Upcoming Beyerdynamic Headphones - Custom One Tesla, Custom One Studio, T51p and amp A20
Jul 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #91 of 234
A flat sound and a flat curve on those graphs won't be the same thing. When music is mixed/mastered, it's through stereo speakers. Hopefully nowadays it's a calibrated set of speakers. When that sound interacts with your head and ears, it changes.

We do not listen to a diffuse field or a free field sound under these circumstances. It's essentially small room stereo acoustics. This blog has some headphone graphs compared to in room calibrated stereo graphs(audyssey and audyssey with dynamic volume). It's interesting to see what some of the more neutral graphed headphones are: http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/2013/07/headphone-frequency-response-repository.html

None of them would appear to be utterly neutral.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #96 of 234

COP white unboxing, backdrop is poor i know

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #97 of 234
Those look awesome! I'm unfortunately jealous, but I still love my old school COPs. I've customized my faceplates with regular old white duct tape. The 3rd position is my personal favorite in general, but you are right that some songs sound better with different bass responses. More headphones should really have this feature.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #98 of 234
FWIW, the Beyer amp thing is not what the naysayers proclaim by any means. They aren't in any way magical and perhaps not the most spacious, but the big criticism of the high output impedance is radically overblown. Pretty much any headphone plugged into those 100Ohm headphone amps will sound as a similar output volume. It will also react better with some headphones. The issue is not as simple as many say. You really have thread up on the science done on auditory perception. Irrelevant issues are often brought up as really important in forums and the science refutes it. Until there is a standard spec, there is no "perfect".

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #99 of 234
FWIW, the Beyer amp thing is not what the naysayers proclaim by any means. They aren't in any way magical and perhaps not the most spacious, but the big criticism of the high output impedance is radically overblown. Pretty much any headphone plugged into those 100Ohm headphone amps will sound as a similar output volume. It will also react better with some headphones. The issue is not as simple as many say. You really have thread up on the science done on auditory perception. Irrelevant issues are often brought up as really important in forums and the science refutes it. Until there is a standard spec, there is no "perfect".

I reckon that 100-120Ω would be more appropriate for tube rather than solid-state headphone amplifiers (perhaps I should search for a quad-6V6 headphone amp, ultralinear PO stages with 6kΩ-to-120Ω output transformers, to A/B against my Asus® XONAR's® stock Texas Instruments® TPA6120A2, once I've a suitable headset?) .  The IEC recommended 120Ω in 1996 and had Stereophile Magazine pounce on them, remember.

Aug 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #100 of 234
I'm not sure why it would be more appropriate for a tube (or for a SS amp). It just is what it is. Some headphones will work well with a high output impedance, others won't. You can see in the blog that the measured performance of the Sennheiser HD 598 actually measures closer to ideal with the 100Ohm in line. The concept of "fast bass" (if that's the general worry) goes against physics and perceptual physics and you'll still have "faster" bass than most any mixing or mastering studio even with the output impedance. I just wish they'd make a standard output impedance that every set of headphones was designed to work with. There may be a standard, but it's not an adhered to standard. 100 or 120 Ohm is actually a pretty good one for home use d/t the reasons I've mentioned above.

The only thing I'd ever look at from Stereophile is "what" they have measured. An opinion is an opinion. They have made many comments that are contrary to all known scientific evidence over the years. It's their right, but it's not necessarily correct. I stopped reading the magazine in the mid 90s, but I still like their measurements.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #101 of 234
very nice, the white looks quite classy I must say
biggrin.gif
, I'm interested in a pair of cop's myself, how is the comfort like on these? is it similar to the Sennhauser HD 558 in terms of cup size, depth and breathability?

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #102 of 234
I would love a set of 250 ohm COPs that I can use with my v200 amp!

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #103 of 234
So, will the new lighter Tesla drivers be positioned under the T1 and T5, T70 etc or will this now be the new flagship driver, introducing a new T1 , T5p variant etc?

Glad the Custom One Tesla is finally official. Been waiting for it ever since I returned my COP soon after release a year ago. I have no doubt the treble will finally be detailed like a Tesla always is, I just hope it has good sound stage too. I may even end up selling the T5p if Beyer pull this off. I reckon it will be priced similar to the T70:

Beyer COP :               £200 RRP
Beyer COP Studio:      £300 RRP
Beyer COP Tesla:        £400 RRP

That's what I'm thinking....cannot wait!

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #104 of 234
Quote:
So, will the new lighter Tesla drivers be positioned under the T1 and T5, T70 etc or will this now be the new flagship driver, introducing a new T1 , T5p variant etc?

Glad the Custom One Tesla is finally official. Been waiting for it ever since I returned my COP soon after release a year ago. I have no doubt the treble will finally be detailed like a Tesla always is, I just hope it has good sound stage too. I may even end up selling the T5p if Beyer pull this off. I reckon it will be priced similar to the T70:

Beyer COP :               £200 RRP
Beyer COP Studio:      £300 RRP
Beyer COP Tesla:        £400 RRP

That's what I'm thinking....cannot wait!

So if it's cheaper than the Tesla models...omg
I can't let this pair slip my fingers...

Btw, I heard that there will be crowd-sourcing during the development of the headphone (similar to what Val Kolton did with the M100). 
I think we might be able to request similar characteristics to the Alpha Dogs (closed headphone with open sound). If we could make that happen, we just might have a competitor. I've always wanted an Alpha Dog but the price is way out of my reach.

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #105 of 234
I'm hoping the COP Tesla to be the cross breed child of the T5p/T70 and the COP
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back