Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #646 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one buys a pair of SE530 for $500 anymore
wink.gif
They go for $200-$250 USD on eBay, who needs authorized dealer if you're going to take them apart anyways.

true that, and there's one reshelled one in the sales section going at 140

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #649 of 3,931
I wrote to Sam from UM regarding their 6 driver custom using reshelled SE530. Here's what they have to say:

Quote:

about usd 383(shipping si not included). now we can take order!
The custom with six drivers is better than UM mage for the whole sound.but both products are different sound signature.
the sound of um mage is very strong in the whole balance analyzing the details. wide soundstage and frequency respond, the custom for six drivers shall keep original mid and low frequency sound of se 530. especially strengthing bass and more deep, high frequency sound is clarity and long. The custom is made of two low ,two mid and two high drivers. we shall provide free box. cable is not include.

I think it generally sounds like an excellent deal, but I have heard the UM Mage customs (though fit wasn't good cos it was some1 else's) and I like it that it sounds largely like the UM3X but has greater soundstage and more exciting/brighter highs. And at the Null-Audio price vs buying a pair of se 530 and reshelling them, i am more inclined to go for the former.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #650 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wrote to Sam from UM regarding their 6 driver custom using reshelled SE530.

When did Sam respond?

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #651 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And at the Null-Audio price vs buying a pair of se 530 and reshelling them, i am more inclined to go for the former.

no se530 remolded 6 driver custom for you sir?

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #653 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by hairygorillaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird. I got a negative response on SGHeadphone. Hmm

maybe Stereo has not been updated yet?

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #654 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by hairygorillaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird. I got a negative response on SGHeadphone. Hmm

Sam told me he had a client that wanted the SE420 + driver, and he himself was working on it. So yes i'm sure you can.

Also for the $383 USD + SE530, i don't think it's a bad deal at all. Se530's run for like i said $200-$250 on Ebay, menaingif you add it up it's about $580-$630 + $40 USD for shipping. Meaning it's only about $80-$100 more than the Mage, this is a monitor that is superior to the mage and uses more material. It doesn't seem that bad, but hey who wants to take the plunge before they get into my hands for testing?
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #655 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did Sam respond?

Wrote to him over yesterday (1 Jan Singapore time)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no se530 remolded 6 driver custom for you sir?

Probably not. As Felix put it, I would need to acquire an SE530 first, get ear molds myself and then ship everything to China to UM. Think its more convenient for me to get the UM Mages directly from Null which provides free ear molds.

Not sure if the SE530 upgrade is the sound I like. I tried the UM Mages at Stereo, and I kinda liked the sound even when it wasn't a perfect fit (well, its some1 else's custom). Wide soundstage compared to the UM3X and lovely mids and highs, and the bass is sufficient for me.

Quote:

Sam told me he had a client that wanted the SE420 + driver, and he himself was working on it. So yes i'm sure you can.

Also for the $383 USD + SE530, i don't think it's a bad deal at all. Se530's run for like i said $200-$250 on Ebay, menaingif you add it up it's about $580-$630 + $40 USD for shipping. Meaning it's only about $80-$100 more than the Mage, this is a monitor that is superior to the mage and uses more material. It doesn't seem that bad, but hey who wants to take the plunge before they get into my hands for testing?
wink.gif

I agree it is a good price, but it will definitely cost more than the UM Mages, which I think may suit my needs. Not sure if I need to go for a 6 driver IEM, though I'm sure it will sound good.

Would be interested in a review vs the JH13 though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #657 of 3,931
Quote:

wink.gif

hang on, is the 6driver 530s from the previous 'SHAYS' you were supposed to be getting previously?
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #658 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by B[van] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hang on, is the 6driver 530s from the previous 'SHAYS' you were supposed to be getting previously?
biggrin.gif

oh ya. where is your SHAYS? lol.

was waiting for your review on that.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #659 of 3,931
Yes there are fake shures, but only for the E2c, and E4c. The other models are too hard to imitate. Those two models are easy to imitate and make counterfeits as the housing is a OEM housing where as the rest of the line are housing made exclusively for Shure.

I found this out when other company's were using the housing of the E2C and E4c.

The SHAYS project has died as one of the high drivers in my SE530 was having problems, so we were missing a driver for the SHAYS. However, this is gonna be way cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back