Upgrading from Audio-Technica ATH M50s
Jan 16, 2011 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

moocow111

Head-Fier
I've been using my ATH M50s for a while now, and I think it's time for an upgrade. Right now I'm using a NuForce uDAC 2 to power my headphones, I would like to keep that, because I really don't want to buy another USB amp/dac. I'm a total bass head, I listen to a lot of hip hop, so lots of bass is a must. Sometimes, I listen to a bit of jazz though. My budget is probably around $200, I don't want to spend too much. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 19
I personally don't think you can do any better than the M50 for 200$ if you are a bass-head and you want closed headphones.  If you want to try an open headphone with slightly less bass, then maybe there's something.  Or if you just want a different flavor for some variety or a different sound sig you might prefer.  But I don't think you'll find something that is objectively better.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 19
Some upgrade recommendations for ya:

Beyerdynamice DT 770 32 Ohm, DT 990 32 Ohm

Denon AH-D2000

Both the Beyers and the Denons have DEEP well extended base as well as a nice aggressive sound signature.  I think you'll find any of them a nice upgrage to your M50s.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 19
Allow me to add a few more recommendations for ya:

Ultrasone HFi 580, HFi 780

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 19
The 990/250 at Amazon for $180 is probably the best you are going to do within your budget. They are not closed phones though. The M50 are actually a very unique headphone with its sound quality in a portable, closed package. Really hard to beat if portability is a must.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 19
i personally went from M50 to Denon AH-D2000. I used my M50 at work for about 8 months, and they got to be too uncomfortable, so I went for some much more comfortable headphones with slightly better sound :)

Perfect upgrade IMO. This is solely for work use though, at home I use open headphones (HD-598) with my turntable :wink:

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 19
Even though this thread is over a half-a-year-old that was bumped up... I think the M50s are the most overhyped pair of headphones I've ever seen. Yeah they are very, very good for the price, but it's definitely not for bassheads (since the OP claimed he wants bass). I found that the DT770 Pros had a better overall sound that I was looking for than the M50.

Aug 17, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 19
I would try the Denon D2000s (actually I've been dying to do just that) I haven't ever heard Denon headphones but based on reviews and their frequency response graph (at headphone.com) I would say they might be a good choice for you. Unless you really want a TON more bass, the kind of bass the Sony XB series or Pro 900 can offer.

pshhyeahh, I'm right there with you. The M50s are great and I absolutely love mine but they don't have NEARLY enough sub bass to even be enjoyable for any kind of electronic or hip hop, although I should say that my idea of a computer sound system involves a 12" Polk sub. Obviously headphones can't match that punched-in-the-gut feeling that a subwoofer provides but the impact of the bass is half of what makes these genres enjoyable (to the people that like them, that is).

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 19
The M50s are stellar for the price. The Denon D2000 will bring a larger soundstage more refined treble and a deeper bass extension but the ATs hit a bit harder. The D2000 are rolling over $350 way out of budget. But wait no ones mentioned the AKG K518 LE.

The 518s make everything else pale in comparison. It's almost like listening to full range speakers + 12" balanced sub woofer. Since these were going to be for music you will appreciate the hard hitting sub bass, so rich it's gotta be fattening mids and treble extension that is so accurate you can feel the textures in the cymbal crashes and high hats amongst everything else. Electronica, rap, hip-hop, rock, almost anything modern sound so much better through these phones than the AT or Denons. ( I own both) The great thing about these are they come in under $50. They're portables that sound great directly out of iPhone. Lots of peeps complain short cord and bout the clamping force but once you listen to these you will forget the pain as the pleasure running through you ears will more than compensate.

The 518s brings a level of headphone to the competition that no one will be able to compete with at 4X's the price. No typo. The 518s are so fast, articulate, dynamic, smooth, efficient, detailed, natural sounding, and FUN! I am relistening to my entire collection as I can't wait to put these back on any moment I can! Two of my friends agree that while the ATs and Denons are great the AKGs are more musical and natural at the same time with better bass.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #14 of 19
The AKG K81's and K518 are pretty much the same. Ive used both personally and I didn't hear anything different.

I use the K81's w/ Senn HD 25 velour pads for mixing.

Another good choice of bass heavy headphones would be the Pioneer HDJ-1000's. Far bassier than the M50's and K81's.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
The M50s are stellar for the price. The Denon D2000 will bring a larger soundstage more refined treble and a deeper bass extension but the ATs hit a bit harder. The D2000 are rolling over $350 way out of budget. But wait no ones mentioned the AKG K518 LE.

The 518s make everything else pale in comparison. It's almost like listening to full range speakers + 12" balanced sub woofer. Since these were going to be for music you will appreciate the hard hitting sub bass, so rich it's gotta be fattening mids and treble extension that is so accurate you can feel the textures in the cymbal crashes and high hats amongst everything else. Electronica, rap, hip-hop, rock, almost anything modern sound so much better through these phones than the AT or Denons. ( I own both) The great thing about these are they come in under $50. They're portables that sound great directly out of iPhone. Lots of peeps complain short cord and bout the clamping force but once you listen to these you will forget the pain as the pleasure running through you ears will more than compensate.

The 518s brings a level of headphone to the competition that no one will be able to compete with at 4X's the price. No typo. The 518s are so fast, articulate, dynamic, smooth, efficient, detailed, natural sounding, and FUN! I am relistening to my entire collection as I can't wait to put these back on any moment I can! Two of my friends agree that while the ATs and Denons are great the AKGs are more musical and natural at the same time with better bass.

I don't agree with the bolded parts. The 518, if anything, sound like they're on the same speed as the M50, and whilst articulation sounds a little unrefined to me, you've got the rest spot-on (with the exception of the subwoofer part, I sense exaggeration there). Detail retrieval is just slightly worse than the M50 but texturing and layering capabilities are almost equal. Treble extension-wise, the M50 have the edge (though some may call it slightly harsh, myself included). As for sub-bass, extension is better on the M50.

Overall, a very good fight put up by K518 considering that it's $80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back