Upcoming Beyerdynamic Headphones - Custom One Tesla, Custom One Studio, T51p and amp A20
Jul 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #61 of 234
I seem to recall Tyll mentioning in the Tiesto review that he was not impressed with the adjustable bass on the COP. Then again, he's been wrong before (listen to how utterly amazing the T5p is and you'll know what I mean :cool:).

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #62 of 234
Quote:
I seem to recall Tyll mentioning in the Tiesto review that he was not impressed with the adjustable bass on the COP. Then again, he's been wrong before (listen to how utterly amazing the T5p is and you'll know what I mean
cool.gif
).

Well, I've heard about stellar reviews on the T5p, and even Jude says it's awesome. I haven't heard of this Tyll Herstens other than the fact that he is the admin of InnerFidelity. If you think he's wrong, does that mean the COP's adjustable bass is good if not great?
   I'll get this for Christmas if I could sell these Beats of mine. I've always wanted a monitoring headphone now, but having two pairs just isn't convenient. With adjustable bass on the COP, I could not only get a brighter signature for classical music, but I could also tune it for EDM titles. With a low impedance, I could also run it straight from my iPod.
   This...this is the headphone for me. I won't need to use an EQ to tune the sound; I could run it straight from any phone without any complaint in SQ. This has got to be it. Anyone agree? Nah.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #63 of 234
@thatBeatsguy: sorry, I don't think I was very clear there. I have the T5p and absolutely LOVE them, but Tyll had made some pretty negative comments about them on a different forum (not on the IF website). Of course, that guy has forgotten vastly more about headphones than I will ever possibly know, so I said that with tongue firmly in cheek.

As for the COP, give them a shot!! I happen to be a big fan of the Beyer sound and while I haven't heard those specifically, there are definitely some people around who really like them. Tyll made a passing comment about them (here) during his review of the AKG 267 Tiesto headphone, saying "After hearing the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros adjustable bass feature, I expected the AKG K267 Tiesto adjustable bass feature to be just another horrible sounding gimmick." This obviously leads to the conclusion that he was not a fan of the bass feature, but again, this doesn't mean someone else wouldn't like it. The only way to know would be to try them yourself, and if you don't have anywhere around to go and demo them, maybe you could pick up a pair used from the forums here or on eBay or something and minimize your loss if you do decide you'd like something else.

Personally, I'd give a 770 a go with EQ over the COP, particularly for monitoring. But that's not based on actually hearing the COP, just reviews and whatnots :wink:

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #64 of 234
Quote:
@thatBeatsguy: sorry, I don't think I was very clear there. I have the T5p and absolutely LOVE them, but Tyll had made some pretty negative comments about them on a different forum (not on the IF website). Of course, that guy has forgotten vastly more about headphones than I will ever possibly know, so I said that with tongue firmly in cheek.

As for the COP, give them a shot!! I happen to be a big fan of the Beyer sound and while I haven't heard those specifically, there are definitely some people around who really like them. Tyll made a passing comment about them (here) during his review of the AKG 267 Tiesto headphone, saying "After hearing the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros adjustable bass feature, I expected the AKG K267 Tiesto adjustable bass feature to be just another horrible sounding gimmick." This obviously leads to the conclusion that he was not a fan of the bass feature, but again, this doesn't mean someone else wouldn't like it. The only way to know would be to try them yourself, and if you don't have anywhere around to go and demo them, maybe you could pick up a pair used from the forums here or on eBay or something and minimize your loss if you do decide you'd like something else.

Personally, I'd give a 770 a go with EQ over the COP, particularly for monitoring. But that's not based on actually hearing the COP, just reviews and whatnots
wink.gif

Well, I didn't say that you didn't like the COP or anything. I just disapprove of Tyll's comments, that's all.

Now, to find an unwary Chinese Beats buyer and sell it for full price...

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #66 of 234
Quote:
It always comes down to this, good looking and customizable headphones are always expensive and don't usually sound good. Except the M-100 from Vmoda.

They don't sound good? Really?
   Well, the Inspiration doesn't sound good, so I guess you're right there.
   But if you're talking about the M-100, take note that the SQ is not customizable. Only the AKG K267 Tiesto is...and that's pretty expensive too. 
  Something tells me that you're also on the same page with some Tyll Herstens...I can't say for sure, but I'm seeing a definite similarity. Oh well, to each their own.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #67 of 234
I bought the COP about half a year ago and, while not being blown away by them, they are a very decent pair of headphones. 
Very easy to drive, although they definitely benefit from some amping to open up the sound. I ran them straight from my Cowon C2 and then with an E11 and they just sound good. Obviously, they are slightly bass-heavy and the soundstage is not the greatest (if you want a huge soundstage in a similar price category, get the ATH-AD700), but their overall sound is more than good enough for casual listening.
I would not recommend them for monitoring or even analytical listening! For that they are just too heavy on the bass, a little muddy in the mids and the highs just are not strong enough to cope with all that bass. This may sound very negative, but obviously I am trying to make my point clear here. If you like bass and listen to the corresponding music (personally, I am a big fan of James Blake's work) this headphones will make you happy. If you want to listen to classical music or want to use your headphones for listening sessions which open up great vistas of depths and detail with excessive clarity... just don't get the COP.

