Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10!
Mar 20, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #1,441 of 1,751
  Hi guys, question.
does the X10 have a "partial repeat" function?
I'll try to better explain myself: it's a function like that used to be on older iRivers, that allow you, inside the same song, to set a "play start" and a "play end" and repeat continuously only that segment of that song. Useful for people studying music.

cheers:wink:

Julia

I have recently got mine, but the answer I think is no.
I already miss two other features I had in my Transcend M870.
First a variable fast forward and rewind. The longer you held the key the faster the respond. I not only store music but also radio plays. Moving through a 90 minute play to get you the point you won’t with a fixed forward/rewind speed is tedious. This is brought home by my second issue. On my old Transcend if you power down in the middle of a track, on power up there was a key press option to resume from the point of power down, great for long plays. The X10 powers up in pause at the start of the power down track.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #1,442 of 1,751
  I have recently got mine, but the answer I think is no.
I already miss two other features I had in my Transcend M870.
First a variable fast forward and rewind. The longer you held the key the faster the respond. I not only store music but also radio plays. Moving through a 90 minute play to get you the point you won’t with a fixed forward/rewind speed is tedious. This is brought home by my second issue. On my old Transcend if you power down in the middle of a track, on power up there was a key press option to resume from the point of power down, great for long plays. The X10 powers up in pause at the start of the power down track.

Not only intelligent resume, but the MP870 also had named bookmarks for long tracks, audiobooks and podcasts, as well as variable speed playback to shorten the time it would take to listen to, for example, recorded lectures, which the MP870 could also do, and all of these features were easy to access via a dedicated option button.

I know a lot of people focused on sound quality feel that adding such features may be a distraction for manufacturers but I disagree. It's no virtue to cripple players just because they sound better than average, and the technology exists to offer a player with not only outstanding sound quality but outstanding versatility as well. That a player from 6+ years ago can offer the software sophistication the MP870 did yet today's high-end manufactures struggle to get even the basics and claimed features working, and often fail, is somewhat of a shame. Yes, they sound better and support more formats, but otherwise they have gone backwards as far as the overall user experience and providing the user with all that the technology is capable of, and has been for a very long time.

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,443 of 1,751
It wasn’t the sound quality that attracted me to the X10, it was the 2*128MB storage. The promise of better sound quality for the small section of my collection that would benefit from it was to be a bonus. I had filled 2 off M870 with their 40MB each and was filling a third memory card. I fact of having to keep swapping memory cards pushed me towards a new player, hence the X10.
I am not an expert so there may have been a better choice out there. Opinions?  
As you say Riolist2 if as a manufacture you have achieved good sound quality, why stop there, why not also produce a player with outstanding versatility as well. After all that only a one of cost in a software engineers time to be spread over all the players you sell, it nothing to the hardware cost to each player to improve sound quality.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #1,444 of 1,751
  It wasn’t the sound quality that attracted me to the X10, it was the 2*128MB storage. The promise of better sound quality for the small section of my collection that would benefit from it was to be a bonus. I had filled 2 off M870 with their 40MB each and was filling a third memory card. I fact of having to keep swapping memory cards pushed me towards a new player, hence the X10.
As you say Riolist2 if as a manufacture you have achieved good sound quality, why stop there, why not also produce a player with outstanding versatility as well. After all that only a one of cost in a software engineers time to be spread over all the players you sell, it nothing to the hardware cost to each player to improve sound quality.

It's 2*200GB storage, not MB
gs1000.gif

Btw, the cheapest one I can find is 123 USD on LinkDelight with coupon "NP170314":
http://www.linkdelight.com/P0034852-XDUOO-X10-Hi-Fi-Loseless-Digital-Music-Player.html

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #1,445 of 1,751

Are you sure the MP870 couldn't accept a larger card? Many players state the maximum memory as being whatever the maximum size is available at the time of introduction, but many will accept larger cards as they become available as long they're (usually) formatted to fat32.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #1,446 of 1,751

I think the reason is because they lack both the skills and the motivation. The players sell well enough based on build quality and sound quality alone, so firmware, particularly because they don't have the capability in-house to add convenience features and the versatility that takes full advantage of the technology, takes a back seat. They aim instead for basic stability across a minimal function set, because that's all they have to do in order to sell players, and the real potential of this technology goes unused, ignored by manufacturers, and missed only by those users who know what is actually possible. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,447 of 1,751
  Are you sure the MP870 couldn't accept a larger card? Many players state the maximum memory as being whatever the maximum size is available at the time of introduction, but many will accept larger cards as they become available as long they're (usually) formatted to fat32.

