Upgrade from m50
Dec 28, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
DT770s in 80ohm. You won't be disappointed. I hated the M50s, and got these as a replacement. They work okay unamped, but they really benefit with a little added power. They are also supremely comfortable. It's like night and day compared to the M50s.
Maybe try some Grados if you don't need closed cans?
And yes, you likely will hear a difference. I thought the M50s lacked any kind of mids, and way overemphasized the highs to the point that it was almost painful to listen to. Best thing to do is go try them out. Any HiFi store or Guitar Center will let you try them out before you buy. I don't recommend buying online. It is such a pain to return stuff

After coming from a lifetime membership in the Grado fan club, getting to like or appreciate the sound of a Grado headphone can be a bit hard for listeners.  Either some will easily adapt to them and love them, or they will run away from them.  I've had too many pair to count, also modified plenty of them, too.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #17 of 29
DT770s in 80ohm. You won't be disappointed. I hated the M50s, and got these as a replacement. They work okay unamped, but they really benefit with a little added power. They are also supremely comfortable. It's like night and day compared to the M50s.
Maybe try some Grados if you don't need closed cans?
And yes, you likely will hear a difference. I thought the M50s lacked any kind of mids, and way overemphasized the highs to the point that it was almost painful to listen to. Best thing to do is go try them out. Any HiFi store or Guitar Center will let you try them out before you buy. I don't recommend buying online. It is such a pain to return stuff

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually had a pair of sr80i before my n50s but didn't like them for the genres I listen to (house trance hip hop) because of the lack of bass.

How's the bass on the dt770 compared to the m50s? That's pretty much the only feature I want to preserve from my m50s when buying new cans. I'm completely open to a variation in the mids and highs.

Also, what amp would you recommend for the dt770? Preferably portable.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #18 of 29
Also could you just very briefly comment on what higher ohms translates to in terms of sound? I know more resistance will require more power, but what does that mean for the sound?

After doing a quick search on amazon I see that the dt770 250ohm version is $40 cheaper than the 80ohm version and just wanted to find out why. Is the amp to drive a 250ohm pair of cans much more expensive than an amp to drive 80ohm cans?

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #19 of 29
The Audio Technica A900x is a very good option according to your tastes. It has a similar sound but does it all better and has an awful lot more bass than the M50. It also has a decent sound stage for a closed can. I used to love my M50s and was very happy with the upgrade to the DT990s. I have to mention that I've never had that "WOWOMG" reaction to any brand new pair of cans upon first listen. I've always had to let them break in and also let my mind get used to them.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #20 of 29
The Audio Technica A900x is a very good option according to your tastes. It has a similar sound but does it all better and has an awful lot more bass than the M50. It also has a decent sound stage for a closed can. I used to love my M50s and was very happy with the upgrade to the DT990s. I have to mention that I've never had that "WOWOMG" reaction to any brand new pair of cans upon first listen. I've always had to let them break in and also let my mind get used to them.

Thanks. Would you recommend the A900x over the dt990 like you got? What made you get the dt990 as opposed to the dt770? Also how's the bass on the dt990 compared to the m50 and just the overall sound in general?

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #21 of 29
I ended up returning my A900x after a few weeks because I liked the K550 more. Also liked my DT990s a little more as well. The thing that sucks is that my right driver went bad on the DT990 right after that. I would recommend the K550's for you but I'm not sure they would be bassy enough for you. That's not to say they don't have great bass but it's just different than you might be looking for.

As for the DT990, it made my M50s sound pretty low quality after awhile. There is a ton of bass that's controlled so well that it doesn't ruin the mids. Very good sound stage as well. The DT770 OTOH has a lot of bass but it's a little less controlled and it definitely can hurt the mids at times. Good luck.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #22 of 29
Yes you will hear the difference and of course it depend on your expectation that determines your "wow" factor. Their are a lot of talks about diminishing return the higher you go and I find that to be true, but I do think you have a lot of room left to play coming from the m50 before the difference become very little.

if you have still concern about that then jump to the next bracket and go for something like d2000/5000, senn 650, he400, es10, pro900, beyer dt990, akg 550 etc.

