Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #451 of 3,931
I have to wholeheartedly agree with hammck, the cabling on Shure IEMs is utter crap.
Fortunately the cables on my E3Cs deteriorated so fast that I could replace them under warranty
wink.gif
They just got brittle from the skin moisture and broke.

As for the UE11 cables: I also love their flexibilty. They just fall nicely into place. I actually ordered the silver ones but I kinda like the black ones now that I have them. Anyway, nothing to make a fuss about, considering how satisfied I am with the Reshell
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #452 of 3,931
I love Westone's Silver cable the most. It's twisted the most tightly in bunch. The feeling of silver cables are just so much better than black one, they feel more flexible and are kinda cloth like. Yes it's silver, so it will green overtime. But i just wished black cables had the feel, flexibility, and the tight twist of the silver but kept it's non-greening properties. Then we would have the best cable.

I myself am not the biggest fan of the UE cable since if you have small ears, you won't be able to get the recessed socket, and then the connector of the cable sticks out of your monitor in the worst possible way and you have a large block of plastic in front of your monitors.

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #453 of 3,931
Dumb question but are the Westone and UE cables completely interchangable. Im getting my SE530 done by that other company with a UE connector but Im not sure I like the look of their cables. I think I may prefer the westone cable also.

I hope I didnt make a bad choice going with that other place because of how fantastic the UM costoms look, but honestly I had already decided I wasnt sending my SE530 to China or wait more then a couple weeks in total no matter what, so I technically didnt take any business away from UM anyhow. But I think my first true custom will be the Mage. Then I dont have to send $350 worth of headphones through the mail to China. Just have to wait for them to show up.

Nov 22, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #454 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dumb question but are the Westone and UE cables completely interchangable. Im getting my SE530 done by that other company with a UE connector but Im not sure I like the look of their cables. I think I may prefer the westone cable also.

I hope I didnt make a bad choice going with that other place because of how fantastic the UM costoms look, but honestly I had already decided I wasnt sending my SE530 to China or wait more then a couple weeks in total no matter what, so I technically didnt take any business away from UM anyhow. But I think my first true custom will be the Mage. Then I dont have to send $350 worth of headphones through the mail to China. Just have to wait for them to show up.

The Westone and UE cable are not interchangeable, The UE connectors are shorter, and the diameter of the prongs are also smaller. I actually quite like the look of the cable from Fisher Hearing.

According to owners of Fisher Hearing and UM, UM"s do do a better job in putting them together. Better aesthetics, but quality should be the same. I wouldn't be worried with shipping something to China as honestly their mailing system is superior to Canada's, and FAR superior than United States. But yes i do understand, why not just insure the package to $350?

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #455 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Westone and UE cable are not interchangeable, The UE connectors are shorter, and the diameter of the prongs are also smaller. I actually quite like the look of the cable from Fisher Hearing.

According to owners of Fisher Hearing and UM, UM"s do do a better job in putting them together. Better aesthetics, but quality should be the same. I wouldn't be worried with shipping something to China as honestly their mailing system is superior to Canada's, and FAR superior than United States. But yes i do understand, why not just insure the package to $350?

Well, I did insure mine for that when sending to Florida. They said it will be 3-4 days in office and I overnighted for $17. Yes Im that impatient. But now that I will have my first customs maybe Ill be able to be more patient and send my SA6 or buy the mage from them soon enough. This was my way of making sure I got a quick fix also. But Im just a bit worried I went with an unproven company and the UM ones look so perty lol.

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #456 of 3,931
What about the sound quality of the cables? Any advice on Westone vs UE vs Null etc, Or are they fairly similar sounding? Maybe it's just a comfort thing. I was rather hoping to try other cables out on my SE530 reshell...got the custom fitting, if it makes a difference.

@MaoDi
I must have bigger ears than i thought, don't seem to have the connector problem you mentioned. However I am a bit new to this, maybe I haven't noticed.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #457 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...According to owners of Fisher Hearing and UM, UM"s do do a better job in putting them together. Better aesthetics, but quality should be the same...

MaoDi, I'm a little concerned with that statement. Are you saying the owners of Fisher Hearing claim that UM does a better job in putting them together. I can't imagine a company saying a competitor does a better job.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #458 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MaoDi, I'm a little concerned with that statement. Are you saying the owners of Fisher Hearing claim that UM does a better job in putting them together. I can't imagine a company saying a competitor does a better job.

He means customers of both companies (likely).

Nov 22, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #460 of 3,931
I read it somewhere on hear. Build quality both are superb, but according to some post i read (i'll try to dig it up) the UM's Aesthetics are better than Fisher. I wouldn't worry about it, looking at Fisher's remolding they look superb. Also, they seem to do a better job on artwork.

Nov 23, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #461 of 3,931
Sending my SE530 order off tomorrow. Can someone please explain the difference between dual bore and single bore? (Other than the extra hole).

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #462 of 3,931
If you have time and really want to know, just go to this patent documents.

In-ear monitor with shaped dual bore - Patent 7263195

See who is the inventor and holds the dual bores IEMs pattern.
smily_headphones1.gif

In short, dual bores provides
1) better 'sound/wave guidance' to the main bore, and the drivers can be arranged much more freely in very limited space.
2) Better sound spectrum tuning. With 2 set of different filters, the sound can be tuned much more accurate. (See Fig 5)

So, dual bores supposed to be to produce much accurate sound. As usual, please correct me, if I am wrong.

Thank you.

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #465 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckWang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hum,..

Looks interesting. Another gift idea for my girlfriend. After reading the first few pages, I guess I won't be ready for Christmas right?

I've been following pretty close, and it appears door-to-door turnover has been between 25 days and 2 months. But if you paid for fast shipping both directions, you could probably cut that down by a week or two.

It would be tight to get them by Christmas. Also, does your girlfriend already have ear impressions? Or would you have to say "I want you to go have this goop squirted in your ears at the audiologist, but I can't tell you why"?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back