Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #1,577 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grokit, I would definitely recommend trying to get used to them. Frankly, I specifically asked UM to make my stems bigger. I prefer too big a shell than too little. I wouldn't want the seal loosening every time I smile, yawn, etc. and my ears have become pretty desensitized to monitors. I think you're better off with a tighter fit. That's just my personal preference. Give them time.

Thanks for the reply, mistertomlinson. That is just what I needed to "hear". Hopefully the discomfort is something I just need to adapt to and the problem will be solved..

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #1,579 of 3,931
hi guys,

I've got this intention: to combine my Livewires 3 and UM2 for a custom!? any comments on this combination? maybe if its not enough, I'll throw in a UE5pro!?

wonder how will it be like?

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #1,580 of 3,931
UHHHGG!!!
Been away from the forum for awhile ( other projects have taken front burner since its FINALY spring here....)
And I was trying to be a good lurker and catch up since my last post... somewhere around page 60 or 70 ish. got to the 90's and ran out of time/patience for today, man this is a ling thread.

I own 2 sets of TF10's, and unless there is something new from UM for these I will be getting the TF-18 mod. I know there is an 8 driver available, but I have yet to see a reveiw on it, and from what i have read on the TF-18, it is far removed from the TF-10's sound signature: over emphisised highs and recessed mids. and the TF-18 has plenty-o-low end...
very_evil_smiley.gif
witch is good to.

So before I make the plunge on the TF-18, has anyone compaired the TF 8 driver to the 6 (TF-18)?

I also read a post sugesting that they are now offering a 6 driver ( possibly 8? ) uprade for the UM3X, is this true? If so I may have to save up for that as well, has anyon had this done? reveiws? inofo?

I work stupid long hours out of town ( 14-18 a day ) so getting to the audiologist is a problem, but I will have a couple of days off this week, so I will be getting impressions done, woo-hoo!

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #1,581 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by r31t0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i cant wait for my um3x 6 drivers mod with balanced cable!

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
tongue.gif
opc orn:
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

I cant wait for you to get them either!

I have both UM3X's and TF-10's, and I love my UM3X's. TF-10's seem a bit over emphisised ( bordering on "sythisised" ) in the highs, and mids are recessed a bit. The UM3x's are much more ballanced, though not quite as "fun" sounding, I actually prefer the UM3X's as the TF-10's are a bit fatigue inducing.

I have read that the TF-18 mod cures this, and I will be getting a set, but I would love to do a 6 driver UM3X! has anyone else done it?

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
tongue.gif
opc orn:
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #1,587 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsoelivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@qodnec
How's your tf18 now? Does the sound change now?

They are simply amazing! I can find no fault with them
beyersmile.png

I am now wondering how much better it can get with an amp or a TWag. Hmmmm....

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #1,588 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give them time.

Good advice, but as these are my first customs it turns out that I was making a beginner's mistake with them; now the comfort and SQ have dramatically improved.

I don't think they will ever work for lying on my side, but I can use my RE1s for that if I really want to.

Now the custom TF-11s seem to be on more "equal footing" with my universal fit e-Q7s, we'll see if they can somehow best them (but it will still be tough).

No matter, as they are so different from each other in so many ways that they compliment each other. Besides the obvious look/fit comparisons, the TF-11s have a wider soundstage with more depth. They are also warmer, and slightly less accurate. While neither has any glaring deficiencies, the combination of detail and musicality is tough to beat with the e-Q7s. They both have great extension, jury's still out!

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #1,589 of 3,931
Check 'em out...clear black bodies with silver painted clear faceplates.

I may put some rub-on stencils on the faceplate which should cast a cool-looking shadow on the silver background.

They fit wonderfully with a fantastic seal.

The bad part about them is that the sound is a bit disappointing compared to the original SE530/E500. The isolation and soundstage is awesome but the low end has been significantly cut. The smooth driving bass is no longer there - they still hit the low notes, but the amplitude is just diminished.

My theory is that the ports from the bass drivers now vent into a much larger cavity as compared to the original SE530 shells. Looking at my big custom IEMs, the airspace is probably a good 5x or more than the SE530s.

Oh well...at least I can look cool wearing them.

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #1,590 of 3,931
Hmm guys, don't you think that remolding UM3x to get 6 drivers is rather pointless? I mean I am almost sure that they throw CI driver away because of its size. If so you have only TWFK so adding another 2x dual drivers means you have TF18 or SE530 or something really close.
Now what's my point? You can buy TWFK for $50/pc UM3x costs $300.

Though if they made 6driver-UM3x from 2xCI 1xTWFK and one dual-woofer that could be tempting
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back