Upcoming Ultrasone edition 11 and pro 1480i
Nov 16, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #106 of 164
Yes, The ED11 is a very full headphone, despite being a open-back. It is a great headphone and I still have joy with it. It’s a fun headphone, but with a very high quality sound.

But I hear most of the time very loud so I use the Celestee these days more than the ED11.

My biggest "issue“ with the ED11 beside the leakage is the enormous Soundstage. It‘s not really perfect for Black-Metal :)
Really? I been loving the Edition 11 with black metal. But I do understand what you mean, the soundstage and depth can be to intense. Listen to Apage Satana by Rotting C. It's impressive 😈🤙

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #108 of 164
The edition 11 may be the least 'ultrasoney' ultrasone I've heard yet. It doesn't have exaggerated bass and treble, and sounds almost natural. I've enjoyed many Ultrasones in the past, the HFI780, 680, 580. PRO900, 750, 650, signature pro, studio. Save for the two signature phones none of them I would call even remotely natural, so the edition 11 is really something. The PRO1480i though is a big disappointment. Bought them they sound like hot garbage, gave them 3 weeks now they still don't sound good.

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #109 of 164
One thing I must add. The Edition 11 has some of the best texturing I've ever heard. Guitar strums are truly spine tingling good.
Yeah, Guitars sounds incredible. In 'Warriors of the World' by Manowar you hear the real beauty of the ED11. Since Apple Music had Lossless (Thanks Apple) the music sounds even more spectacular.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #110 of 164
Do any of you guys have a photo of the baffle board used on the edition 11? I’m curious since it is a s logic plus headphone with a circular cup, if the implementation of the s logic is like the pro series. I’m not sure if the pads just pop off but would love to see a pic of what they have going on with this one.

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #111 of 164
Do any of you guys have a photo of the baffle board used on the edition 11? I’m curious since it is a s logic plus headphone with a circular cup, if the implementation of the s logic is like the pro series. I’m not sure if the pads just pop off but would love to see a pic of what they have going on with this one.
I would take a photo, the only issue is to remove the earpad, I'd need some sort of adhesive to put back on them. The earpads are stuck on with adhesive tape or some sort. They are replaceable, but pads aren't cheap. What I can say though is, S-Logic has been hit or miss with a few Ultrasones. Some would sound blurry and blobby to me, some would sound nicely separated but imaging was a little confused. I don't know what they did with the Edition 11, but it's truly damn amazing. I mean that. It's the best S-Logic of any type Ultrasone has created. I always felt the rectangular cups didn't match S-Logic. And the thinner circular cups did slightly better, but didn't have enough room for the driver to breathe and let sound move. The design of the cup and S-Logic on the Edition 11 is a match made in heaven. It's truly perfect, truly truly perfect. The low end while big doesn't sound like a wall of sound. It actually is in the background and sounds like a subwoofer. Yes it lingers a bit, but I have never found it to interfere with the mids or treble and S-Logic makes the low end actually move around. WHAT??? Low end that you can feel go around you??? HOW??? The low mids are a little further in the mix, they are thick but no where near muddy, and they are very clear. If you love emotion and clarity, the mids on the Edition 11 are on point. High mids and low treble get a little shot of energy and this helps keep things energetic, crisp and very detailed. The Edition 11 isn't the most detailed headphone I have heard, but still, it's pretty impressive, especially for such a thick and emotional/musical tuning. So the high mids and low treble have energy, at times it can become a little, and I truly mean a little sizzly. But I felt over time, burn in tamed it down a fair amount, I never now encounter the sizzle and it's just so addictive to listen to. Agnes Obel, my oh my, it's mesmerising. The treble on the Edition 11 is extended, has energy and never fatiguing, I can listen to the Edition 11 all day long. Only reason it may be fatiguing is because I crank the volume a little louder due to loving what I am hearing... SO F$CKING GOOOOOD!!!!!. The imaging. 3 words. AMAZINGLY MIND BLOWING!!!. It may not be the most accurate, because it does some things that just make you get lost. And it feels like you are having a trip. BUT I LOVE IT!!!! It's the enoyment factor and the Edition 11 is one of the most enjoyable headphones I have encountered. Years and years of trying and listening, buying and selling. HD800/800S, Arya, Focal Clear, Audezes, ZMF, Denon, Beyerdynamics, Fostex and soo on. All these headphones have something special and they all are very very very good. Some excel with clarity and detail. Some have amazing mids. Some have insane low end. Some are engaging or relaxing. Some are built like tanks or are luxurios. After trying so many headphones though, I found alot are going for more or less the same target tuning wise. Clear, detailed, neutralish/harmen. Nothing wrong with that. But I need different. Something daring to do something. The Edition 11 surprisingly has a very good balance of lows, mids and treble. Slightly U shaped I'd say. But the presentation of the music is what gets you. You just forget. You forget you're listening to music. You forget everything. All your worries, your stresses. All the bs. It gives you what music is. A story, a journey. It makes you feel the music for what it truly is. Now that my friends. That's a headphone to keep. Yeah you can find better clarity, or more detail. Better mids or more low end. But a presentation like the Edition 11. I have yet to find it.

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #112 of 164
Wow, high praise, sounds like you found your endgame with the 11. I really want to hear a pair, well anyways if any future person reads this and wants to demo my Edition 8 Carbons for a bit while I demo the 11, that would be amazing. I just don't like the idea of spending like 1K on a can I have not heard. It's too bad that the headphone only has limited quantity and not easy to find!

