Upgrading from Audio-Technica ATH M50s
Aug 18, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
I've been using my ATH M50s for a while now, and I think it's time for an upgrade. Right now I'm using a NuForce uDAC 2 to power my headphones, I would like to keep that, because I really don't want to buy another USB amp/dac. I'm a total bass head, I listen to a lot of hip hop, so lots of bass is a must. Sometimes, I listen to a bit of jazz though. My budget is probably around $200, I don't want to spend too much. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 580.

And it's well under budget. It's an upgrade from the M50, in my opinion, in almost all categories, but specifically, in bass, which is what you're looking for. You'll find the headphone more engaging, more fun, more colored, and less boring and flat than the M50, which is neutral. The 580 is not neutral, it's a bass machine with good detail and sound stage. It's excellent for your bass cravings and jazz and everything frankly. And it's not expensive. If you want more, you'll need to look for a used Denon D2000 or Ultrasone Pro 900. Your uDac2 is fine, no need to upgrade there.

Done.

Very best,

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
Heya,  
Ultrasone HFI 580.

And it's well under budget. It's an upgrade from the M50, in my opinion, in almost all categories, but specifically, in bass, which is what you're looking for. You'll find the headphone more engaging, more fun, more colored, and less boring and flat than the M50, which is neutral. The 580 is not neutral, it's a bass machine with good detail and sound stage. It's excellent for your bass cravings and jazz and everything frankly. And it's not expensive. If you want more, you'll need to look for a used Denon D2000 or Ultrasone Pro 900. Your uDac2 is fine, no need to upgrade there.

Done.

Very best,

It ain't exactly a bass machine, but it has some sick kick.

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #18 of 19

Quote:

I don't agree with the bolded parts. The 518, if anything, sound like they're on the same speed as the M50, and whilst articulation sounds a little unrefined to me, you've got the rest spot-on (with the exception of the subwoofer part, I sense exaggeration there). Detail retrieval is just slightly worse than the M50 but texturing and layering capabilities are almost equal. Treble extension-wise, the M50 have the edge (though some may call it slightly harsh, myself included). As for sub-bass, extension is better on the M50.

Overall, a very good fight put up by K518 considering that it's $80.

Then I must be doing rather well, since I just ordered some from amazon for $48.

A year ago I wanted some m50's, but they were out of my price range by just a tad. I settled for the AD700's since I wanted to use them on my gaming pc and for extended periods of listening comfort. I really enjoy those, but I have always missed some extra bass umph. They are also rather analytical, which at times I love... but not always fun to listen with as your only pair of phones.

So I read up on these 518's and decided they might be an alright compliment to my AD700's with a thirst for m50's. Although with more portability. You and the previous posters words sounds like I picked a winner!

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #19 of 19
If someone really wants advice on something like the question the OP asked they need to be more specific.  Just asking "what's an upgrade" isn't going to get you anything more than people saying whatever random headphones they like.  If you own the M50, it's a great reference because lots of people have heard it.  Say something about it.  What do you like, dislike about the bass, mids, treble.  Make a list.  Use words.  Get flowery, emotional, use pictures if you have to.  Compare your thoughts to food.  Whatever.  Anything is better than just "what's an upgrade"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back