I'm not sure what you have at your location but if you can hit to like a bigger best buy in the magnolia area and guitar center you should be able to test out a very good selection of headphones maybe not the one I just listed, but it's younger brothers like the dt770, hifi 580, senn 598, etc.

To be honest I think you are thinking too much into this and I think the only way you will know is to go out and buy what you think fits your need. If you are still hesitant then maybe it's best for you to stick to the m50.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #23 of 29
In my experience, the bass was more controlled in the DT770s while still being bass heavy. I just felt it was a lot more balanced than the M50s. It's not an analytical can, but it is very enjoyable to listen to.

Basically OHM ratings translate into how easy the headphones are to drive. A lower ohm rating means the headphones are easier to drive. For example if apple earbuds have a 16ohm rating (just a guess), you don't need to turn the volume up too high on you iPod to hear them well. 80ohms is about the threshold for needing an amp. You will definitely have to turn the volume up on your source to hear them. You can get a good fiio E-11 portable amp on amazon for $50. Honestly though, you will be pretty okay with these unamped.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #24 of 29
In my experience, the bass was more controlled in the DT770s while still being bass heavy. I just felt it was a lot more balanced than the M50s. It's not an analytical can, but it is very enjoyable to listen to.
Basically OHM ratings translate into how easy the headphones are to drive. A lower ohm rating means the headphones are easier to drive. For example if apple earbuds have a 16ohm rating (just a guess), you don't need to turn the volume up too high on you iPod to hear them well. 80ohms is about the threshold for needing an amp. You will definitely have to turn the volume up on your source to hear them. You can get a good fiio E-11 portable amp on amazon for $50. Honestly though, you will be pretty okay with these unamped.

Considering the 250 ohm is $40 cheaper than the 80 ohm, should I just get that and invest the $40 in a better amp? Is there a huge differnece in the sound of the 250 vs 80?

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #26 of 29
I want to upgrade from my m50s and want a can that I will definitely be able to hear a difference. Of the following, which do you think will give me that experience and also give me a sound similar to the m50s with a strong bass? I listen to house music, trance, and hip hop mainly. Also I'm ok with getting an amp. I preferably wouldn't want to spend over $300 but I added on the denons because if they are really worth it I might consider them.

Beyerdynamic dt770
Denon d2000
Ultrasone pro750
Ultrasone hifi780
Ultrasone hifi580
ATH AD900

Out of those IMO the dt770 would not be worth it but the 880 would, I like the d2000 and have not heard hifi sadly. Other ideas the he400's are supposed to be great oh and I don't think the ad900 will have the impact you want. Great cans just bass nutral. What are you wanting different from the m50?

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #27 of 29
Thanks for the reply. Even if I splurged for a flagship model from some company, do you think I'd really notice the difference when compared to my m50s assuming I got the proper amp. That is, I would notice a clear improvement over my m50s as opposed to just a different sound signature? Or is it hard to notice the small differences that separate the m50 and higher models unless you're a true audiophile?

I had the same concern when I was in you position. I got the hd598 and yeah they are in a completely diff catagory, like m50 vs. skullcandy hesh

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #28 of 29
No
Also could you just very briefly comment on what higher ohms translates to in terms of sound? I know more resistance will require more power, but what does that mean for the sound?

After doing a quick search on amazon I see that the dt770 250ohm version is $40 cheaper than the 80ohm version and just wanted to find out why. Is the amp to drive a 250ohm pair of cans much more expensive than an amp to drive 80ohm cans?

Not really but the 250ohm would benifit the most from a desktop amp where the 80ohm could be driven by a portable of the same price. And the diff ohm's do change the sound between them but there are other forms for that I don't remember what all did what and never hot a side by side of the 32 and 80ohm dt770 and I haven't tried the 250ohm one.

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #29 of 29
I
Actually I've now found the 250 version for $70 cheaper, which can get me an E11. Opinions? Is the 80 ohm version worth the extra $70?
f your closing in on the dy770 I would save the 70 and go with the 250ohm one because both need an amp the e11 would power the 80ohm for 60 dollars or you could get another amp to power the 250phm for about 100. And I'm not really a fiio fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back