Upcoming Ultrasone edition 11 and pro 1480i
Jul 20, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #137 of 164
This looks like it has IEM style ear loops. Were you able to order without or did it just not come with them?

That cable does come with ear loops, but it's a very soft flexible rubber that is easily cut off. I used some cuticle scissors to make a small initial cut, then peeled the material back and trimmed it off. Took about 5 minutes, and once the ear loops are off the cable goes completely straight (it's not permanently bent or kinked).

Jul 20, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #139 of 164
Yes, the Edition 11's especially. Great headphones, now my favorite headphones by quite a bit.

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #142 of 164
Okey. It took me a while but there is some of my experiences with some headphones :)

I had a chance to listen to a lot headphones lately soooā€¦

U11 is a really good choice. There are a lot good headphones in its price range but U11 is pretty solid. Good bass, good technicalities. Soundstage is good. Not so wide and big but it is correct, I mean it seems natural, not exaggerated nor small and intimate. I has good instrument separation (not perfect) and their placement. It seems dense but in its price range is really good (in its price range). Remember I give my notes overall comparing them even with more expensive one (like U15, Arya, Heddphone One and lot more).

I think it is better than Aeon 1, Aeon 2, Hifimans XS. But there is still a lot cans which do something better and something worse than U11.

The truth is You need to listen and Audition Headphones with Your own ears. Everyone looks for something else and likes different things.

You need to know this is not a magic headphones that will beat something like Arya, Heddphone One or other cans which cost two times U11ā€¦ but like I said at the beginning it is solid and good choice.

They are really comfy and one thing is really important. It sounds great without EQ. They are fun and give You this opportunity to enjoy Your music. It is not analytical, maybe some other has better technicalities but thanks to its soundstage, separation and placement it does everything well and overall it is very natural and give You opportunity to just fall in music.

Give them a try if You can :)

PS: and it is not better than U15. U11 has better frequency response and does not need EQ but with EQ and in specific genres U15 is on another level. So if You need all rounder there is a big chance that U11 will be good choice :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #143 of 164
Looking for an edition eleven, if anyone is selling or thinking about selling let me know :)

If you decide to go new instead, Thomann is the place to go. I've noticed lately they are often cheaper than used.

You need to know this is not a magic headphones that will beat something like Arya, Heddphone One or other cans which cost two times U11ā€¦ but like I said at the beginning it is solid and good choice.

When I first got the Edition 11's I would have agreed with this. The Arya's seemed to have better technical abilities. Over time my opinion changed though.. not sure if it was different cables, burn in, or amp changes that did it. Over about 6 months my Edition 11's started to perform better than the Arya's in their sound stage, dynamics, bass, and overall enjoyment. The Arya's are still a small amount better in their detail, but it's close. I prefer the 11's over the Arya's, but I can see why someone would go the other way as well.

PS: and it is not better than U15. U11 has better frequency response and does not need EQ but with EQ and in specific genres U15 is on another level. So if You need all rounder there is a big chance that U11 will be good choice :wink:

Thank you for your impressions, both on the 11 and the 15's! I greatly appreciate it.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #144 of 164
If you decide to go new instead, Thomann is the place to go. I've noticed lately they are often cheaper than used.

When I first got the Edition 11's I would have agreed with this. The Arya's seemed to have better technical abilities. Over time my opinion changed though.. not sure if it was different cables, burn in, or amp changes that did it. Over about 6 months my Edition 11's started to perform better than the Arya's in their sound stage, dynamics, bass, and overall enjoyment. The Arya's are still a small amount better in their detail, but it's close. I prefer the 11's over the Arya's, but I can see why someone would go the other way as well.

Thank you for your impressions, both on the 11 and the 15's! I greatly appreciate it.
I agree about them performing better than the Arya. Not in detail, but with soundstaging and imaging. The driver on the U11 does require burn in. A heap ton, it's the only headphone where I actually started hearing improvement over time

Dec 15, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #145 of 164

You have to remember that we adjusted to the sound of particular headphones so maybe thatā€™s the key :) Good to know that You consider Your U11 better than Arya.

Btw Arya is not my favourite cans but they are technically good and lot of people consider them one of the best out there. I liked Heddphone One more but lack of comfort (hot spot on the top of my head) force me to sell them :frowning2:

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #146 of 164
Btw Arya is not my favourite cans but they are technically good and lot of people consider them one of the best out there. I liked Heddphone One more but lack of comfort (hot spot on the top of my head) force me to sell them :frowning2:

Agreed, I got the Arya's after having the Ananda's for a year or so. A lot of reviewers mentioned that they were a taste of the best-- not the absolute best headphone out there, but technical enough to show what a top of the line headphones sounds like. Initially I really liked them, but over time I've used them less and less due to their Airy/Ethereal sound. They have excellent technical capabilities but lack the emotional connection. That's where the 11's became my favorite initially, then over time the 11's seemed to improve technically to be just about as good as the Arya's.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have a favorite headphone at this point? Given that you've tried a lot of the higher end headphones I'm curious as to what you like the most from what you've tried.

