Upgrade from Sennheiser HD518. Suggestions / Advice Please.
Sep 17, 2012 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Xetheon

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade to some new over-ear phones. I love the sound of the 518's but i want more! I've been looking at the Shure 1440 / AKG 701 / HiFiMan HE-400 and a few others. So thats my price range. I could possibly push it out to the HE-500 or the Shure 1840 or an equivalently priced headphone. AUD $700ish Max! But only if it's absolutely worth it. I'd prefer something under $500. I'll be running the headphones through my PCs onboard soundcard for now, i'll be buying an ASUS Xonar ST soon as well. Unless you guy's have a better suggestion.

I want some headphones that'll bring my music alive :D

In terms of music preference, i'm listening to music along the lines of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Beatles, Tool, Rage Against The Machine, Foo Fighters and some occasional Trance/Dance/Psy Music. All FLAC, i won't be playing much low quality files.

Any suggestions or advice about the phones i mentioned would be awesome.
Cheers!

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 3
after long research I will go for the shure 1840's as they seem the most suited for me...
+ easiest to get for me here in europe...

EDIT: changed my wishlist from the 1840 to a grado 325is... Might want to try the shure's later...

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
I'm looking to upgrade to some new over-ear phones. I love the sound of the 518's but i want more! I've been looking at the Shure 1440 / AKG 701 / HiFiMan HE-400 and a few others. So thats my price range. I could possibly push it out to the HE-500 or the Shure 1840 or an equivalently priced headphone. AUD $700ish Max! But only if it's absolutely worth it. I'd prefer something under $500. I'll be running the headphones through my PCs onboard soundcard for now, i'll be buying an ASUS Xonar ST soon as well. Unless you guy's have a better suggestion.

I want some headphones that'll bring my music alive :D

In terms of music preference, i'm listening to music along the lines of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson, Beatles, Tool, Rage Against The Machine, Foo Fighters and some occasional Trance/Dance/Psy Music. All FLAC, i won't be playing much low quality files.

Any suggestions or advice about the phones i mentioned would be awesome.
Cheers!

Heya,

Before you start spending that much on headphones, consider you just said "PC's onboard soundcard". I would get a mid-fi headphone and put a budget for either a proper sound card (STX, Claro Halo), or a good discreet DAC/AMP unit. Alternatively, ensure the headphone you get is really efficient so that you can avoid needing powerful amplifiers so you can just get a good clean DAC unit with a small amplifier built in so that you can put more towards the headphone. An example of such a thing would be a Denon D5000 or Denon D7000 and use a simple Fiio E10 DAC/AMP or E17, or something similar. I would not even get the Xonar ST unless you just need it for some reason. Which you shouldn't. You can output from your motherboard's optical spdiff as a passthrough to something else and have it rendered that way.

I would put stress on considerations including:

Hifiman HE-400
Ultrasone HFI 2400 & PRO 2900
Denon D2000 & D5000
Beyer DT990 & T90
AudioTechnica A900X
AKG Q701
Sony MA900
Sennheiser HD650
Fostex T50RP (modded; like Mr Speakers Mad Dogs)
Grados (if comfort is not an issue, any Grado will do here)

Source units to consider:

Soundcard Xonar STX
Soundcard HT Omega Claro Halo
Fiio E10 & Fiio E17
NFB 12.1, & 15.1
JDS Labs O2 & ODAC

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back