Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #3,121 of 3,931

Quote:
I'm confused, if they have the 3d scan of the impressions, why did they need you to resend them
smily_headphones1.gif
?
PS can't wait for my SM3x8/Mage/3w3d remade in the new universal molds to be back (UMLab said end of the month).

Hope it turns out right for you this time
wink_face.gif

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #3,122 of 3,931
Well,

Having had a good moan about UM and Ampcity over the last few weeks I've been able to try out the flawed product before it gets sent back for a refit and upgrade. The fit and sound of the SE530s is brilliant, and if it was what I'd ordered I'd be happy. For those interested in an SE530 reshell, do it! The excellent sound of the Shures are retained and with the superior isolation I've been able to appreciate them even further. Just be prepare to wait as most of the posts recently have said.

I was concerned that the fit on the right ear was a bit loose but this isn't the case, more that the left is totally spot on and seems to have a little lip which latches onto part of my ear to hold it in place even better which the right one doesn't. The right still fits great though and offers brilliant isolation, just not quite as good as the left but not noticeable when listening to music even on a low volume. Think I'm just very picky...

Gonna miss these when I send them back on Monday, but looking forward to getting what I ordered. Ampcity were very understanding and apologetic and have assured me that the wait won't be as long this time around. Might even try a different colour scheme as I'm not that happy with my first choice. Every cloud, and all that...

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #3,123 of 3,931
Have you notice,is there connection between refitting and longer manufacturing times? I mean those molds srink over time, can this be reason increaced refit volumes or is this cause they just sell more iems and these only pop up?

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #3,124 of 3,931

Quote:
Well,

Having had a good moan about UM and Ampcity over the last few weeks I've been able to try out the flawed product before it gets sent back for a refit and upgrade. The fit and sound of the SE530s is brilliant, and if it was what I'd ordered I'd be happy. For those interested in an SE530 reshell, do it! The excellent sound of the Shures are retained and with the superior isolation I've been able to appreciate them even further. Just be prepare to wait as most of the posts recently have said.

I was concerned that the fit on the right ear was a bit loose but this isn't the case, more that the left is totally spot on and seems to have a little lip which latches onto part of my ear to hold it in place even better which the right one doesn't. The right still fits great though and offers brilliant isolation, just not quite as good as the left but not noticeable when listening to music even on a low volume. Think I'm just very picky...

Gonna miss these when I send them back on Monday, but looking forward to getting what I ordered. Ampcity were very understanding and apologetic and have assured me that the wait won't be as long this time around. Might even try a different colour scheme as I'm not that happy with my first choice. Every cloud, and all that...

I can vouch for that. I found with the SE530 reshell is that better fit = better and more fuller sound.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #3,127 of 3,931

Quote:
Hi all
Does getting your UM customs re-shelled void the warranty? Or if I bought some preowned with some warranty left, could UM re-shell them for my ears & the warranty keeps on?

No, the warranty will definitely be voided.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #3,129 of 3,931
my TF10x6 had some fit issue... but it was not in the canal. so I figured just use some sand paper to make it fit... well... it worked... even though it took me like 2 weeks to get it right and left some scratch on the IEM (too lazy to buff it out..) big time saver and money saver...

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #3,130 of 3,931
That's basically the same thing an audiologist would do anyways.  Nice work, I'd be afraid to do that lol.
Quote:
my TF10x6 had some fit issue... but it was not in the canal. so I figured just use some sand paper to make it fit... well... it worked... even though it took me like 2 weeks to get it right and left some scratch on the IEM (too lazy to buff it out..) big time saver and money saver...

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3,131 of 3,931

Quote:
That's basically the same thing an audiologist would do anyways.  Nice work, I'd be afraid to do that lol.

yeah... had to be extra careful though... didn't want to sand too much, my concern was that I would severely weaken the shell and make them very easy to break, since they are hollow. but so far they has been fine. I guess as long as I don't abuse them they will last as long as any other arcylic shell..

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #3,132 of 3,931

Quote:
Hi all
Does getting your UM customs re-shelled void the warranty? Or if I bought some preowned with some warranty left, could UM re-shell them for my ears & the warranty keeps on?

No, the warranty will definitely be voided.

Objection! I have contacted Stephen from custom-iem.com and asked about whether the warranty will be voided or not if we reshell UM customs from second hands. He has told me that the remaining warranty will be remained. So no worries about that.

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #3,133 of 3,931

Quote:

yeah... had to be extra careful though... didn't want to sand too much, my concern was that I would severely weaken the shell and make them very easy to break, since they are hollow. but so far they has been fine. I guess as long as I don't abuse them they will last as long as any other arcylic shell..

It very much depends on how long the acrylic casts were exposed in the UV chamber - it seems my UMs weren't cured for long enough (I am assured that this was an isolated incident, applying only to a particular batch, some time ago), and I ended up with shells that were much too thin (in fairness, UM are rectifying this for me, F.O.C.), but if cured properly, your shells should be at least a couple of mm thick. Interestingly, FS seem to make their MG6Pro shells noticeably thick, and this may be because they want them to withstand plenty of stage-use/abuse.

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #3,134 of 3,931

Quote:
Objection! I have contacted Stephen from custom-iem.com and asked about whether the warranty will be voided or not if we reshell UM customs from second hands. He has told me that the remaining warranty will be remained. So no worries about that.

Oh right cheers, I'll send him a buzz regards my specific case. I'm leaning towards the long term pro of having the full warranty..hmm.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #3,135 of 3,931

thanks for bringing that up. I guess it's fair enough... (sucks if the IEM dies, but if UM have first reshelled it/driver upgraded it 2-3 years ago, it's not exactly up to them if the drivers degraded or failed over their useful life (which I'd hope is about 4-5 years))...or is it really fair enough, in a sense 'what if UM made a defect when reshelling it'?

The question is then, how much do they charge for sending IEMs in for service (parts aside)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back