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #113 of 164
Years and years of trying and listening, buying and selling. HD800/800S, Arya, Focal Clear, Audezes, ZMF, Denon, Beyerdynamics, Fostex and soo on. All these headphones have something special and they all are very very very good. Some excel with clarity and detail. Some have amazing mids. Some have insane low end. Some are engaging or relaxing. Some are built like tanks or are luxurios. After trying so many headphones though, I found alot are going for more or less the same target tuning wise. Clear, detailed, neutralish/harmen. Nothing wrong with that. But I need different. Something daring to do something.
That touches on something that I, and I'm sure many others, learned in this hobby. After going up and down the headphone ladder it becomes apparent that a technically better headphone isn't necessarily a better experience. I've thoroughly enjoyed music, TV, and games on my Ultrasone Signature DXP. Listening to the Arya, I can find about the same level of enjoyment, even though when I go back and listen to the DXP's they sound much worse in comparison. Better detail, stage, etc... doesn't necessarily lend itself to a better experience. Once you get up to a certain technical level, about mid-range nowadays, It's all about how much the headphones can suck you into the music and get you involved. For that reason the Edition 11's are superior to the Arya's, or any other headphones I have in enjoyment. They've got a sound to them that pulls you in, wows you, and has enough technical capability where I can enjoy the sound instead of nitpicking over something not sounding 'as it should'.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #114 of 164
That touches on something that I, and I'm sure many others, learned in this hobby. After going up and down the headphone ladder it becomes apparent that a technically better headphone isn't necessarily a better experience. I've thoroughly enjoyed music, TV, and games on my Ultrasone Signature DXP. Listening to the Arya, I can find about the same level of enjoyment, even though when I go back and listen to the DXP's they sound much worse in comparison. Better detail, stage, etc... doesn't necessarily lend itself to a better experience. Once you get up to a certain technical level, about mid-range nowadays, It's all about how much the headphones can suck you into the music and get you involved. For that reason the Edition 11's are superior to the Arya's, or any other headphones I have in enjoyment. They've got a sound to them that pulls you in, wows you, and has enough technical capability where I can enjoy the sound instead of nitpicking over something not sounding 'as it should'.
Absolutely agree. And what I love about the Edition 11 is that while it won't have micro detail/nuances like the Arya or HD800s, the detail in how it images, texturing of bass notes and guitar strums. That is what impresses me more, even more than the Arya and HD800s. You can feel it.

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #115 of 164
This has always been my philosophy when it comes to headphones. The enjoyment of the listening experience ranks above everything else for me. Very well put.

Dec 8, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #116 of 164
I now have an Edition 5 Unlimited Edition (with S-Logic EX) on hand. Still offer stands from before...

if anyone wants to swap for a week or two for demo, would be happy to swap 11 with my Edition 5!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #118 of 164
Since my Celestees left Driver said goodby for 4 days, I've used my Ultrasone more again. Since the Celestee arrived last August I didn’t hear that much music than before with the ED11. I had both now for enough time to compare them.

The Celestee is much more laid back in presentation and therefore almost boring. The Ultrasone is very energetic, despite being more controlled than the Celestee. How is that possible (German Engineering I think :beyersmile:).

The Celestees vocals are more forward and I personally like that more than just between the instruments. I like it when the singer scream in my face hahaha.

The Celestee has better and stronger Subbass (Closed-Back and with plenty of juice) but the ED11 has better upperbass and more Punch and has overall a more controlled bass.
The Mids are a draw. The Celestee has better vocals, the Ultrasone the best guitars that I've ever heard in my life.

The ED11 has more details, but for a closed-back is the Celestee pretty good and not much worse.

Soundstage is not way to compare. The Celestee has none and the Ultrasone to much for my taste (It's better with my FiiO Q1 Mark II).
I prefer a narrow soundstage more than a endless one. So both get no points here :)

The Dynamics are Focals biggest win. The ED11 is very good, but it's sure to say that no dynamic HP has better dynamics than a Focal.

in the End is the Ultrasone Edition 11 the better headphone but I like the signature from the Celestee a little bit more.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #119 of 164
Since my Celestees left Driver said goodby for 4 days, I've used my Ultrasone more again. Since the Celestee arrived last August I didn’t hear that much music than before with the ED11. I had both now for enough time to compare them.

The Celestee is much more laid back in presentation and therefore almost boring. The Ultrasone is very energetic, despite being more controlled than the Celestee. How is that possible (German Engineering I think :beyersmile:).

The Celestees vocals are more forward and I personally like that more than just between the instruments. I like it when the singer scream in my face hahaha.

The Celestee has better and stronger Subbass (Closed-Back and with plenty of juice) but the ED11 has better upperbass and more Punch and has overall a more controlled bass.
The Mids are a draw. The Celestee has better vocals, the Ultrasone the best guitars that I've ever heard in my life.

The ED11 has more details, but for a closed-back is the Celestee pretty good and not much worse.

Soundstage is not way to compare. The Celestee has none and the Ultrasone to much for my taste (It's better with my FiiO Q1 Mark II).
I prefer a narrow soundstage more than a endless one. So both get no points here :)

The Dynamics are Focals biggest win. The ED11 is very good, but it's sure to say that no dynamic HP has better dynamics than a Focal.

in the End is the Ultrasone Edition 11 the better headphone but I like the signature from the Celestee a little bit more.
Wow amazing comparison thanks. I’m shocked that the Edition 11 has more mid bass punch. Now I really want to hear these. I wish they made a closed back version. I really love my edition 15.

Mar 21, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #120 of 164

I agree. The Celestee is an amazing closed back. I have been trying to create an eq for the Edition 11 to make them even better. Try 3db low shelf at 80hz. It really makes the sub bass rumble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back