the highs like my S4.   I listen to 90% rock music so bass impact is key, but not bloated type bass which sounds cool for hip hop or trance but muffles guitars and vocals in most rock.

Thank you also for your help.  Sounds like another vote for the Westone 3! 

Quote:
The natural step up would probably most be the HJE900. However there are a couple questions to ask yourself. Do you want a BA or a dynamic driver earphones and how important is isolation? There are some differences and the main one is the low bass rumble is present on most dynamics and timbre is a bit different with BA.

If the HJE900 is not an option then the W3 is probably the only other one that sounds similar enough but better although I consider the W3 better than the HJE900 as well.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 15
+2 on the HJE900 for rock, and bass-needed music.  It has better defined and controlled bass than the S4, but still just as deep and impactful.  It also has cleaner highs than the S4.  After 60 hours or so, the treble on the HJE900 smooths out and fits well with the bass -- on the S4, it just stays rather piercing.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 15
If you want a dynamic it might be hard to get anything better than a HJE900. The fit is a bit different and you may have to get an extra cable like I did with one of the Sleek Audio cables. It's much cheaper than the W3 or the like and total it would be around $110 or so including the cable and $90 with the stock cable. The sound signature of both the HJE900 and S4 are similar in many ways but the HJE900 being the better earphone.

RE0 should not be considered at all.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 15

I will consider the HJE900.  I'm such a noob I have not listened to a BA. IEM so I don't know if I would like it or not.  I don't have to get a dynamic IEM if a BA. will sound good.  I would spring for the more expensive W3 if it's a better rock headphone than the HJE900?

Quote:
If you want a dynamic it might be hard to get anything better than a HJE900. The fit is a bit different and you may have to get an extra cable like I did with one of the Sleek Audio cables. It's much cheaper than the W3 or the like and total it would be around $110 or so including the cable and $90 with the stock cable. The sound signature of both the HJE900 and S4 are similar in many ways but the HJE900 being the better earphone.

RE0 should not be considered at all.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Jokers imrpessions of the Westone 3 made themout ot be pretty good.  No experience witht hem myself, but it caught my eye.

from the massive IEM shootout? if so, I think that was the UM3x, generally, people seem to prefer the W3 though 

scratch that, just saw he updated the thread, my bad

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
I think I want a dynamic driver earphone.  But i'm not sure really, from what I have read people seem divided as to which has better bass.  My S4's are dynamic and I like the bass rumble in those.  From what fallingreason said the Westone 3 has more bass than the TripleFi 10 which is cool as long as it doesn't muffle the highs like my S4.   I listen to 90% rock music so bass impact is key, but not bloated type bass which sounds cool for hip hop or trance but muffles guitars and vocals in most rock.

Quote:

though honestly, I would recommend either the brainwavz M2 or M3, the M2 is highly regarded because it has emphasis on bass (techno, trance, hip hop) but manages to remain very clear for a pair of IEMs

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 15

The M3 looks pretty cool.  It's better than the W3?  That's impressive, considering the W3 costs x3 more!  I also noticed that that they offer Fio E7 combos with the M3, does that mean they work well with Fiio products?  That would be great if that's the case.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

though honestly, I would recommend either the brainwavz M2 or M3, the M2 is highly regarded because it has emphasis on bass (techno, trance, hip hop) but manages to remain very clear for a pair of IEMs

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
The M3 looks pretty cool.  It's better than the W3?  That's impressive, considering the W3 costs x3 more!  I also noticed that that they offer Fio E7 combos with the M3, does that mean they work well with Fiio products?  That would be great if that's the case.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I meant it was great for the price and IMO superior to the s4 for multiple reasons

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 15

Oh ok, thanks buffalowings.  Now that i've had a taste of how cool IEM's can be I want to step up to a higher end product that will last me a while.  The reviews I read about the M3's also said they are really good for the price.  I wish I would have started out with those instead of the S4's, I probably wouldn't be upgrading so soon :0)

Still leaning towards the W3 for fit, good bass with clear highs.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I meant it was great for the price and IMO superior to the s4 for multiple reasons

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #15 of 15
two days ago, i plugged in a spare comply leftover from a 530 i believe, onto the S4...
and it seems to have tighten up the bass and overall sound of the S4,
( this klipsch S4 has a ovalshaped earbud tats specially designed for the ear canal..
so i had resisted trying out other buds on it since i bought it two months back..)

Sure gotten me off the "boredom" with this iem..re-enjoying this right now.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back