Upgrade Ideas from Denon AH-D7000
Sep 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:
How does the Bass of the HD800 and the T1 compare to the D7000?

The one thing I love about the D7000's is they are the first headphones I found that could even come close to producing a bass note like the JL 12W3V3s I used to have in my car did.

I really want more full mids and perhaps a better soundstage, but I don't want to sacrifice a ton of bass to get there.

I also wouldn't mind headphones that didn't make my ears sweat, but that's a secondary concern.

I'm also considering just doing Amp/Dac first since it should help the D7000 now, and would make a world of difference with a lot of the better headphones out there. With that I'm more torn about how big to go, balanced/unbalanced, separates or combo, etc. I'm very curious to see the reviews of the new schiit balanced stuff. I guess if I decide to go that way though I'll make a different thread in the appropriate forum.

I'm also curious about how well the D7000 take to recabling/balancing. I understand a lot of people like the MarkL mod, but the idea of filling my headphones with dynamat just seems wrong to me somehow.

That's tough requirement. As nature of closed cans, D7000 has a lot of bass that open-aire cans cannot produce.

You are not going to get same quantity of bass of D7000 from either HD800, T1 nor LCD-2.

HD800 is very slightly bass-light for average headphones, so it is out of question for people who like bass.

T1 has a lot of bass yet very tight compared to D7000, and LCD-2's bass is between HD800 and T1. LCD-2 is probably the most balanced ortho/dynamic headphones you can buy (I dislike LCD-3 so I won't comment on it)

I see you are basshead... Beyer T1 is the safe bet for you. T1 has both good bass (tho not much as D7000 in quantity) and amazing high (while not as good/balanced as HD800 and LCD-2).

That say, HD800, T1 and LCD-2 are just far better headphones than D7000 (with higher prices as well) in general, but you won't want to get HD800 if bass concerns you. If you want closed headphones, Kenwood KH-K1000 is also good choice since it is a bit better than D7000 while it is actually cheaper to obtain as well.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #17 of 24
Let's say that the words bass and HD800 are mutually exclusive in most circumstances. You can have one but not both. Unless you spend ages trying out various headamps or get a headamp tuned to your HD800. I had to modify a headamp that I had put together years ago so that I could get my HD800 to perform to its capability. The problem is not with the HD800 so don't get me wrong as far as my initial comments are concerned about the bass on it. The problem is that the HD800 doesn't take prisoners when it comes to its current ( read Amperes) requirements. It needs a healthy amount of them. Those massive 55mm drivers just don't want to play with little toys pretending to be proper headamps. I tried a Ray Samuels, Graham Slee, Russ Andrews amongst many just to drive the HD800. So forget them if you don't have the patience and deep pockets.

As for the D7000: it's so easy to drive with even the most basic of headamps or headphone socket output of most DACs. But I advise against using it from the headphone socket of an integrated or preamp. I plugged in my D7000 in a wide range of amplifiers owned by friends of mine but only the dedicated headamps and DACs with headphone sockets managed to do it any justice. The downside of this is that because the D7000 is so easy to please, it also puts you in a state of denial. It wouldn't surprise me if many D7000 owners abandoned looking any further than the first headphone socket they plugged the D7000 and that sounded good. But don't be fooled for one moment. The D7000 can perform far better if fed with steroids disguised as a capable headamp. Bass is the best I have heard in terms of solidity and clarity coupled with depth. The mids are not fatiguing or painful on the eardrums. And the treble is far sweeter than the HD800 with less grain.

The HD800 has a better soundstage and binaural performance and is a pleasure to use when listening to such things as F1 motor racing. Maybe not what they were designed for, but I thought that I should mention that in passing. It also has the best dynamic response that I have heard so far. So caution is advised if you are listening to very dynamic music. It's the one set of cans that has me reaching for the volume control more often than not. The level of detail it can expose in the music is amazing but any sudden outburst of sound when you are concentrating on faint new information in the music can be alarmingly scary. Not suitable to listen to the audio content of Jurassic Park unless you have eardrums made of kevlar.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #18 of 24
After I just wrote the reply above, I suddenly remembered Grado PS1000, and realized it just perfectly fits for your purpose.

It has truly amazing bass (probably best bass you can ever get from open-aire headphones) and truly amazing high. The problem is its mid is colored as 'Grado sound' and you may not like it at all. :p

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #19 of 24
Totes agreed. I wouldn't take a bunch of dynamat and put it in my fiancee's headphones. ^ ^ Now I'm shopping for a pair of headphones for myself, and I'm finding that the TH900 and TH600 are maybe not the end-all be-all - though I am heavily leaning toward the th600 still. What I'd REALLY like is to find someone who's tried the AH-D7000/TH600 against the Alpha Dog and Mad Dog.

Nov 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #20 of 24
I compared the D7000 to the Alpha Dog for a little bit at the Philly meet. Me and another person at the meet were listening to them back and forth on a Matrix M-Stage/ODAC combo (an amp better suited to the Denons, so keep that in mind).

The Alpha Dogs sounded great, but both of us preferred the Denons. The Alphas sounded more sterile and less natural, as well as having difficulty with a specific loud violin portion of Yo Yo Ma's Goat Rodeo Sessions. Another difference we noticed is the Alphas lacked the "magic" the Denons have (a more natural acoustic and euphonic sound that complemented the music extremely well).

The Alpha Dogs were overall more mids-focused and a bit more balanced, they have a very light drop in the highs, which is the opposite of the Denons.

The Denons were D7000's with a full MarkL dynamat mod and no pad mods.

The Alpha Dogs are cheaper than the D7000's currently, so I'm not that surprised we preferred the Denons. The Alpha Dogs are definitely more for those who prefer reference-type headphones and would be incredible for studio work. The Denons are more colored, but in a very nice way, also warmer.

I would say it ultimately comes down to which signature you prefer, the Alpha signature or the Denon signature. Both have minor issues in the highs (the shouty/grainy violin issue with the Alphas and the sibilance sensitivity with the Denons).

I can't say which you'll prefer, I can only say which one I (and my buddy) preferred at the time with the equipment we were using listening to the music we were listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back