Upgrade from Grado RS-1 to GS1000?
Oct 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
Magnepan MMG.
biggrin.gif

You're right, of course.  I had 3.6s at one time.  I prefer 'stat speakers.  I now have Innersound EROS MKIIIs which is a hybrid, the only one IME that works having owned 3 diff M-L models.  I've had Stax cans but prefer the warmth of the Grados.  I recently saw GS-1000 for $500 on the 'gon.  Now THAT'S tempting.

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #17 of 26
Is it difficult to try out the gs-1000? It is clearly a different headphone than the rs1. If you are looking for an upgraded rs1, then it may not be for you without auditioning first. However, if you are looking for a grado headphones that deviates somewhat from the rs1 sound then it may be worth a shot.

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #22 of 26
Thanks for the suggestion plus.

I heard the HD800 though Music Hall, Peachtree and Grado.  I thought I was that kind of can head but the more I listened to them, the more I felt left out. The soundstage was too diffuse and there were some frequency response funny business..  

So maybe T1 or DT880?

I run a Peachtree Audio Nova as a head/dac preamp.

The biggest problem is not being able to hear phones to compare.  Fortunately, I do have a Grado dealer that has enough to sample.  Wish there were more in south central Texas.

Thanks for your responses.

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion plus.

I heard the HD800 though Music Hall, Peachtree and Grado.  I thought I was that kind of can head but the more I listened to them, the more I felt left out. The soundstage was too diffuse and there were some frequency response funny business..  

So maybe T1 or DT880?

I run a Peachtree Audio Nova as a head/dac preamp.

The biggest problem is not being able to hear phones to compare.  Fortunately, I do have a Grado dealer that has enough to sample.  Wish there were more in south central Texas.

Thanks for your responses.

Why are you stating thanks for the response when I made the thread? Therefore, it was directed at me?

Anyway, Im going to try and get my hands or ears for that matter on some GS1000 to just take a listen too. I love my RS-1's but there is better out there I just dont know what I want to shoot for next. I've always been someone who has liked lots of mids and trebble so a can being to bright is never an issue for me. Of course, a nice bump, not too much though, is nice to have. Where does everyone get to hear all these top cans? I dont think the hifi stores in Michigan really care them to be able to be demoed, although I have only talked to one. I wish there was a meet close to me sometime soon...camjam can't come soon enough. 

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
... I dont think the hifi stores in Michigan really care them to be able to be demoed, although I have only talked to one. I wish there was a meet close to me sometime soon...camjam can't come soon enough. 

Call Overture Audio in Ann Arbor. They used to have the entire Grado line-up in the store where you can try them out. I don't know if this is true anymore.

Dec 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #25 of 26
I've had both.  You can't base a comparison on a canjam or a few minutes in a store.  To really tell the difference between these cans, it pays to have them day in and day out, and to try them amped, unamped, with different tracks and various stages of the burn-in process.

I liked the GS1000 better but went through a period of adjustment involving the jumbo pads.  With unamped sources, certain tracks came off as sibilant.  Amped, there was no comparison.  The GS1000 trounces the RS1 when it's fully amped.  Then again, if I compared an RS1 with an unamped HD800 or an unamped T1, I'd find the latter two undesirable.  

Without an amp, such as while going portable with an iPod, the GS1000 sounds terrific with bowls, though it's a bit like taking an RS1 and switching to flats.

Dec 6, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #26 of 26

[size=medium]
Quote:
I liked the GS1000 better but went through a period of adjustment involving the jumbo pads.  With unamped sources, certain tracks came off as sibilant.  Amped, there was no comparison.  The GS1000 trounces the RS1 when it's fully amped.  Then again, if I compared an RS1 with an unamped HD800 or an unamped T1, I'd find the latter two undesirable.  

Without an amp, such as while going portable with an iPod, the GS1000 sounds terrific with bowls, though it's a bit like taking an RS1 and switching to flats.

[/size]

Everything Bilavideo says here is right - my experience with the GS1000 was very similar. @Bilavideo: didn't you carve out your jumbo pads for the GS1000? I squished my GS1000 jumbo pads under a pile of books. 

Sometimes I wished I still had the GS1000, especially for classical.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back