Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #2,266 of 3,931
Joe, they look perfect. That colour really is quite special.

In my experience most new sounding IEM's require some syncronizing with the brain as the sound initially will be different. You keep listening and hopefully you'll grow to love them. I was the same with my Westone 3 + 3 but to my ears now they are perfection....

Jan 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #2,267 of 3,931

Quote:
Joe, they look perfect. That colour really is quite special.

In my experience most new sounding IEM's require some syncronizing with the brain as the sound initially will be different. You keep listening and hopefully you'll grow to love them. I was the same with my Westone 3 + 3 but to my ears now they are perfection....

Thanks, yea the color (on the main body) is exactly what i was hoping it woud be. I am getting more used to the sound now, and also finding as most due that poor source fles are much esier to pick out.

I am actually a bit aprehensive now about popping my UM3X's back in, afraid i will be dissapointed.

I am very interested in your Westone 3+3, did you write up a reveiw or comparison?

I was going to send My UM3X's in ( quite similar to the 3 ) for a reshell & possibly an upgrade. If I do upgrade, I was thinking of trying to do a ES5 clone, but your +3 option sounds interesting.

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #2,268 of 3,931
I have 2 pairs of UE TF10....

If anyone tried or know if it is possible to combine 2 set into one in the following 2 configuations?

1. 4 bass driver ( TF10) + 2 mid (UM) + 2 high ( UM) (3 way config)
2 4 bass driver (TF10) + 2 mid (UM) + 2 high + 2 super high (UM) (4 way config)

Maybe can reuse the TF10 (mid-high) driver for a pair of highs as well...

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #2,269 of 3,931
Maybe can reuse the TF10 (mid-high) driver for a pair of mids

That way i only need to get 2 new driver per side for a 3 way or
4 new driver per side for a 4 way....

then you get 10 drivers per side...lol

Could be interesting....

I just hope UM can do it...

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2,270 of 3,931
a way crossover ,now that would be something ! , but remember More drivers never mean better sound ! THe quality of the drivers also Matters a lot ! i suggest you get a Miracle if you want better sound ! Sell one of your tf10 

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #2,271 of 3,931

Quote:
a way crossover ,now that would be something ! , but remember More drivers never mean better sound ! THe quality of the drivers also Matters a lot ! i suggest you get a Miracle if you want better sound ! Sell one of your tf10 

I read somewhere that balanced armatures are under trademark of some company so all other companies purchase the armatures from them

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #2,272 of 3,931
Well...you see...

If i can reuse the all the drivers on the TF10 and add 4 more drivers on each ear... let say 2 highs and 2 super high...
And pay let say take the "4 Drivers Custom IEM Re-shelling & Upgrades to 8 Drivers" pack for $679.

I would get a 10 driver per ear set up...

Yes i agree that more doesn't mean better... but assuming all things being equal using more drive means that each driver will work half as hard so therefore be able to provide a bit more control and detail.

TF10 is known to have decent bass..and doubling it that should make is even better....(I am a basshead btw..lol) .
And then using the 2 mid -high drivers just for mid will also have a similar affect (I personally think the treble on the TF10 is quite decent.).
Then adding 2 high and 2 super high should extend the frequency all the way up till your ears can't hear..

So for under $1000 you get a 4 way 10 driver setup. (Fingers crosses it will sound close to the JH 16pro).

All that been said... this is just a concept.. or maybe someone has done it before and failed badly..lol

If UM is willing to do it i am willing to spend $800 and give it a shoot...This could be interesting either way... succeed or fail.

BTW i will be demoing the UM Miracle this week...but based on reviews that i have read it is a bit light on bass...

I have heard the JH 13pro and found the bass just OK. haven't heard the JH 16pro yet but that would be a sound signature i would love to hear.

So ya if anyone interest in finding out if this 10driver concept will work or not or have tried it and failed please let me know...

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #2,273 of 3,931

Quote:
Well...you see...

If i can reuse the all the drivers on the TF10 and add 4 more drivers on each ear... let say 2 highs and 2 super high...
And pay let say take the "4 Drivers Custom IEM Re-shelling & Upgrades to 8 Drivers" pack for $679.

I would get a 10 driver per ear set up...

Yes i agree that more doesn't mean better... but assuming all things being equal using more drive means that each driver will work half as hard so therefore be able to provide a bit more control and detail.

TF10 is known to have decent bass..and doubling it that should make is even better....(I am a basshead btw..lol) .
And then using the 2 mid -high drivers just for mid will also have a similar affect (I personally think the treble on the TF10 is quite decent.).
Then adding 2 high and 2 super high should extend the frequency all the way up till your ears can't hear..

So for under $1000 you get a 4 way 10 driver setup. (Fingers crosses it will sound close to the JH 16pro).

All that been said... this is just a concept.. or maybe someone has done it before and failed badly..lol

If UM is willing to do it i am willing to spend $800 and give it a shoot...This could be interesting either way... succeed or fail.

BTW i will be demoing the UM Miracle this week...but based on reviews that i have read it is a bit light on bass...

I have heard the JH 13pro and found the bass just OK. haven't heard the JH 16pro yet but that would be a sound signature i would love to hear.

So ya if anyone interest in finding out if this 10driver concept will work or not or have tried it and failed please let me know...

