Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #481 of 3,931
Mine have just arrived.

Damn! These things are sexy!

Will post photos later.

Noinimod; one of the pairs I had reshelled were se530s (my 2nd replacement pair - orginally e500s). I say go for it. The isolation is slightly 'different' to foam tips, but still extremely good assuming you get decent impressions. I couldn't stand the cable on the Shures and my latest pair were now outside of the warranty period, so I decided just to go for it. If the cable breaks this time, I just buy a UE replacement cable.

To my ears, they sound better after the re-shell. Better imaging & soundstage. As the seal is so great, bass performance is brilliant.

Did I mention these are sexy? Especially in purple.

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #482 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sending my SE530 order off tomorrow. Can someone please explain the difference between dual bore and single bore? (Other than the extra hole).

Hope your customs turn out well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Would like to confirm that you are adding an extra driver to the Shures se530s, making it a quad driver?

My understanding was that Unique Melody doesnt offer the extra driver option for the se530, so am somewhat confused now.

Thanks.

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #484 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here actually had custom TIPS made with UM instead of reshelling the whole iem? Their pricing seems pretty good too. My rationale is, i can at least get a taste of what customs isolate like, and if i don't, i don't stand to lose that much (since it's only a tip)
Most importantly, my se530s are still under warranty and i think i'd like to keep them that way (until it does run out) lol.

The isolation is really the main reason why i wanna give this a go, so if it's not going to give me gains in that area, i probably won't bother then.

Any thoughts?

I'd say go for the reshell too. I got my SE530 back last week and I'm very happy. I posted pics a page or so back. Seal is great, I have a great audiologist here in Wellington, and the shells are super well made. I think the sound stage is better than with the generic foam olive tips, better definition too. So all in all, I wish I had done it sooner. Still, I was having major cable issues with no warranty.
Also something to consider, once you get customs made, it'll put you on the road of custom IEM's. You won't look back (but your wallet will)

Nov 27, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #485 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by abadr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine have just arrived.

Will post photos later.

X2, Have to reinforce that the build quality is exactly that - Q U A L I T Y. And a perfect fit first time.
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here actually had custom TIPS made with UM instead of reshelling the whole iem? Their pricing seems pretty good too.

I'm seriously thinking about it for my Etymotic ER4Ps.

I'll see how these re-shelled JH13Pros settle first, and I'm also waiting on an adapter being made so I can use my Picollino Livewires cable with the ER4Ps (and if that all goes to plan then I'll be able to compare Picollino driven ER4Ps, Livewires T1s and re-shelled JH13Pros
eek.gif
).

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #486 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by qussl3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope your customs turn out well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Would like to confirm that you are adding an extra driver to the Shures se530s, making it a quad driver?

My understanding was that Unique Melody doesnt offer the extra driver option for the se530, so am somewhat confused now.

Thanks.

Thanks, I hope so too! I decided against the extra driver in the end, but you can add it to the SE530 remold if you choose.

I just couldn't get a clear reliable answer from UM about what they do to include the extra driver, or what sort of driver it would be. From what I can gather it seems as though they add a 'mid driver' but that it somehow acts as a high or treble driver (either that or the existing mid driver does), so you end up with 1 treble, 1 mid and 2 bass drivers. That's my impression from cobbling together and translating a few emails, but may not be accurate. The alternative summary I came up with is that by adding a second mid driver, it simply means the mids (and therefore highs in the case of the SE530 as mids and highs come from the same mid driver) are more dominant by comparison. I tend to think that's probably the most likely scenario, and don't personally like the idea of just adding a random mid driver. I presume (ignorantly) that companies like Shure go to some effort in matching, tuning or at least selecting drivers that have synergy. Seems counterproductive then to throw an unrelated driver in the mix...

Sam did mention that it would cause a significant change to the sound signature, and I decided that wasn't something I wanted to gamble on. It's also a 230USD upgrade for the extra driver alone which I decided was a bit of a steep price for blind faith. Once you add the remold, cost of impressions, cost of cable, postage etc, you're probably better off selling 530's and getting something 'tried and tested'. It's not as if the extra drivers are matched or tuned from what I can gather (aside from drilling a hole in the side of the shell if things don't sound quite right... seems a bit archaic TBH, not to mention the impact it has on unwanted sound leaking in).