The bass setting does change the sound, not just the bass. The whole sound feels more open the further you slide it "down" (e.g. the bigger the holes get). Yet, please don't expect any wonders from the slider! 

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #68 of 234
The adjustable bass vents on the COP make a huge difference. The problem is that the headphone itself isn't all that great. It's not bad by any means, but the bass is rather loose and the enclosure lends to the dreaded Beyer treble spike. They float around $150 on sale at Amazon.com and I think they're decent for that price. I wouldn't pay over $200 for them though. 

This is what I did with mine... http://www.head-fi.org/t/656644/ortho-transplant-fostex-t50rp-drivers-into-a-beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro
... doesn't get much more "custom" than that 
size]

If someone wanted to throw money at it, you could also special order some Tesla drivers from Beyer and stick 'em right in. I'm pretty sure the baffles are all the same size. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #69 of 234
Quote:
I bought the COP about half a year ago and, while not being blown away by them, they are a very decent pair of headphones. 
Very easy to drive, although they definitely benefit from some amping to open up the sound. I ran them straight from my Cowon C2 and then with an E11 and they just sound good. Obviously, they are slightly bass-heavy and the soundstage is not the greatest (if you want a huge soundstage in a similar price category, get the ATH-AD700), but their overall sound is more than good enough for casual listening.
I would not recommend them for monitoring or even analytical listening! For that they are just too heavy on the bass, a little muddy in the mids and the highs just are not strong enough to cope with all that bass. This may sound very negative, but obviously I am trying to make my point clear here. If you like bass and listen to the corresponding music (personally, I am a big fan of James Blake's work) this headphones will make you happy. If you want to listen to classical music or want to use your headphones for listening sessions which open up great vistas of depths and detail with excessive clarity... just don't get the COP.

The bass setting does change the sound, not just the bass. The whole sound feels more open the further you slide it "down" (e.g. the bigger the holes get). Yet, please don't expect any wonders from the slider! 

How does it compare to a pair of Beats Pros then? I've been planning on replacing this pair and going with the COPs, but as it's not an all-rounder, I think I'll have to pass on this one now...

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #70 of 234
I tried the Beats Pro once, around 1 year ago. Didn't like their sound, way too bass-heavy for me. Yet, they are still the only Beats I could listen to for longer than 15 minutes. 
Personally, I would take the COP over the BP any day.
The bass was a bit more defined and textured on the BP, but overall I do prefer the sound of the COP. And they're half the price of the BP, as well. 

Did you just imply the BP are all-rounders? 

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #71 of 234
Quote:
I tried the Beats Pro once, around 1 year ago. Didn't like their sound, way too bass-heavy for me. Yet, they are still the only Beats I could listen to for longer than 15 minutes. 
Personally, I would take the COP over the BP any day.
The bass was a bit more defined and textured on the BP, but overall I do prefer the sound of the COP. And they're half the price of the BP, as well. 

Did you just imply the BP are all-rounders? 

Well, I assumed that they would be more suited for classical music and/or piano music once the bass ports are closed. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #72 of 234
Quote:
Well, I assumed that they would be more suited for classical music and/or piano music once the bass ports are closed. 

They certainly would be. perplekks45 was just point out that the COP isn't the best headphone out there for classical music & stuff that needs to be highly detailed and spacious. But the Beats Pro certainly are not either. Neither are all-arounders but I'd suspsect the COP would still do a lot better than the BP in that regard, if only because you can lower the amount of bass they're pumping out.

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #73 of 234
Quote:

They certainly would be. perplekks45 was just point out that the COP isn't the best headphone out there for classical music & stuff that needs to be highly detailed and spacious. But the Beats Pro certainly are not either. Neither are all-arounders but I'd suspsect the COP would still do a lot better than the BP in that regard, if only because you can lower the amount of bass they're pumping out.

Ahh, I see what you mean. So basically, they still can do classical music, though not as well as other pairs. I think I will want to buy these, or maybe the Custom One Tesla as people say Beyer's Tesla drivers sound really, really good. Of course, I can't say for certain as I haven't listened to a pair of Beyers before...
   I heard that these cans have a big soundstage. Is it just relatively speaking? I read a modding thread on these that said that there was some space in the cups left over after the drivers came in. i wonder if this contibutes to the soundstage?

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #74 of 234
The COP actually has great bass. Not sure what Tyll was hearing. That said, they do seam to have some issues on some measurement rigs with lumpy bass so it's likely that hey do on some heads as well. There's some measurement on the web of the COP with a German Maestro pad applied and the response looks a lot like Focal's Spirit One. Should be excellent bass! The German Maestro pad may help it seal....

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #75 of 234
When Tyll initially tried and measured the COP he said he was quite impressed with the adjustable bass feature:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2012-beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro-bass-port-adjustable-headphones

Supposedly later on when he reviewed the Tiesto he said something negative about the COP's adjustable bass but I can't find that now. If anyone has a link to that it would be appreciated.

IIRC the claim was that he said something negative about the COP's adjustable bass feature, not the overall quality of the COP's bass. This wouldn't be the first time something Tyll has said has been vaguely passed around these forums like a game of telephone eventually losing all resemblance of what he actually said or what he really meant. If you want to know how he feels about a particular headphone I recommend you read his words for yourself on innerfidelity.com where there's adequate context and he's not misquoted. He's quite involved in the comments section of his articles in case you have any questions for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back