Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #1,561 of 3,931
My cable has been plugged in the correct way since the second day so no difference with the cable. I will post more impressions in about a months time when my exams end. Will not do them justice if I rate them now! I am also intending to head down to jaben then to try out a few amps. And maybe their universal demo jh13 set. Does anyone know if they have a set of jh16 demos? But for now my TF18s are used to block out the world and background listening while i study...

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #1,562 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, you own the universal TF10s and custom TF10s?

nope only the universal TF10 with the enyo cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #1,563 of 3,931
Went a week ago, they don't even have the JH13 universals anymore, it's loaned out to Jaben Malaysia, let alone the JH16 universals. But the JH11 universals blew my mind, so you could do a comparison with that to start off with.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #1,564 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by teren41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Went a week ago, they don't even have the JH13 universals anymore, it's loaned out to Jaben Malaysia, let alone the JH16 universals. But the JH11 universals blew my mind, so you could do a comparison with that to start off with.

The 13 demo is back, but the 16 demo is still with JH.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,566 of 3,931
So I think I'm going to send in my SE530s and go through Null to get the extra 3 drivers and the remold. Any recommendation on the most durable cable? I've had issues with fraying around the ears from every pair of Shures I've owned. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #1,567 of 3,931
Not extra 3 driver! one driver get's taken out, and four gets added in
smily_headphones1.gif
. a Machine made cable is the best, so Westone or UE. Westone would look better.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #1,568 of 3,931
Haha thanks for the correction.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #1,569 of 3,931
Hello ... just picked up a pair of used JH13s and just started researching companies that do remolds. Has anyone had their JH13s remolded by UM? I live in Tokyo, so the proximity is certainly a plus. What is your experience and what did you pay? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

skoog

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #1,570 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by skoog5600 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello ... just picked up a pair of used JH13s and just started researching companies that do remolds. Has anyone had their JH13s remolded by UM? I live in Tokyo, so the proximity is certainly a plus. What is your experience and what did you pay? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

skoog

I would recommend using UM and staying far away from Fisher. As one of the only people to have gotten remolds from both companies, UM is miles better than Fisher in terms of professionalism, quality and technical expertise.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #1,571 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend using UM and staying far away from Fisher. As one of the only people to have gotten remolds from both companies, UM is miles better than Fisher in terms of professionalism, quality and technical expertise.

Kobayashi-san,

Thank you for the recommendations. I was considering Fisher. Have you had JH13s remolded?

skoog-san

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #1,572 of 3,931
I just got my TF11s back, and I am generally happy with them. I am going to exchange the cable as they sent me a clear purple storm instead of the black es3 I wanted. That's ok, because I just realized that the es3 cable is only available with a right-angle plug and I need a straight plug, so I will end up with a black Vienna cable. I will be using the stock TF10 cable until the exchange is complete, and there is a definite difference in SQ to my ears between that and the purple storm.

Aesthetically, they didn't come out quite like I had imagined but I like them anyways and still don't know if what I wanted was even possible (post #1428). So I have no problem with the color scheme, here is a couple of obligatory pics:

SANY0052.JPG

SANY0054.JPG

I didn't like the sound initially, the crisp TF10 highs were gone and the bass was boomy if not bloated with an overall "thick" kind of sound.. But after a short break-in period the soundstage is improving, and the dynamics are getting more defined and focused. They are very different-sounding than my eQ7s, which are crisper and more musical, but I am hoping for more improvement with the TF11s. As they are now, the TF-11s compliment the e-Q7s, in the sense that they are complete opposites.

But my main issue is comfort. I had to send in a second set of impressions, and UM said that they were now "perfect". I have used them a few times now, but I am not coming close to "getting used to them". There isn't any particular pressure points that I can identify as problematic, but they just seem really TIGHT and bulky, and there is no way I can lie on my side comfortably with them, which I was hoping to be able to do. They do get a bit painful after a few albums, but it seems to be an overall discomfort more than a sore spot.

This is my first foray into custom-molded acrylic IEM-land, and I don't know if something is wrong here, or I am just not used to them, or what the issue really is. I never thought as my e-Q7s as the most comfortable IEM (but no complaints really), but they feel wonderful when I get them back in my ears after the TF-11s. I like the e-Q7's sound better so far as well, but hopefully both things will change.

The seal is quite good, doesn't change when I yawn, etc., but I am worried that they will always be uncomfortable, and I have no idea if I need a re-fit. They feel stiff, bulky and very tight, like I just want them to be a bit smaller. Should I try for some kind of re-fit, or just let my ears grow, or maybe I will get used to them and the discomfort will go away; what do you guys think?

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #1,574 of 3,931
Grokit, I would definitely recommend trying to get used to them. Frankly, I specifically asked UM to make my stems bigger. I prefer too big a shell than too little. I wouldn't want the seal loosening every time I smile, yawn, etc. and my ears have become pretty desensitized to monitors. I think you're better off with a tighter fit. That's just my personal preference. Give them time.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #1,575 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by skoog5600 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kobayashi-san,

Thank you for the recommendations. I was considering Fisher. Have you had JH13s remolded?

skoog-san

I have UE5EBs remolded by Fisher and TF18s done by UM. Fisher's quality control was really bad (needed five remolds before they were "right") and their expertise was lacking because they had wildly different sound port locations and lengths between each side.

My recommendation would be to save up a little and get JH16s directly from JHA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back