Sam also mentioned that the dual bore has a significant impact on sound signature, saying 'sound shall be changed most comparing to One bore' which I took to mean that it is the mod that has the most impact on sound signature. Again, it's not something I wanted to take a gamble on. I generally like how my SE530's sound, it's just a shame they're made by a company who refuse to properly support their clientele, and that they fall apart at will... Looking forward to that being a thing of the past!

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #487 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I hope so too! I decided against the extra driver in the end, but you can add it to the SE530 remold if you choose.

I just couldn't get a clear reliable answer from UM about what they do to include the extra driver, or what sort of driver it would be. From what I can gather it seems as though they add a 'mid driver' but that it somehow acts as a high or treble driver (either that or the existing mid driver does), so you end up with 1 treble, 1 mid and 2 bass drivers. That's my impression from cobbling together and translating a few emails, but may not be accurate. The alternative summary I came up with is that by adding a second mid driver, it simply means the mids (and therefore highs in the case of the SE530 as mids and highs come from the same mid driver) are more dominant by comparison. I tend to think that's probably the most likely scenario, and don't personally like the idea of just adding a random mid driver. I presume (ignorantly) that companies like Shure go to some effort in matching, tuning or at least selecting drivers that have synergy. Seems counterproductive then to throw an unrelated driver in the mix...

Sam did mention that it would cause a significant change to the sound signature, and I decided that wasn't something I wanted to gamble on. It's also a 230USD upgrade for the extra driver alone which I decided was a bit of a steep price for blind faith. Once you add the remold, cost of impressions, cost of cable, postage etc, you're probably better off selling 530's and getting something 'tried and tested'. It's not as if the extra drivers are matched or tuned from what I can gather (aside from drilling a hole in the side of the shell if things don't sound quite right... seems a bit archaic TBH, not to mention the impact it has on unwanted sound leaking in).

Sam also mentioned that the dual bore has a significant impact on sound signature, saying 'sound shall be changed most comparing to One bore' which I took to mean that it is the mod that has the most impact on sound signature. Again, it's not something I wanted to take a gamble on. I generally like how my SE530's sound, it's just a shame they're made by a company who refuse to properly support their clientele, and that they fall apart at will... Looking forward to that being a thing of the past!

Well looks like I may the guinea pig after all :p

I got my Se530 on the cheap (a distributor clearance) so it isnt that much of a risk.

Heard there may be someone else who might be going the dual bore extra driver route, if there's any info i'll post it up
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #488 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by abadr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine have just arrived.

Damn! These things are sexy!

Will post photos later.

Noinimod; one of the pairs I had reshelled were se530s (my 2nd replacement pair - orginally e500s). I say go for it. The isolation is slightly 'different' to foam tips, but still extremely good assuming you get decent impressions. I couldn't stand the cable on the Shures and my latest pair were now outside of the warranty period, so I decided just to go for it. If the cable breaks this time, I just buy a UE replacement cable.

To my ears, they sound better after the re-shell. Better imaging & soundstage. As the seal is so great, bass performance is brilliant.

Did I mention these are sexy? Especially in purple.

Pics?
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #489 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by qussl3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well looks like I may the guinea pig after all :p

I got my Se530 on the cheap (a distributor clearance) so it isnt that much of a risk.

Heard there may be someone else who might be going the dual bore extra driver route, if there's any info i'll post it up
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah if I went for the extra driver I'd probably go dual bore too, makes more sense to me in that situation. I'm sure any additional info you can offer will be welcome, not much of it about as yet. If I got a satisfactory answer from UM I probably would have taken a very different path, not that it's their fault, I know Sam was being as helpful as he could be.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #492 of 3,931
I just paid Sam, so my reshelled Triple.Fi 10 Pro + additional driver should be here on thursday :p Pictures will be posted! I can't wait...

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #494 of 3,931
@abadr: both looks amazing but i'm sold for the purple one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back