Again, I appreciate your impressions on the Edition 11, especially compared to those flagship/higher reviewed headphones out there.

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #147 of 164
Agreed, I got the Arya's after having the Ananda's for a year or so. A lot of reviewers mentioned that they were a taste of the best-- not the absolute best headphone out there, but technical enough to show what a top of the line headphones sounds like. Initially I really liked them, but over time I've used them less and less due to their Airy/Ethereal sound. They have excellent technical capabilities but lack the emotional connection. That's where the 11's became my favorite initially, then over time the 11's seemed to improve technically to be just about as good as the Arya's.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have a favorite headphone at this point? Given that you've tried a lot of the higher end headphones I'm curious as to what you like the most from what you've tried.

Again, I appreciate your impressions on the Edition 11, especially compared to those flagship/higher reviewed headphones out there.
Of course I will :)

At this point my favourite Headphoones are Final Audio D8000 Pro. For me it is the best out thereā€¦ for now :p if You want I can describe why :)

Other high end headphones I really like is: DCA Expanse. I liked them almost as D8000 pro but few things made me choose Final Audio :)

Another is Audeze LCD5 but vocals are just a bit forward for me. I liked lcd-4z but it was just too heavy and my ears got hot after a time and it was a bit dark on the top but with EQ it was great.

I didnā€™t like Utopia for its soundstage presentation.

From mid-fi section. My favourite is Heddphone Oneā€¦ but the lack of comfort was too much for me. After 30-40 minutes I felt pain on top of my head. And I mean pain not just a simple discomfort. But sound wise they are really great. I think they can compete with more expensive headphones.

Ether 2 is fine choice but it has darker sound signature which is not for everyone. With EQ they are good. But not great. I think there are some more interesting choices :wink:

Oh and I really liked Phobos. Maybe some headphones has better technicalities but sound presentation is really interesting. It has really big soundstage. It is weird because they sound congested and little bit dense on some tracks but overal the soundstage regarding its dimension is on another level. It is as big as HD800s but not that exaggerated and ā€œfakeā€. They are heavy but there is almost no clamp force and thatā€™s why I consider them one of the most comfortable out there. The main issue they lack of subbass. You can seal the gap between pads and mounting ring but then it lose its soundstage pros.

After my previous You can guess sentence You can guess I feel that HD800s sound just fake with its soundstage. I also guess they are great for classic music and orchestra but I donā€™t listen to this genres so for me it was just exaggerated and just too big :)

Like I said before Arya is fine and has good overall performance but they are just ā€¦ boring? Nothing special for me. Sorry :frowning2:

I had opportunity to listen to D8000 (non pro version), TH909, U15, U11 and more and more.

One of the biggest disappointments was Meze Empyreanā€¦ one big no for me :frowning2:

I had opportunity to listen to the those headphones, mentioned above, in my own home in silent environments for at least 3 days, some of them 7-14 days. Some of them I previously owned. Had a chance to compare a lot of them 1v1. Some of them are good, some of them are great with specific genres but or with specific gear but most of them need EQ, one more and other need less EQ.

For example U15 is great but on specific tracks, with specific genres. In my own opinion, if You want to make them an all rounder it needs a lot of EQ to sound great :frowning2: so it is one of the downsideā€¦

I also had opportunity to listen to a lot of headphones on audio show but because of the noisy environment I donā€™t want to make any conclusion. I can only mention that Meze Elite, ZMF Atrium, T+A Solitare, Warwic Acoustic seems interesting but like I said it was on show where noise is a big problem and had only about a half out with them so I canā€™t say much.
Oh and had opportunity to listen to D8000 Pro Limited Edition and they look outstanding and just beautiful :)

Soā€¦ that would be all :)

Dec 16, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #148 of 164
That is a treasure trove of knowledge. Thank you!

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #149 of 164
Just received these ed11 yesterday, and I have tell you something these image very much like my Susvara absolutely nuts how good these sound! My secondary cans have been Aoelus but these image better than anything I've had until I bought Susvara, that includes Hd800 Hekv2 Ether2 etc absolutely insane these hidden gems. My first Ultrasone and very impressed!

Dec 20, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #150 of 164
Congrats! I hope you continue to enjoy them past the honeymoon phase. I sure have. I keep getting other headphones and thinking "Wow, these might be even better than the 11's!". Then I try the 11's again and think "Nope, never mind... 11's are more enjoyable.".

I'm hoping Ultrasone continues to use the 11 drivers in other models, or at least eventually creates an unlimited version of the 11. They must be close to their 1111 limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back