Upgrade from m50
Dec 25, 2012 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

skrat

New Head-Fier
I want to upgrade from my m50s and want a can that I will definitely be able to hear a difference. Of the following, which do you think will give me that experience and also give me a sound similar to the m50s with a strong bass? I listen to house music, trance, and hip hop mainly. Also I'm ok with getting an amp. I preferably wouldn't want to spend over $300 but I added on the denons because if they are really worth it I might consider them.

Beyerdynamic dt770
Denon d2000
Ultrasone pro750
Ultrasone hifi780
Ultrasone hifi580
ATH AD900

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 29
I can honestly recommend the HFI 580s. Amazing BASS. Much better than the one of the M50s. They are great, currently using them to listen to music and post this. I've had a lot of people recommend the DT770s but remember that there is three versions of it: 32 ohms, 80 ohms and 200 ohms (i think). 32 ohms doesn't need an amp if I recall and they are pricier but I could get a definite thumbs up for the 80 ohms version (amp is still not a requirement but this particular version could benefit from it).

Happy shopping!

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 29
The HFI-580's its a better headphone than the M50's in some aspects. Its a slight upgrade in my opinion. 

If you want more bass, do consider the DT770 pro 80. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 29
both ultrasones and beyers are neither an upgrade IMO, more of a sidegrade dispite their price.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 29
Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking for more bass actually but just don't want less. I'm not sure exactly what I want more of. I just want a better sound overall. Which cans would you recommend for that for a noticeable upgrade?

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 29
Out of those I say the d2000, although I don't know if it's worth the upgrade with the price they have been going for.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 29
If you are content with the M50s, then why waste the money to do an upgrade?  Trust me, the upgrade path is not always paved with golden bricks.  I've hit plenty of pot-holes and speed bumps on my personal journey.  I should just convince myself sometime that I'm content and leave it at that.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:
If you are content with the M50s, then why waste the money to do an upgrade?  Trust me, the upgrade path is not always paved with golden bricks.  I've hit plenty of pot-holes and speed bumps on my personal journey.  I should just convince myself sometime that I'm content and leave it at that.

QFT. "Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet"

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 29
I have the ATH-AD900s, not really sure why they're up there as even though they may have more bass than the AD700s, they still don't have much bass at all in comparison to the other headphones up there. Don't get me wrong, amazing to listen to music and play games with, most comfortable headphones I've ever had.

Dec 26, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 29
I wouldn't say I'm displeased with my m50s now, but I just feel like they don't sound as good to me as they did before because I've gotten use to them. So I wanted and upgrade so my music could sound as good to me again as it did when I first used my m50s after getting rid of my bose on ear headphones.

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #13 of 29
If you don't want to spend a lot maybe a side grade would be fine for you, like the dt770 or the hifi 580. Although they aren't consider a real upgrade you might enjoy the different sound signature they produce. Different headphone have different strength and you won't know until you try them out. Finding a place to try them out is also a good option.

I do understand what wje is talking about as I also came across a few headphones I didnt think was too hot.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 29
If you don't want to spend a lot maybe a side grade would be fine for you, like the dt770 or the hifi 580. Although they aren't consider a real upgrade you might enjoy the different sound signature they produce. Different headphone have different strength and you won't know until you try them out. Finding a place to try them out is also a good option.
I do understand what wje is talking about as I also came across a few headphones I didnt think was too hot.

Thanks for the reply. Even if I splurged for a flagship model from some company, do you think I'd really notice the difference when compared to my m50s assuming I got the proper amp. That is, I would notice a clear improvement over my m50s as opposed to just a different sound signature? Or is it hard to notice the small differences that separate the m50 and higher models unless you're a true audiophile?

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 29
DT770s in 80ohm. You won't be disappointed. I hated the M50s, and got these as a replacement. They work okay unamped, but they really benefit with a little added power. They are also supremely comfortable. It's like night and day compared to the M50s.

Maybe try some Grados if you don't need closed cans?

And yes, you likely will hear a difference. I thought the M50s lacked any kind of mids, and way overemphasized the highs to the point that it was almost painful to listen to. Best thing to do is go try them out. Any HiFi store or Guitar Center will let you try them out before you buy. I don't recommend buying online. It is such a pain to return stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back