Hi, Riolist2
I think you are onto something. I tested one of the two 126GB micro SD cards in my Transcend M870 and it was not recognized. However on checking how it was formatted it turned out to be exFAT. I used a formatting tool to reformat the card to FAT32 which appeared to go well. Copying a small number of tracks to it and installing it in my M870 appears to have worked. The tracks play and the M870 states the card is about 126GB. I am in the process of coping all my files to the MP870, which will take many hours. Once the coping is complete I will know if the M870 can handle my 87GB plus of files.
Thanks for your time and great suggestion.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #1,448 of 1,751
  Hi, Riolist2
I think you are onto something. I tested one of the two 126GB micro SD cards in my Transcend M870 and it was not recognized. However on checking how it was formatted it turned out to be exFAT. I used a formatting tool to reformat the card to FAT32 which appeared to go well. Copying a small number of tracks to it and installing it in my M870 appears to have worked. The tracks play and the M870 states the card is about 126GB. I am in the process of coping all my files to the MP870, which will take many hours. Once the coping is complete I will know if the M870 can handle my 87GB plus of files.
Thanks for your time and great suggestion.

Excellent, and there's no reason you can't amp the MP870 to bring the sound quality a little further along. One limitation you'll probably come up against is a library indexing file limit, but navigating by folder should avoid that limitation.

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #1,449 of 1,751
Finally I have copied all my files to a 126GB FAT32 formatted micro SD and inserted it into my M870.
Success, it seems to support my 87GB stored on the 126GB card and play the files I select. So far the performance seems to be the same as if it were a 32GB card.
I apologise for taking the thread somewhat off subject.
I started my posts with the question does the XDUOO X10 support imbedded cover art. I also asked the same question of XDUOO Service. This this the reply I just got back.
X10 doesn't support imbedded cover yet, but we are working on that. 

But you can put a jpg picture in the folder to let it display.

Best Regards,

Tony”

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #1,450 of 1,751
  Finally I have copied all my files to a 126GB FAT32 formatted micro SD and inserted it into my M870.
Success, it seems to support my 87GB stored on the 126GB card and play the files I select. So far the performance seems to be the same as if it were a 32GB card.
I apologise for taking the thread somewhat off subject.
I started my posts with the question does the XDUOO X10 support imbedded cover art. I also asked the same question of XDUOO Service. This this the reply I just got back.
X10 doesn't support imbedded cover yet, but we are working on that. 

But you can put a jpg picture in the folder to let it display.

Best Regards,

Tony”

Thanks for the update. Good to know, about both players.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #1,451 of 1,751
Hello,
I have just received my X10 :). Bought at Linkdelight with about 133$.

Build is perfect - nice design, metal case, even roll is nice for me. Display also very nice in my opinion.

There is no background hiss like in X2, so it is also very good.

But I have noticed that X10 is cutting about 0,5-1 second of beginning of song. Not for each song, but with many song I can hear that something is cut. Do you have same feelings with your X10 players? Firmware version 1.1 (originally in delivered player).

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #1,452 of 1,751
Yes, he 2 most irritating things about the X10 are the cutting out of the first bit of the song, and no gapless. The gapless can be solved by doing a cue sheet. Nothing as of yet for the click and cutting a portion of a song.

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #1,453 of 1,751
Yes, he 2 most irritating things about the X10 are the cutting out of the first bit of the song, and no gapless. The gapless can be solved by doing a cue sheet. Nothing as of yet for the click and cutting a portion of a song.

so sorry to hear of your issue. I will also be frustrated if x10 cutting first bit of songs. but fortunately I have not experienced that.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #1,454 of 1,751
  so sorry to hear of your issue. I will also be frustrated if x10 cutting first bit of songs. but fortunately I have not experienced that.

Which firmware version do you have on your X10? V1 or 1.1?

In many songs I do not hear cut, but in a few yes. I think that it depends which files we have. Different song = different gap in the beginning of song.

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #1,455 of 1,751
Some random thoughts.

I could be wrong but I believe the cut is there when playing songs with different bitrate for example 16/44 to 16/48 or 16/44 to 24/96. In this case, the dac may cut output to avoid weird noises. This problem is with all linux based recent players like Xduoo X3, Xduoo X10 and Aune m1s are the ones I read about. I only have x3 with me. It is probably not DAC issue as Fiio X5 iii with same AKM4490 has implemented gapless playback. It may not be OS related but may be limited by processor power or implementation.

Also with Xduoo Xd-05, there is a relay switch when you switch between music of different bitrate but I have not observed any cuts.I will try to check this and report.

To test, I would suggest users to segregate music based on bitrates and see if still cuts are present. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back