UM told me they could make my westone 3's into westone 8's, i think that's the max, least that's what they quoted me

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #2,274 of 3,931

Quote:

Good luck fitting them into earpiece. Unless you had a giant ears. And FYI I believe it won't probably sound as good as you imagine. Agree that drivers works better if you crossover them. HOWEVER it doesn't mean that you player has less work to do. Contrary you player will probably won't be able to drive them properly since 10 drivers require a lot of power. Unless you drive them from a good non portable headamp.
I am not trying to stop you from geting them done, but to reconsider your project. IMHO you won't get a high-end product and there's possibility that your 10-driver-IEMs won't as good as you expected.

Quote:
I read somewhere that balanced armatures are under trademark of some company so all other companies purchase the armatures from them

There're basically more than three or four balanced armatrue manufacturers. The most important for Audio implementation are: Knowles Acoustic, Sonion, Starmicronics. We could also add Yashima Electronics - which produce moving coil armatures (grado GR8, GR10, Ortofon e-Q5, Q7)

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2,275 of 3,931

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck fitting them into earpiece. Unless you had a giant ears. And FYI I believe it won't probably sound as good as you imagine. Agree that drivers works better if you crossover them. HOWEVER it doesn't mean that you player has less work to do. Contrary you player will probably won't be able to drive them properly since 10 drivers require a lot of power. Unless you drive them from a good non portable headamp.
I am not trying to stop you from geting them done, but to reconsider your project. IMHO you won't get a high-end product and there's possibility that you 10-driver-IEMs won't as good as you expected.

Quote:

There're basicaly more than three or four balanced armatrue manufacturers. The most important for Audio implementation are: Knowles Acoustic, Sonion, Starmicronics. We could also add Yashima Electronics - which produce moving coil armatures (grado GR8, GR10, Ortofon e-Q5, Q7)

knowles calls BA's "subminiature speakers" interesting, anywho, agreed, as there are more armatures, the workload for the player does increase (apparently the jh16's were the hardest phones to drive of the entire line up of phones) 

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #2,276 of 3,931
i just got a email back from UM and they said it cannot be done...
So there you go...

I believe to make it sound good a lot of tuning needs to be done....but we never know maybe some company will have a proper 10 driver Custom in the near future.

But thanks for the response anyway...

I have decided to get the JH 16pro anyway.....safest bet...lol

I will definitely do a review and share with all of you when i get it...

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #2,277 of 3,931
Quote:
i just got a email back from UM and they said it cannot be done...
So there you go...

I believe to make it sound good a lot of tuning needs to be done....but we never know maybe some company will have a proper 10 driver Custom in the near future.

heh. I was hoping that it could be done, but from the looks of it, the 8 driver sets look a little crammed and jamming 2 additional low drivers would probably decrease the performance of the monitor as a whole. I would have loved to buy a 10 driver set!

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2,278 of 3,931
Ok, I have put about 20 hours or so on my TF 18's, even did a little comparison to a couple other of my favorites, the UM3X's and M50's.

what can i say, and I'm no audiophile, nor am i as good with the jargon, these things hands down out class anything else i own.

My previous favorites, the Westones, now sound aneimic compared to these. They still have that nice balanced sound, but it is literally like going from an old CRD television with a DVD player  to a new high end HD 3D LED playing a blue ray. There is just so much more that comes through. The mids are rich (and that is an understatement), the lows go lower and are much more textured ( think i already said that, but its worth repeating), stereo separation is much better and sound stage is unreal for something thats' sound is eminating less that 1/4 inch from my eardrums. Highs seem to be just right, no simblance, not overbearing or muted, just about right.

If there was an area that i thought could be a tad more present, it would be the very upper spectrum of the highs. With the exellent EQ on my sony X or rock box'ed clip, i can add a tad there and seems a more lively ( although subtle) presentation. This is most likelly the small void that the 8 driver upgrade fills. I still dont think i made the wrong choice though, as the eta 2 super high drivers all but doudled the cost of the upgrade, pushing the cost/shipping costs just shy of the mirricle or westone flagship range.

listening to them now through a PIMETA V2 amp that i just completed, using fairly high end components in the amp, and it is just amazing. Not that these need an amp, the other nice part about these is that they sound very, very good straight from the headphone out of any of my players , the sony, clip, or Iphone4, the latter being the one i use the most.

These beat the M50's in just about every way possible, except possibly aural impact on bassy tracks and high volume tracks where the large M50 driver actually adds some outer ear virations to the mix, but thi is a given, and is less a "sound" thing than another sensory input, SQ wise the TF18's are better in the low registers.

Anyone out there who is on the fence about getting the 6 driver upgrade to a pair of TF10's, just do it. As far as i can tell, there is nothing of my old TF10's left, these are wholy a different and much better animal than the blue plastic things i sent to UM. As for the 8 driver upgrade, if you can get a good deal on shipping (witch i did not, Fedex charged me $100.00!) if you can afford it i say it is probly a small step up. But If i recall, it is over $700 for that option, and with shipping plus cables you could probly just order a set of miricles or other ~$1000 IEM. don't know if they would be any better or not, but if i recall correctly, MaoDi sold his TF18's after he had a st of mirricles made ( correct me if im wrong here MaoDi...)

Now I have to figure out what to do with my UM3X's. somehow i think a simple remold will just not do. but unless it has changed, adding 3 or 5 drivers to the westones is fairly expencive........ hmmmm what to do......what to do

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #2,280 of 3,931
Anyone have any experiences getting remolds/impressions in China and sending it there locally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back