Upcoming Beyerdynamic Headphones - Custom One Tesla, Custom One Studio, T51p and amp A20
Mar 23, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #226 of 234
Did anyone here tried COP with velour pads?

I got COS a couple of days ago and I love them (with my WA7), the only thing I miss is midbass. It's probably too much to ask from 45mm drivers, but I'm still interested if COP will do a better job in this area, especially with velour pads, which I strongly prefer.

I don't need an overwhelming midbass (as in, say, Sony Z7s), but a bit more colored COS would be great.

Unfortunately I can't find a demo COP anywhere to test them myself.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #227 of 234
I recently bought the Beyerdynamic Custom Studio headphones, and I must say they're REALLY GOOD. This was me moving up from the Sennheiser Momentum, which are great, but still only entry level for audiophile headphones. I absolutely love the soundstage, richness in detail, and clarity with these new cans. The bass is defined - and of course, adjustable - but I really do love how the vocals stand out. Try playing The Beatles' Hey Jude off a CD or flac with an appropriate amp, and it's heavenly!

I was actually comparing these at dedicated headphone store in Toronto with various others, including Grado RS1e, Grado SR225e, HiFiMAN HE-400i, Sennheiser Momentum....

The Grado SR225e was the most clear and vibrant out of all of these, but lacked the sound stage I was looking for, and bass was a little too weak on them as well. I also couldn't afford headphones that were $700 PLUS tax.

Ultimately it became a showdown between the HE-400i and the Custom Studio, and after about 45 minutes of comparison and song testing, I found the Custom Studio to be my choice based on overall sound quality and wearing comfort. The HE-400i had a tad better soundstage, but the CS still had better, more vibrant sound without being coloured, and details stood out to me more. Bob Marley's guitar riffs had texture I couldn't get from the HE-400i. The sound of the HE-400i sounded somewhat dull in comparison - a little too mellow for my tastes. Custom Studio sounded powerful, balance, yet totally natural. Wow.

All in all, I love my Custom Studio cans; the output they produce is beautiful without impacting my wallet so brutally. I was still able to afford a DAC amp for my PC and a portable amp as well. In my (limited) experience, Beyerdynamic create gold within the $300 range for headphones.

Highly recommended.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #228 of 234
Congratulation @redeyeguy !
Yes, I too think the Custom Studios are really good, especially at that price point.

@betteridea If you already have the Custom Studio you might want to try the COP pads on them... I think at least a major part of the difference is due to the velour vs. pleather pads. And it might be easier to order a set of the pleather pads than find a COP to try out. In case you're living near Vienna I'd be glad to help out though.

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #229 of 234
@plakat Thank you for the offer, but I am too far from Vienna! Besides, I prefer velour pads, not pleather, and my intention is to try COP with velour, not COS with pleather. I found a demo COP in Toronto shop and will try them in a few days.

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #230 of 234
  @plakat Thank you for the offer, but I am too far from Vienna! Besides, I prefer velour pads, not pleather, and my intention is to try COP with velour, not COS with pleather. I found a demo COP in Toronto shop and will try them in a few days.

Thats understandable as I prefer Velour myself as well...
Let us know about your findings as soon as you tried them out!

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #232 of 234
I still didn't get a chance to compare COS and COP, but this month with COS has been amazing :)

It seems that people don't take Custom Studios seriously because Custom One Pros are so ostentatious, but I'm not even sure if they share the same drivers. I was told that COS are way ahead from COP.

Does the Custom Studio have the Beyer peak? Is it bright? 

I guess it depends on the source/DAC and music styles. I never considered Beyers to be overly bright until I got to these forums!

To my ears T1 sound quite balanced from WA7, no harsh peaks. COS are surely less detailed with both highs and lows recessed.

On a side note,
I wonder if anyone had a chance to compare COS, T5 and T70? How different are they in terms of sound signature? Plakat said earlier that T5p are much colder than COS, would anyone confirm that? How about T70?

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #234 of 234
Hey guys.... Need a little help here....
I already have a pair of m50x anda a pair of dt770 pro 80s.... I lovr them both but now i have the cance of getting a pair of custom obe pro studio for 70 euros....
Do you guys think its worth it? My favs so far are still the hd25s and the momentums in tetms of sound quality ever....

Had anyone compared the nee pro studios to any of these 4 headphones i mentioned?

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back