Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
May 24, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #121 of 1,469
3D Drawing Generation Pics:

2009May232014321.jpg

2009May232015052.jpg

2009May232015383.jpg

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 24, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #124 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looks great.

-Ed

X2

May 24, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #125 of 1,469
Nankai -did you already discuss the operating system the unit will run? What will be handling the decoding of the various formats - a hardware solution or software?

The new images are very intriguing - nicely done.l

May 25, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #128 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fang, do you happen to know when jude is posting the second half of his review? ...(

more than 2X. I'm eagerly waiting for it as well.
happy_face1.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #130 of 1,469
Holy crap, how did i miss this? The specs are quite epic. I'll definitely have to consider one when I'm travelling a lot again.

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #131 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
7. How will UI be like?
UI will be similar to an ancient ipod.

Those gold buttons appear unique (to me), and not like the iPod control wheel. I'm curious as to how those work, and their usability.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #134 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also interesting that they're in an "X" configuration instead of the usual "+" layout.

Oh, interesting. I've never noticed it. I guess I'm too concern of its sonic ability
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #135 of 1,469
Hi, Fang. It was great great finally meeting you in person.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now back to the HiFiMan HM-801. I was surprised at how lightweight it was in person. I was expecting a pretty heavy brick, given the sheer amount of goodies crammed inside.
There was unfortunate shipping mishap that caused damage to both prototypes, but fortunately, different parts were broken in each one, so overall, there was two halfway functional HifiMan HM-801's.
I got to hear one with it's USB input as a DAC hooked up to my portable computer using Foobar.
I also used the built in player with FLAC files loaded up on an SDHC card. And, yes you can browse folders.
The overall UI will be familiar feeling to anyone used to Rockbox. Overall, the sound quality was not a let down.
I'll reserve final judgement until I get a chance to hear the final product, but it's off to a fantastic start.
It's up to quality of my Pico DAC I had there to compare to, if not even better in some regards.

The HM-801's hardware will be done towards the end of June, with the software possibly being finished then, or a bit later.
One thing Fang and I talked about was the possibility of having other Amp builders making their version for the modular Amp bay.
Imagine having a HeadAmp, Ray Samuels Audio, or other Amp built into the HiFiMan HM-801?
Now that would be THE ONE portable I would carry. Period!

You hear that Ray? Justin? Everyone?

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back