Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Oct 5, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #647 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxxdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still waiting, not even an email from the shipping company.
triportsad.gif

I really hope I get a shipping notice soon.

The waiting is the hardest part!

When did you order?

I ordered on May 14.

And now, my HM-801 had stuck. (It cannot play any music from SD card, does not connect with PC by USB storage mode. But USB DAC is still available. LCD does not work.)

I did try to reset (there is a reset button beside USB DAC port) and put battery off for a while, but no change.

So I contacted Fang. He gave me a suggestion quickly and asked me to send my HM-801 back for replacement.

I appreciate Fang's quick and sincere response.

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #648 of 1,469
Quote:

Still waiting, not even an email from the shipping company.
triportsad.gif

I really hope I get a shipping notice soon.

The waiting is the hardest part!

When did you order?

RMAF ended yesterday. Give him and all vendors a chance to catch up.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #649 of 1,469
I finally got it.

Souds great for the 5 minutes that I got to listen to it. Had to help the kids do homework. It sucked when I had to do it 30 some odd years ago, and it sucks even more now.

But the five minutes I did get to listen were wonderful. It really sounds that great.

I will say that I do not have a whole lot of experience with Audiophile equipment, but I do enjoy what I have.

It can drive my Senn 555's and I can't wait to try out the Senn 600.

It got stuck on me and I had to take the battery out.

It seems that it likes just the songs put onto the sd card. I had them in files and it kept turning on and off over and over, then it also was updating forever another time.

Pulled the battery compartment off and took the battery out.

Loaded the card with music only (no folders) and it seems to be happy.

Now I got to get the 32gig card and load it full of music.

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #651 of 1,469
Seems to be a glitchy piece. I hope firmware fixes most problems.

No 32GB cards for now??!! How about 16GB?
Does it perform OK if you take one card out and stick in another? I know that is what alot of people are planning on doing.
And, although I know not to do that with the unit turned on (switch cards) are there any other precautions users should take?
Also, what is with the guy unable to use folders?

Oct 6, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #652 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to be a glitchy piece. I hope firmware fixes most problems.

No 32GB cards for now??!! How about 16GB?
Does it perform OK if you take one card out and stick in another? I know that is what alot of people are planning on doing.
And, although I know not to do that with the unit turned on (switch cards) are there any other precautions users should take?
Also, what is with the guy unable to use folders?

I have tested kingston 32G/class 4, which works fine.
I can switch cards on my sample units when it was turned on and do not have any problems.
I have no idea why he can not use folders. I have several samples for RMAF show. All of them do not have such problem. Maybe I will have to test all units at my place first, then send to you guys.

If we still can not solve SDHC card problem (there a so many different brand/class/models 32/16GB SDHC cards), we will test and recommend one SD card for Hifiman player customers, and will do combo order at our website.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Class...4797069&sr=8-1
51nTRI9G-5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Oct 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #654 of 1,469
The option of selling the 801 with a combo Kingston card would be great.

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #655 of 1,469
I had a couple of problems using folders, so I decided not to use them. Maybe part of the issue is that they have accurate rip files and other stuff like jpg's and all that kind of "stuff" that ends up in the file along with the music.

It seems "picky". It plays best if I put the .flac files, and only the flac files (have not tried mp3, for me why bother).

It sounds really great, but I really don't have any really high quality equipment to compare it to. Maybe I should not compare it to anything because ignorance will be bliss.

I love the sound, it sounds better than my Marantz 67se and it is much easier to carry around.

What a great sounding player.

I did note above that I took the battery out to reboot the HiFiMAN.

That battery is fing huge! It must eat a lot of volts/watts or whatever, but again It sounds great to me.

I am a very happy customer, even with the couple of bugs I have run into.

I do not plan to play 24 bits throught my HiFiMAN because I don't think I have 24bit ears. At my age, I think I have 16bit at best.

Anyway, it powers my Senn 555hd and I can't wait until I try it with the Senn 600hd's.

Now if the kids can get their homework done, I can to some real listening.

This is my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #657 of 1,469
Quote:

I had a couple of problems using folders, so I decided not to use them. Maybe part of the issue is that they have accurate rip files and other stuff like jpg's and all that kind of "stuff" that ends up in the file along with the music.

It seems "picky". It plays best if I put the .flac files, and only the flac files (have not tried mp3, for me why bother).

It sounds really great, but I really don't have any really high quality equipment to compare it to. Maybe I should not compare it to anything because ignorance will be bliss.

I love the sound, it sounds better than my Marantz 67se and it is much easier to carry around.

What a great sounding player.

I did note above that I took the battery out to reboot the HiFiMAN.

That battery is fing huge! It must eat a lot of volts/watts or whatever, but again It sounds great to me.

I am a very happy customer, even with the couple of bugs I have run into.

I do not plan to play 24 bits throught my HiFiMAN because I don't think I have 24bit ears. At my age, I think I have 16bit at best.

Anyway, it powers my Senn 555hd and I can't wait until I try it with the Senn 600hd's.

Now if the kids can get their homework done, I can to some real listening.

This is my 2 cents for what it's worth.

rxxdoc,

Would you mind put this post into the following thread as well?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/hi...thread-447836/

I foresee that more and more head-fiers will receive their 801s and have prepared the thread in advance hoping it will help other head-fiers.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #659 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverxu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A quick question: can HM801 read the embedded tags of flac with multiple songs properly, or do I need a cue file? Thanks to you all.

Hi

see this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f87/hi...thread-448109/

it seems that .cue sheets for flac file are not supported yet

I cannot help with whether tags in separate Flac files works. Hopefully, some of lucky owners can comment on that.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #660 of 1,469
In the beta unit I tried it did not understand tags in flac files produced by EAC but that was an older bios than what is in the shipping units so might well have changed and even if it has not yet I'm sure that it will be fixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back